Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Arizona's 1070 bill?
Yes 193 73.11%
No 66 25.00%
I don't know 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
1) I believe some states have laws that you need some form of ID (but I will admit that I'm not sure and don't feel like looking it up at the moment).
There is no state in the Union that requires any form of identification unless you are operating some motorized vehicle. If you go out for a jog, to walk the dog, or just to take a walk, you do not have to have any ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
2) It's common sense to have ID when you leave the house. The only time I don't is walking the dog. And it it's a long walk around the neighborhood, I grab my ID and medical card in case something happens.
No, it is a common misconception that ID is required. It is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry, but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail. The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work. The legal people who are "terrified" for their life need to get over themselves, they have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't feel sorry or sympathetic for the illegals AT ALL, they don't deserve to be here.
I notice the protesters do not call for the federal government to improve the immigration process, they just want to be given instant citizenship every twenty years or so.

I meet plenty of people who came to the United States legally, and did not sneak in and hide from the law. The idea that we should feel sorry for someone who has been breaking our laws for twenty years, and has 4 children, does not melt my heart at all.

What if a husband and wife had been stealing a few hundred thousand dollars worth of cars from government agencies, for twenty years? Am I supposed to pity them because their son drives one to work and their daughter is driving hers to college, and they gave away a few stolen cars to friends. No, we arrest the parents for getting away with car theft for twenty years, and take back all the cars they have stolen.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,925,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Here's a scenario:

ALL Americans, white , black, brown, in between...bring your "papers", birth certificate, Driver's license, passport, first born child to:

THE VOTING BOOTH.

Because that is where Brewer plans to hassle people about their legality...hoping to scare away Legal Brown People....who vote predominantly Democrat.

So, to be "fair" and NON-profiling racist...EVERYBODY must provide proof of citizenship at the voting booth...EVERYBODY should be held up and hassled....get ready!!!!!!

That and National ID cards are in

YOUR

future...
Count me in. I'm all for it.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 PM

527 posts, read 467,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is no state in the Union that requires any form of identification unless you are operating some motorized vehicle. If you go out for a jog, to walk the dog, or just to take a walk, you do not have to have any ID.

No, it is a common misconception that ID is required. It is not.
Tell that to the cops--if they ask you for ID and you don't have it, it will probably lead to some problems with those cops-

Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,980,819 times
I totally support this bill and agree with what you said, FLGUy1192

Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You don' know anything about police work if you think police will waste their time seeking out illegal's...
They will only bother with them in when neccessary, they have better things to do with their time..
It's not 'wasting their time'. Under the new law - police departments can be sued if they slack off on apprehending illegals. Most police departments, esp. in smaller towns, will not be able to absorb the $5,000/day penalties + pay the complainant's attorney fees. Only the lawyers will benefit - I'm sure they are already circling and looking for clients...

Under the new law:

G. A PERSON WHO IS A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THIS STATE MAY BRING AN ACTION IN SUPERIOR COURT TO CHALLENGE ANY OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE THAT ADOPTS OR IMPLEMENTS A POLICY OR PRACTICE THAT LIMITS OR RESTRICTS THE ENFORCEMENT OF FEDERAL IMMIGRATION LAWS TO LESS THAN THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY FEDERAL LAW. IF THERE IS A JUDICIAL FINDING THAT AN ENTITY HAS VIOLATED THIS SECTION, THE COURT SHALL ORDER THAT THE ENTITY PAY A CIVIL PENALTY OF NOT LESS THAN ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND NOT MORE THAN FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR EACH DAY THAT THE POLICY HAS REMAINED IN EFFECT AFTER THE FILING OF AN ACTION PURSUANT TO THIS SUBSECTION.

Chapter 0113 - 492R - H Ver of SB1070

Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Tell that to the cops--if they ask you for ID and you don't have it, it will probably lead to some problems with those cops-
I don't need to, they are already very much aware of Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004). They are hoping you are not familiar with the court ruling so you will comply with their request. Even if you have ID on you as you walk down the street, you are not required to provide it if asked by law enforcement. The only thing you are required by law to provide is your legal and proper name, nothing else. Law enforcement already knows this, they are hoping you don't.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM

527 posts, read 467,445 times
Two things that would probably do more to solve the illegal alien problem than this AZ legislation- one would be to legalize marijuana- that would drastically cut the drug business that brings a lot of aliens to this country- the other would be to go after businesses/employers that hire illegals- these are probably two of the biggest reasons that illegals are here in the first place-

Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
Two things that would probably do more to solve the illegal alien problem than this AZ legislation- the other would be to go after businesses/employers that hire illegals- these are probably two of the biggest reasons that illegals are here in the first place-
The bill does go after employers.

Chapter 0113 - 492R - H Ver of SB1070
23-212. Knowingly employing unauthorized aliens
23-212.01. Intentionally employing unauthorized aliens;
- the employer to be subject to a 3-5 year probationary period
- during the probationary period the employer shall file quarterly reports
- 2nd offence - the court shall order the appropriate agencies to permanently revoke all licenses that are held by the employer specific to the business location where the unauthorized alien performed work
- the court shall order the appropriate agencies to permanently revoke all licenses that are held by the employer at the employer's primary place of business

13-2928. Unlawful stopping to hire and pick up passengers for work
A. IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR AN OCCUPANT OF A MOTOR VEHICLE THAT IS STOPPED ON A STREET, ROADWAY OR HIGHWAY TO ATTEMPT TO HIRE OR HIRE AND PICK UP PASSENGERS FOR WORK AT A DIFFERENT LOCATION IF THE MOTOR VEHICLE BLOCKS OR IMPEDES THE NORMAL MOVEMENT OF TRAFFIC.
D. A VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION IS A CLASS 1 MISDEMEANOR.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:16 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,739,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I don't need to, they are already very much aware of Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004). They are hoping you are not familiar with the court ruling so you will comply with their request. Even if you have ID on you as you walk down the street, you are not required to provide it if asked by law enforcement. The only thing you are required by law to provide is your legal and proper name, nothing else. Law enforcement already knows this, they are hoping you don't.
You are correct.
I live in AZ and although I am Caucasian I have been mistaken for Latino many times and have been spoken to in Spanish on numerous occasions.

If or when I am asked by police here in Phoenix for proof of citizenship I will give them my name and no more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration