U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Reputation: 2049

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
And why don't those that go on and on about illegal immigration focus on the REAL problem of employers?
Because we're a bunch of neo-nazi racists? (That's not tongue-in-cheek.)

I fully support mandates to require SS number verification at time of hire. As it stands, the SS administration has its hands tied. It usually takes a snitch to bring about a workplace raid.
.
But, to my opening statement; any attempt to curtail illegal immigration is met with cries of racism, even those directed at employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The tea party is doing it on its own, rather than trying to get Uncle Sam to enforce something. Basically, the tea party is the exact opposite of these morons.


Not sure what you're getting at. To me, both the teapartiers and the pro-illegals are a bunch of frightened, gutless crybabies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,112 posts, read 15,666,254 times
Reputation: 8792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I'm not sure if these boycott ideas that are being floated will take hold or not. A lot depends on whether the boycotts, if approved, are just symbolic, or if they really have some teeth in them..

Remember Arizona..you reap what you sow..

D.C. Wire - Hispanic leaders to ask for D.C. resolution boycotting new Ariz. immigration law
How do you "boycott" a law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,190,566 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
The tea party is doing it on its own, rather than trying to get Uncle Sam to enforce something. Basically, the tea party is the exact opposite of these morons.
Doing what on their own...waving misspelled racist signs, inciting violence, collecting government checks?

Teabaggers don't do a thing on their own. Heck, they even take their orders from a chalked up alcoholic..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: NE Ohio
30,112 posts, read 15,666,254 times
Reputation: 8792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
And why don't those that go on and on about illegal immigration focus on the REAL problem of employers?
What is the "real problem of employers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,190,566 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
How do you "boycott" a law?

Boycott the state.

Example: In the early 1990's the NFL moved the 1993 Super Bowl site from Phoenix, Ariz., to Pasadena, Calif., because of a boycott of Arizona due to it's refusal to observe MLK day..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,272,491 times
Reputation: 5906
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
What is the "real problem of employers"?
Conservatives and the GOP always like to talk a good game re: "illegal immigration", but the reality is they seldom do much about it, to avoid upsetting their corporate handlers (who benefit the most, thru cheap wages). The Bush Administration became notorious for this:

"The claims of this administration and its commitment to interior enforcement of immigration laws are laughable," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, an advocacy group that favors tougher workplace enforcement, among other measures. "The administration only discovered immigration enforcement over the past few months, five years into its existence, and only then because they realized that a pro-enforcement pose was necessary to get their amnesty plan approved."

"the Bush Administration focused its resources on undocumented workers rather than high value targets like unscrupulous employers and dangerous criminals."

Illegal Hiring Is Rarely Penalized - washingtonpost.com

Ironically, Obama and co. have been much more aggressive about workplace enforcement:

DHS Shifts Focus to Employers (http://www.chirla.org/node/348 - broken link)

Immigrant advocates say immigration enforcement worse under Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Conservatives and the GOP always like to talk a good game re: "illegal immigration", but the reality is they seldom do much about it, to avoid upsetting their corporate handlers (who benefit the most, thru cheap wages). The Bush Administration became notorious for this:

"The claims of this administration and its commitment to interior enforcement of immigration laws are laughable," said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, an advocacy group that favors tougher workplace enforcement, among other measures. "The administration only discovered immigration enforcement over the past few months, five years into its existence, and only then because they realized that a pro-enforcement pose was necessary to get their amnesty plan approved."

"the Bush Administration focused its resources on undocumented workers rather than high value targets like unscrupulous employers and dangerous criminals."

Illegal Hiring Is Rarely Penalized - washingtonpost.com

Ironically, Obama and co. have been much more aggressive about workplace enforcement:

DHS Shifts Focus to Employers (http://www.chirla.org/node/348 - broken link)

Immigrant advocates say immigration enforcement worse under Obama
We should focus on both. Plug the porous border, and for those that get through, stop employers from hiring them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,190,566 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
We should focus on both. Plug the porous border, and for those that get through, stop employers from hiring them.

Stop employers from hiring them and you won't need to plug the borders..

If there are no jobs for them, the motivation for coming here will be removed..

In fact, many illegals that are already here will go back home..

I can only assume those that don't want to get serious with the employers, aren't really serious about illegal immigration..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Denver
9,060 posts, read 15,472,876 times
Reputation: 5288
Stop employers from hiring illegals is the only solution, take the hiring managers to jail, fine the CEO, freeze their assets and treat them like Capital Terrorists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top