Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:58 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is state dependent. In Texas you cannot get a DL if you are illegal.
You have to prove your resident status with birth cert., green card, visa, etc. Not every state just hands out DL's to anyone who walks through the door.
Which you can if, at some point, you had legal status.... Meaning, that you can be illegal and still have a DL from the time when you were here legally...

All I am trying to convey is that a DL can not prove citizenship - there are way too many ways to obtain a DL even if you are not here legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Which you can if, at some point, you had legal status.... Meaning, that you can be illegal and still have a DL from the time when you were here legally...

All I am trying to convey is that a DL can not prove citizenship - there are way too many ways to obtain a DL even if you are not here legally.
Texas updated their laws to account for that in 2008.
We also have a problem with illegals here in Texas. Maybe ALL states should issue DL's like Texas does.

Tx DPS New Texas Driving Laws

"Upon verification of lawful status in the U.S. the individual will receive a license with a Temporary Visitor designation and status date on the face of the card. The new rule also requires the cardholder to provide proof that their lawful status has been updated or extended before DPS will issue a duplicate or renewal. DPS will cancel the license or ID card if the cardholder is unable to present valid documentation that shows federal approval to remain in the United States beyond the status date.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What about them? If they are presently living in this country they should still have a DL or state I.D. on them. Language has nothing to do with it. Many green card holders don't necessarily speak good English but it is the green card that matters here, not their langauge skills.
Yes, the law is very clear on that. As I asked before, how does a US citizen prove that he or she is a US citizen?

I did not bring up the argument that speaking English will get you out of a situation where your legal status is questionable.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas updated their laws to account for that in 2008.
We also have a problem with illegals here in Texas. Maybe ALL states should issue DL's like Texas does.

Tx DPS New Texas Driving Laws

"Upon verification of lawful status in the U.S. the individual will receive a license with a Temporary Visitor designation and status date on the face of the card. The new rule also requires the cardholder to provide proof that their lawful status has been updated or extended before DPS will issue a duplicate or renewal. DPS will cancel the license or ID card if the cardholder is unable to present valid documentation that shows federal approval to remain in the United States beyond the status date.
Ah, that is excellent - yes, if all states were to adopt this law, a DL could certainly be used! Glad to see that Texas is doing it right!

Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
Even if that meant that the life you have lived for ten years would be taken away? Even if that meant that your wife would be deported? Or your two children, who have never lived anywhere else? Or the place where you are from is Ciudad Juarez where your chances of being killed are quite high? Or you would have to go to a place where there are no jobs, leaving your family to live on the streets? Really? For a mugging? Or if you witnessed a break-in?

You would risk all that to do the "right thing?"

Individual situations are quite varied and reasons to be in the US illegally are manifold...
And so are the situations for illegal immigrants coming from South and Central America into Mexico.

Do you think for one minute that Mexico's immigration laws take individual situations into account? Hardly...illegal in Mexico? Jail and then OUT!

I have no sympathy for the individual situations. Illegal aliens know that they are in this country illegally. They know it's a crap shoot as to whether they are caught and deported or whether they are able to fly under the radar.

There are people in the world who are a hell of a lot worse off than our neighbors to the south and I don't see any of the illegal immigration apologists coming forward to see that they are allowed into this country. The only concern seems to be for those of Mexican descent.

Now THAT is racist.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
And so are the situations for illegal immigrants coming from South and Central America into Mexico.

Do you think for one minute that Mexico's immigration laws take individual situations into account? Hardly...illegal in Mexico? Jail and then OUT!

I have no sympathy for the individual situations. Illegal aliens know that they are in this country illegally. They know it's a crap shoot as to whether they are caught and deported or whether they are able to fly under the radar.

There are people in the world who are a hell of a lot worse off than our neighbors to the south and I don't see any of the illegal immigration apologists coming forward to see that they are allowed into this country. The only concern seems to be for those of Mexican descent.

Now THAT is racist.
You misunderstood me. I didn't say that the situation in Mexico could be used as a justification for coming to the US illegally. We were taking about "doing the right thing" if you were to witness an accident or another crime. Would you, as an illegal immigrant, do the right thing if it meant that you and your family were to be sent back to the hell that you came from... GIL3 would - so I wondered if his statement would still apply if the price he and his family would have to pay for being "discovered" and deported was really high. See, he might "do the right thing" as an illegal if the consequences simply affected him - but what if the consequences reach much further?

Old 04-30-2010, 04:19 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,253 times
Quote:
You misunderstood me. I didn't say that the situation in Mexico could be used as a justification for coming to the US illegally. We were taking about "doing the right thing" if you were to witness an accident or another crime. Would you, as an illegal immigrant, do the right thing if it meant that you and your family were to be sent back to the hell that you came from...
I would imagine that if I were deported, then I would have to step up for my family and do the right thing--the entire country of Mexico is not some huge hell hole. There are great parts of Mexico and there are jobs to be had.

Otherwise, I would hope that I would have the moral fortitude NOT to come to the U.S. illegally and instead, go through the legal channels which would be available to me (And don't try to tell me that it's too difficult to emigrate legally from Mexico. I just finished an immigration law class--you would be surprised at the number of VISA options available to our neighbors to the south).

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:

Now THAT is racist.
As I've said, I don't like any immigrants--even ones from other states in our own country. The thing is, I can't tell, just by looking, if someone is an immigrant or not.

I was in Israel in '89, and walked by a great number of people. I couldn't tell the Jews from the Arabs. They all looked the same to me.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that if I were deported, then I would have to step up for my family and do the right thing--the entire country of Mexico is not some huge hell hole. There are great parts of Mexico and there are jobs to be had.

Otherwise, I would hope that I would have the moral fortitude NOT to come to the U.S. illegally and instead, go through the legal channels which would be available to me (And don't try to tell me that it's too difficult to emigrate legally from Mexico. I just finished an immigration law class--you would be surprised at the number of VISA options available to our neighbors to the south).
Yeah, I would hope that, too. Unfortunately, millions of illegal immigrants appear to forgo such principles, which means that they area already here.

I think most agree that this is not acceptable - and now we are trying to figure out how to handle this situation.

I can only hope that Arizona's actions will finally wake up the Federal Government and force them to address this situation rather than just push it aside.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As I've said, I don't like any immigrants--even ones from other states in our own country. The thing is, I can't tell, just by looking, if someone is an immigrant or not.

I was in Israel in '89, and walked by a great number of people. I couldn't tell the Jews from the Arabs. They all looked the same to me.
No one can - one of the great things about the US is that its citizens come in all shapes and colors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration