Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

Wow, all this time it was perfectly legal to be illegal in the USA then that darn Arizona throws a wrench in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Based on what the new law's protesters are squawking, he won't need to worry since he doesn't look Hispanic.
Did you know that there are black Hispanics?

Now the truth comes out. This is about looking "Hispanic" -- or at least some peoples' idea of what that means. Which is exactly the problem.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its been a crime to be an illegal immigrant.

What this bill does, is makes it legal to search people without good cause.
Yup, I agree. It's a shame that a state has to clean up the federal government's mess.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:03 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post

Now the truth comes out. This is about looking "Hispanic" -- or at least some peoples' idea of what that means. Which is exactly the problem.
My point was about the folks who are screeching "racial profiling" and "brown people" - the law targets illegal aliens, not hispanics or any specific race or ethnicity. The FACT is that an OVERWHELMING %-age of illegals in AZ, a state that borders Mexico, happen to be Mexican. See how that works?

When police are targeting gangbangers, for instance, then they will focus on the areas where gang activity occurs. It's called common sense. If the near 500K illegals in AZ were whites from Canada, then no one would be screaming bloody murder about this law.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM

398 posts, read 818,677 times
They are trying to be politically correct. It is people from Mexico, that are illegal....Mexicans....who can be many shades of "color".

Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post

Really, the only people making this about "looking hispanic" are the folks against the bill.

The bill itself does not have the words "hispanic", "mexican", "latino(a)" or anything else indicating it is aimed at any specific race or nationality.

It further goes on to specify that no investigation shall be performed on complaints that are based solely on a person's apparent race or color.

Basically what this boils down to is those who are against the bill either have not read it, have read it and don't understand it, or have not read it and just don't care and want to complain about it.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Yup, I agree. It's a shame that a state has to clean up the federal government's mess.
When I clean my floor I use a mop. I don't take a red paint bucket and cover it.

There are right ways, and wrong ways of doing things.

If the law said that you could check peoples citizenship status if they have broken a law, or are exhibiting behavior that is common only to illegal immigrants, I wouldn't say a word.

This law allows law enforcement to check anyone, for any reason they want.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
When I clean my floor I use a mop. I don't take a red paint bucket and cover it.
I agree. Unfortunately, we're discussing illegal immigration, not household cleaning.

Quote:
There are right ways, and wrong ways of doing things.
If there were only a right way available.

Quote:
If the law said that you could check peoples citizenship status if they have broken a law, or are exhibiting behavior that is common only to illegal immigrants, I wouldn't say a word.
I totally agree. Too bad we're past that point.

Quote:
Yup.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:

I'm sure they are going to be rounding up every Hispanic they come across and start checking their paperwork. Get a friggin' grip.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,398,505 times
Quote:
Its been a crime to be an illegal immigrant.

What this bill does, is makes it legal to search people without good cause.
If you have a drivers license that says you're Frank Gilispie (or something) and can't speak English I'd say that was a little suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration