Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
For the record, most Arizona residents do not support this bill. Yes, we support Joe Arpaio and tough immigration reform but this bill crossed the line because it attacks Hispanic Americans which makes up more than 40% of the Arizona population.
No, 70% of those polled support the law but about half have reservations about its enforcement. This law doesn't "attack" anyone, it allows police to find those that have broken Federal laws. That many of these lawbreakers are of Hispanic ethnicity is coincidental. It is not a race issue no matter how much the Hispanic population claims it is.

Finally, illegal immigrants are NOT "Hispanic Americans". They are foreigners and criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:

For the record, most Arizona residents do not support this bill.
you keep repeating this. got a link?

Poll hints 70% of Arizonans favor immigration measure

Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 AM

383 posts, read 222,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
"Do what we want or we'll scream and stomp our feet!"

Where have I heard that before? The Tea Party movement should take notice; lots of new recruits to be had. I have no concern nor respect for crybabies.

Sounds like the naacp when South Carolina would not completely remove the Confederate Flag from state grounds. We see how well that boycott worked.

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:

Arizona did not sow this. We voted for Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, who vacated the position to join Obama. Brewer got lucky and inherited the governorship because she was the Lt. Governor, a figurehead position that no one cares about. Without Brewer, this bill could not be signed into law. No one even knew who Brewer was until she became the governor. She was just some small time conservative that won an office no one cared about. Arizona law mandates the Lt. Governor inherits the Governor position should the governor vacate the position for any reason.

What will happen is Attorney General Terry Goddard is running for governor. He is a Harvard educated born and raised Arizonan and former Phoenix mayor. He will win the election in November.

For the record, most Arizona residents do not support this bill. Yes, we support Joe Arpaio and tough immigration reform but this bill crossed the line because it attacks Hispanic Americans which makes up more than 40% of the Arizona population.
Azriverfan this is more about targetting hispanics than illegals. Not even hispanics are for illegal immigrants!
I don't know how AZ feels on the issue either.

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
They're not going to "pull over" someone for being Mexican. If you have visited Arizona, you'd know that they have a huge Hispanic population and the police officers who walk the beat understand that the vast majority of them are law-abiding citizens.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio, love him or hate him, is a lighting rod for controversy. He's the "Toughest Sheriff in Town" and the Democrats absolutely bristle at him as he goes out on his self-promotion tours. But...former AZ governor Janet Napolitano hates him the most. She made quick work of sending teams of investigators to see if he was guilty of racial profiling not long after she was named Head of Homeland Security. It's been nearly a year and the investigators have found nothing. That should tell you something about how the police operate in Phoenix and trust me, if there was something questionnable, the investigators would have made it public by now.

The businesses being punished is an important part of this bill and long overdue. You can't tell people to stay in Mexico if they know a company in Arizona will pay them decent wages if only they can get over the border. The businesses are operating by paying the Mexicans nothing short of "slave labor" wages and purposefully keeping them ignorant and scared.

I have an Aunt that lives there. I've visited her last year.

Now explain to me how are they going to root out illegals if they don't pull over a Hispanic they believe is illegal then.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:52 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:

Arizona did not sow this. We voted for Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, who vacated the position to join Obama. Brewer got lucky and inherited the governorship because she was the Lt. Governor, a figurehead position that no one cares about. Without Brewer, this bill could not be signed into law. No one even knew who Brewer was until she became the governor. She was just some small time conservative that won an office no one cared about. Arizona law mandates the Lt. Governor inherits the Governor position should the governor vacate the position for any reason.

What will happen is Attorney General Terry Goddard is running for governor. He is a Harvard educated born and raised Arizonan and former Phoenix mayor. He will win the election in November.

Well then, she should have never left the governorship to go work for Obama. I remember there was a lot of talk about what kind of havoc Brewer could cause should she replace Napolitano . It's not as if the former governor was unaware of the situation.

If I lived in Arizona, I'd feel Napolitano let me and the state down..

Btw, the polls I've seen have shown Goddard losing..

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Probably the way this will work is .........

A cop sees a junk car that can't pass muster, and that cops SEES no working tail lights, so the cop stops the car and say Lic and Regi please SIR.

None to be had, so then the cop says Green Card Please, none to be had, so then the cop says you are under arrest, come with me please.....

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Guess who will be the first group of people out of a job if any boycott is successful and a company loses business and has to lay off people? Ummmm, I think it's going to be illegals.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Let me see if I got this right...

* - IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

* - IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU

GET................................

1 - A JOB,

2 - A DRIVERS LICENSE,

3 - SOCIAL SECURITY CARD,

4 - WELFARE,

5 - FOOD STAMPS,

6 - CREDIT CARDS,

7 - SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE,

8 - FREE EDUCATION,

9 - FREE HEALTH CARE,

10 - A LOBBYIST IN WASHINGTON ,

11 - BILLIONS OF DOLLARS WORTH OF PUBLIC DOCUMENTS PRINTED IN YOUR LANGUAGE,

12 - AND THE RIGHT TO CARRY YOUR COUNTRY'S FLAG WHILE YOU PROTEST THAT YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH RESPECT.

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I HAD A FIRM GRASP ON THE SITUATION...
Ironic, no? Yet the world and not a few Americans portray us as a den of bigotry and perdition.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:14 AM

8,619 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Quote:

That is so not correct...and for your information, Janet Napolitano begged the federal government for more assistance at the border and they turned a blind eye to her. Now she is claiming that the border is more secure now than it's ever been, so there's another lie for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration