U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:49 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,495,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
The brother and son of a President is against this law. I see a crack in the Republican conservative armor.

Jeb Bush speaks out against Ariz. law - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com
This is not a political issue for most Arizonans. It's also not a surprise to anyone who actually understand the issue that GWB's brother would be against a bill since his brother did diddly-squat while he was President either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,172,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
This is not a political issue for most Arizonans. It's also not a surprise to anyone who actually understand the issue that GWB's brother would be against a bill since his brother did diddly-squat while he was President either.
I agree!

But that law in AZ is stupid..

Put the National Guards on the border forever to help the Border Patrol, investigate businesses that keep hiring illegals, put pressure on the Mexican government to do their share to keep their people from entering our country.

Pulling over any Hispanic person because you may think they are illegal is wrong. That is racial discrimination.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,376,036 times
Seems to me a nice DC Rally is just the place to ask for Green Cards, and if none are found, to ARREST these leaders, and send em by slow boat, around the Cape of Good Hope, back to mehico.

No card, no trial, just a long one way sea cruise BACK.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,495,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I agree!

But that law in AZ is stupid..

Put the National Guards on the border forever to help the Border Patrol, investigate businesses that keep hiring illegals, put pressure on the Mexican government to do their share to keep their people from entering our country.

Pulling over any Hispanic person because you may think they are illegal is wrong. That is racial discrimination.
They're not going to "pull over" someone for being Mexican. If you have visited Arizona, you'd know that they have a huge Hispanic population and the police officers who walk the beat understand that the vast majority of them are law-abiding citizens.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio, love him or hate him, is a lighting rod for controversy. He's the "Toughest Sheriff in Town" and the Democrats absolutely bristle at him as he goes out on his self-promotion tours. But...former AZ governor Janet Napolitano hates him the most. She made quick work of sending teams of investigators to see if he was guilty of racial profiling not long after she was named Head of Homeland Security. It's been nearly a year and the investigators have found nothing. That should tell you something about how the police operate in Phoenix and trust me, if there was something questionnable, the investigators would have made it public by now.

The businesses being punished is an important part of this bill and long overdue. You can't tell people to stay in Mexico if they know a company in Arizona will pay them decent wages if only they can get over the border. The businesses are operating by paying the Mexicans nothing short of "slave labor" wages and purposefully keeping them ignorant and scared.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 AM

8,994 posts, read 7,086,859 times
If I could afford it, I would load up the motorhome, hook up the Jeep, and head for Arizona.
I would spend the summer in Flagstaff.
Yes, I would have proper legal documentation of citizenship with me.
I wish I could do it.
Monetary donations to the cause will be gratefully accepted.

Mac_Muz, I just backed up and saw your post. PRICELESS! Simply wonderful! Well done!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,842,800 times

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-28-2010 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If I could afford it, I would load up the motorhome, hook up the Jeep, and head for Arizona.
I would spend the summer in Flagstaff.
Yes, I would have proper legal documentation of citizenship with me.
I wish I could do it.
Monetary donations to the cause will be gratefully accepted.

Mac_Muz, I just backed up and saw your post. PRICELESS! Simply wonderful! Well done!
Flag is a great town. I wandered around there for 2 weeks. Clean place, good eats, clean air, nice folks, sort of euro atmosphere in places, but not snooty. Some thought I was from England LOL, I guess my local New Hampster accent stood out Ayhe'

I sure could have used a jeep! I was riding a heavy cruiser bike with my wife. One funny thing, south of Flag down in Oak Canyon was we met a van full of ladies with NH tags on the van, who told us we were nuts for being so far fron NH

I never did understand that idea. Just don't make no sence

'We' were on our way back East at that point.

What I liked best, was OPEN CARRY. Seeing a local in open carry mode, to me ment I could ask a direction, and not worry about my black leather scarin' sheep.

If you do get to Flag, and 'if' you happen to be into geology, try to locate the lava tunnels there. Somewhat off the beaten path sort of thing.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
You're absolutely right and this is not a political issue for most Arizonans. The Republicans sure weren't in any hurry to get anything done and now the Democrats are calling this bill "unfortunate." What's unfortunate is that a state, who is already suffering greatly from the economic downturn, is having to take matters into their own hands and approve a controversial law in order to get anyone's attention. The media can't stop talking about it, Obama can't stop calling it "unfortunate", and finally the people in Arizona are getting the attention they need to get something done. For decades, this problem has been largely ignored and Arizonans have had a love/hate relationship with the illegal immigrants who provide cheap labor. But in the last 10 years, the crime rate has gone up significantly because no one did anything when it first became a problem. The flood gates have opened on criminal activity and drug gangs who use Phoenix as a backdrop and are turning the city into another Nogales or Tijuana. It's one thing to come and work hard to provide a better life for you family. It's another to hold groups of illegals for ransom and to turn otherwise nice neighborhoods into drug dealing centers. The straw that broke the camel's back here is the crime rate. Phoenix is #2 (above Bogota, Columbia) in kidnappings in the world. This has moved way beyond the crop picker or the landscaper and while most Arizonans sympathize with the plight of people willing to die while crossing the desert to a hopefully better life, what Arizonans are angry about is the criminal activity that has taken over that state, and that's not a Republican or Democratic issue.
There is a lot of misinformation in this post. First this respondent does not even live in Arizona. The crime rate in Phoenix has dropped considerably in the last 2 years. The murder rate dropped by almost half. We used to be ranked the #1 state for auto theft in the 2000's and now we are ranked 4th. Phoenix used to be the #1 ranked city for auto theft and now we aren't ranked in the top 15. This is mostly due to increased law enforcement and our poor economy which forced many illegals to move back to Mexico. Second, Phoenix is not even ranked among the top 20 most dangerous cities for crime despite being the 5th largest city in America. Third, the kidnappings only involve illegals who were smuggled into the country and people involved with the drug trade. They kidnap their children as ransom until they pay their Coyotes (smugglers) the money they owe them.

The people in Arizona laugh at this statisitic because it's so overblown on CNN. None of us actually fear our kid being kidnapped here. The only people who exaggerate this fear is people like the respondent above who live in Colorado or some state not in Arizona.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Arizona did not sow this. We voted for Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, who vacated the position to join Obama. Brewer got lucky and inherited the governorship because she was the Lt. Governor, a figurehead position that no one cares about. Without Brewer, this bill could not be signed into law. No one even knew who Brewer was until she became the governor. She was just some small time conservative that won an office no one cared about. Arizona law mandates the Lt. Governor inherits the Governor position should the governor vacate the position for any reason.

What will happen is Attorney General Terry Goddard is running for governor. He is a Harvard educated born and raised Arizonan and former Phoenix mayor. He will win the election in November.

For the record, most Arizona residents do not support this bill. Yes, we support Joe Arpaio and tough immigration reform but this bill crossed the line because it attacks Hispanic Americans which makes up more than 40% of the Arizona population.

Just how did that happen? """"We voted for Janet Napolitano, a Democrat""""

Janet is unfit to run a rural town dump! Her 'running' HLS is a total joke.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I'm not sure if these boycott ideas that are being floated will take hold or not. A lot depends on whether the boycotts, if approved, are just symbolic, or if they really have some teeth in them..

Remember Arizona..you reap what you sow..

D.C. Wire - Hispanic leaders to ask for D.C. resolution boycotting new Ariz. immigration law

Arizona did not sow this. We voted for Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, who vacated the position to join Obama. Brewer got lucky and inherited the governorship because she was the Lt. Governor, a figurehead position that no one cares about. Without Brewer, this bill could not be signed into law. No one even knew who Brewer was until she became the governor. She was just some small time conservative that won an office no one cared about. Arizona law mandates the Lt. Governor inherits the Governor position should the governor vacate the position for any reason.

What will happen is Attorney General Terry Goddard is running for governor. He is a Harvard educated born and raised Arizonan and former Phoenix mayor. He will win the election in November.

For the record, most Arizona residents do not support this bill. Yes, we support Joe Arpaio and tough immigration reform but this bill crossed the line because it attacks Hispanic Americans which makes up more than 40% of the Arizona population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration