Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I, and most of the people of this country agree with you that true amnesty would be a wrong solution to the immigration problems we face. I for one would fight against any amnesty program proposed by the Obama administration. The sticky part is the question, "What constitutes amnesty?"
My interpretation of that would be anything that side steps our current process to come here legally. If we need to up Visas for ag jobs fine but I don't think our current system needs tossed just because people want access to our jobs and social service network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
I, and most of the people of this country agree with you that true amnesty would be a wrong solution to the immigration problems we face. I for one would fight against any amnesty program proposed by the Obama administration. The sticky part is the question, "What constitutes amnesty?"
I’ll tell you what constitutes amnesty -- the legalization of the illegal aliens currently in this country. The proposed bill forgives all, including the illegal employers.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The vast majority of citizens of this country are indeed opposed to illegal immigration. We want our borders secured, and our laws enforced. However, just as there are radicals on the right, there are also radicals on the left, who most definitely qualify as “pro-illegal.” It is not a right-wing myth, it is a reality. How can you recognize right-wing fanaticism, yet totally dismiss the opposite?

I am truly sick, sick, sick of the partisan bickering. It accomplishes nothing whatsoever. We have untold millions of foreigners illegally living in this country, with thousands more entering daily. Included among these interlopers, are miscreants of every conceivable vile element, as well as terrorists determined to destroy us. We need unity now more than ever. While we engage in nonsensical right/left debates, our country is imploding. If we don’t stand together and DEMAND an end to illegal immigration, we have no one to blame but ourselves. And, we can prepare to kiss our country goodbye.
Seriously this post brought tears to my eyes as we are in grave need of agreement. If everyone so agrees on most issues, the most contentious I believe to be of amnesty for those residing here. There is a great divide in opinion. I think once that issue is addressed and buried, we could all get along just fine.

My opinion is to not reward those who have shown time and again they do not want to be American but only want the entitlements. Why would I want them to stay here? Jumping in line before those who have waited a long time is unfair. Decisions made to raise families here illegally resulting in the possible deportation has always been known to those here illegally so why is it suddenly our fault for breaking up families? Non assimilation is a blatant disrespect of our people-Americans. This is why I favor deporting those here illegally, to name a few. Let's talk solutions.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I’ll tell you what constitutes amnesty -- the legalization of the illegal aliens currently in this country. The proposed bill forgives all, including the illegal employers.
Unless you are referring to the Kennedy/McCain bill that was endorsed by Bush back in 2005, I'm not aware of any bill that is being proposed at this time by the current administration. If you got one, please give me a link to this proposal as I'm highly focused on the current immigration debate going on. I'd prefer an actual link to a proposal and not some opinion piece from either the right or left wing media. Thanks

Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Just as profiling illegals in AZ is the extreme, Amnesty is the other extreme. I don't think we need an extreme solution, we need something in the middle.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Seriously this post brought tears to my eyes as we are in grave need of agreement. If everyone so agrees on most issues, the most contentious I believe to be of amnesty for those residing here. There is a great divide in opinion. I think once that issue is addressed and buried, we could all get along just fine.

My opinion is to not reward those who have shown time and again they do not want to be American but only want the entitlements. Why would I want them to stay here? Jumping in line before those who have waited a long time is unfair. Decisions made to raise families here illegally resulting in the possible deportation has always been known to those here illegally so why is it suddenly our fault for breaking up families? Non assimilation is a blatant disrespect of our people-Americans. This is why I favor deporting those here illegally, to name a few. Let's talk solutions.
Well, you might want to think about the ramifications of forcibly removing 12-15 million people from the country. I am tentitively leaning towards some form of manditory registration of all illegals in the country and the issuance of a temporary work permit for a year. The government agency who oversees the process would be similar to a parole board. If they can prove employment after a year, they can get their temp. work visa renewed for another year, if not they will be deported. We need workers for certain jobs, they need money. Simple as that.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM

Enforcing our laws, to me, is not extreme. Regarding amnesty, I would think exposing themselves, paying a fine, holding businesses accountable for their hiring, making it as impossible as possible to hire them. Allow them to stay with no entitlement to our social services system, cutting off current monies, even with said child born with instant citizenship: It must be proven that at least one parent is a citizen before any services are given. Same rule applies for entering school with the same immunization requirement. Deport all others. Have them apply correctly thus getting at the end of the line. What is wrong with this solution? I am sure I've left a few things out.

I've just read your response mohawx and it is simple that if they are not entitled to our monies, most would self deport. regarding Temp. work visas, it is proven they do not work as most overstay them. The same scenario we have today. And today, Americans need the jobs. We have a guest worker program in place for times of large force workers being needed.

All of this hoopla today is to me a direct scream that they do not want to leave nor have anything they have established messed with. Well it is not good for America what illegal immigration is doing to this country.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Enforcing our laws, to me, is not extreme. Regarding amnesty, I would think exposing themselves, paying a fine, holding businesses accountable for their hiring, making it as impossible as possible to hire them. Allow them to stay with no entitlement to our social services system, cutting off current monies, even with said child born with instant citizenship: It must be proven that at least one parent is a citizen before any services are given. Same rule applies for entering school with the same immunization requirement. Deport all others. Have them apply correctly thus getting at the end of the line. What is wrong with this solution? I am sure I've left a few things out.

I've just read your response mohawx and it is simple that if they are not entitled to our monies, most would self deport. regarding Temp. work visas, it is proven they do not work as most overstay them. The same scenario we have today. And today, Americans need the jobs. We have a guest worker program in place for times of large force workers being needed.

All of this hoopla today is to me a direct scream that they do not want to leave nor have anything they have established messed with. Well it is not good for America what illegal immigration is doing to this country.
Of course they don't want to leave. Nobody wants to leave America once they are here. But they will man up, if they are required to. Like I stated, a parole board system that checks for employment status and mandatory registration. There are jobs and lots of them. The hotel industry is one. Nobody wants to pick carrots for 80 cents a bushel except aliens. Nobody wants to gut chickens all day for 6 bucks an hour. Let's be real here. Most importantly, CLOSE THE BORDERS FIRST!!!!!! We are the only nation that has such an open border. If the federal gov. would just do what it takes to secure our borders then we could deal with the illegals already here on a one on one basis and state by state if need be.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Of course they don't want to leave. Nobody wants to leave America once they are here. But they will man up, if they are required to. Like I stated, a parole board system that checks for employment status and mandatory registration. There are jobs and lots of them. The hotel industry is one. Nobody wants to pick carrots for 80 cents a bushel except aliens. Nobody wants to gut chickens all day for 6 bucks an hour. Let's be real here. Most importantly, CLOSE THE BORDERS FIRST!!!!!! We are the only nation that has such an open border. If the federal gov. would just do what it takes to secure our borders then we could deal with the illegals already here on a one on one basis and state by state if need be.
I really cannot comment on said jobs you mentioned except to say that minimum wage is higher than those you posted and if illegal hiring were not an issue, the wage would be much higher, with benefits! Employers need to be forced to hire only those here legally and outsourcing should be minimal (another issue). There are MANY jobs Americans will do! Housekeeping, Construction, fast food and higher scaled restaurants to name a very few that illegal aliens have taken. I still do not trust a temporary visa program but that is due to my lack of knowledge on the issue, only to know that most overstay and are part of the problem, same with student visas. I'd have to read a foolproof scenario to approve of it.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 AM

Again, the issue of "but if they will man up". I can't see how many would as they have it pretty good in this country being illegal, hence all of the protests. They want amnesty and to continue with practice as it is. Let's just say we ask them to "man up". So you see a nail place, most there on work visas. Can you honestly believe LE will have the time to go and check each place for citizenship or current visas? If they would, they would be doing that now! Impossible. So I see the laws being enforced, firmly, is a good solution as to weeding out those facing criminal chargers and sending home those who fear deportation and permanent ban. Attrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration