U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 659,347 times

Advertisements

This applies to the so called "liberals" as well as "libertarians" Sorry, being a Democrat is not automatic qualification for being a liberal, neither is being anti homophobe. For the conservatives who scream about the constitution and "freedom", I challenge you to describe to me in detail the 4th amendment. What rights does the 4th amendment protect? Do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 PM

11,441 posts, read 9,218,824 times
The only law they care about is the right to own guns.
God Ble$$ Ameerica!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:39 PM

57,961 posts, read 29,511,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
This applies to the so called "liberals" as well as "libertarians" Sorry, being a Democrat is not automatic qualification for being a liberal, neither is being anti homophobe. For the conservatives who scream about the constitution and "freedom", I challenge you to describe to me in detail the 4th amendment. What rights does the 4th amendment protect? Do tell.
And it also exposes the fact that many dont understand that the Bill of Rights pertains to citizens, and that the 4th amendment pertains to searches and seizures, which has NOTHING to do with the Arizona bill.

Seriously, how many threads are we going to have on this?

We already have NO RIGHT to travel without ID, citizens or non citizens..
Court challenge of ID requirement fails - USATODAY.com

And the Supreme Court upholds arresting someone for refusal to show ID.
http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/03-5554.ZO.html

Old 04-26-2010, 05:39 PM

3,002 posts, read 2,102,463 times
I haven't followed the details of the AZ law but if during official police business, the suspect is found to be an illegal alien then he or she should be deported immediately.

If the police ask for ID because someone ordered a Happy Meal in Spanish then they have overstepped their authority and should be dealt with. Innocent until proven guilty. Citizen or legal alien until proven otherwise.

And I love my guns also.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 PM

24,828 posts, read 11,361,822 times
I don't think this is a Democrat/Republican issue.

I've seen lots of Republicans who don't support this bill, and there are some Democrats who do.

I honestly believe the state of Arizona is simply trying to solve their illegal immigrant problem. However, I just think this is the wrong way to do it. Its going to cost Arizonians money, time, and reputation.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:45 PM

24,828 posts, read 11,361,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I haven't followed the details of the AZ law but if during official police business, the suspect is found to be an illegal alien then he or she should be deported immediately.

If the police ask for ID because someone ordered a Happy Meal in Spanish then they have overstepped their authority and should be dealt with. Innocent until proven guilty. Citizen or legal alien until proven otherwise.

And I love my guns also.
The law allows law enforcement to check suspected illegal immigrants, if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that they are illegal immigrants.

No law need be broken to run the check. In other words, if a cop sees a Hispanic citizen, or an Irish citizen for that matter, driving, and thinks they look like illegal immigrants, they can pull you over, and ask for proof you're a citizen.

If someone that looks like they are Canadian, is walking to the store, and breaking no law, a cop can pull over, and ask for identification that they are legal citizens.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM

57,961 posts, read 29,511,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The law allows law enforcement to check suspected illegal immigrants, if there is a "reasonable suspicion" that they are illegal immigrants.
Which has already been upheld by the Supreme Court.. Hilbel vs Sixth Justicial District Court of Nevada..

Supreme Court Upholds Constitutionality of Arrest for Refusal to Identify. In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court has narrowly upheld a Nevada law allowing law enforcement to arrest an individual when he refuses to identify himself, and reasonable suspicion--though not probable cause--exists that he has committed a crime. (June 21, 2004)

The "reasonable suspicion" here is that they are violating immigration laws..

Old 04-26-2010, 05:49 PM

5,231 posts, read 7,756,931 times
Too bad we're focusing on those mean, right wingers instead of the blatant disregard illegals have for our own country's laws, otherwise, uhm, they wouldn't be "illegal" and Arizona wouldn't feel it needed to defend it's own borders (as it has every right to).

Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,596,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
They aren't Conservatives, they are Fascists, who want a Police State, as long as they can be in charge.
I live on the Mexican border and i feel more threatened by the Government in Phoenix than the one in Washington

Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM

75,296 posts, read 36,472,776 times
If the Fed were doing their job then AZ would have no need for this law.
Why be upset at AZ..be upset at DC for not doing anything about the illegal problems in the border states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration