Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

The Orange man backs the new Ariz Law, how could it possibly be a good idea?

John Boehner backs Arizona law, criticizes Democrats - Kasie Hunt - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
First of all Illegals get NO financial assistance,No health care and Yes they pay taxes and cannot get refunds like the rest of us.
Baloney......I know for a fact they get financial assistance. I'm involved in volunteer work here in AZ, I know of cases where women get assistance by giving birth to a child here....and they continue to do it every 5 years so they can stay with the new child....they get welfare, healthcare, food stamps, work training (which many intentionally fail so they won't have to start working). The father is usually there but, they stay unmarried and he works doing day labor for cash....no taxes. Also Mexico's largest source of revenue is now money being sent home from family members working in the U.S.....it has surpassed the revenue they make from oil (which was number one).....so, all that money isn't even staying here and getting spent to help the economy.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Baloney......I know for a fact they get financial assistance. I'm involved in volunteer work here in AZ, I know of cases where women get assistance by giving birth to a child here....and they continue to do it every 5 years so they can stay with the new child....they get welfare, healthcare, food stamps, work training (which many intentionally fail so they won't have to start working). The father is usually there but, they stay unmarried and he works doing day labor for cash....no taxes. Also Mexico's largest source of revenue is now money being sent home from family members working in the U.S.....it has surpassed the revenue they make from oil (which was number one).....so, all that money isn't even staying here and getting spent to help the economy.
What you are describing is the need to enforce the laws, existing laws, concentrate on removing the incentive that the illegals have to cross the border. I don't think having a 2000 mile long line of soldiers, is the answer. It is economics that drives them here. Their situation at home is dire, but providing them the alternative here, is not the answer. We need to stop people from hiring illegals, in other words, remove the incentive. We also have to be realistic with those that are here now and have been for quite a while. It is not practical to box them and send them home. Providing an effective means to integrate them is the only realistic answer to that. I don't think there will ever be a time, when there is no illegal immigration, but it can be significantly reduced.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What you are describing is the need to enforce the laws, existing laws, concentrate on removing the incentive that the illegals have to cross the border. I don't think having a 2000 mile long line of soldiers, is the answer. It is economics that drives them here. Their situation at home is dire, but providing them the alternative here, is not the answer. We need to stop people from hiring illegals, in other words, remove the incentive. We also have to be realistic with those that are here now and have been for quite a while. It is not practical to box them and send them home. Providing an effective means to integrate them is the only realistic answer to that. I don't think there will ever be a time, when there is no illegal immigration, but it can be significantly reduced.
So what you are saying is because there are so many illegals we need to capitulate to them and reward them for their criminal behavior? Yes that sounds much better than:
1. Enforcing our laws.
2. Write new laws that punish all parties involved.
3. Seize the assets of any illegals caught to help offset the costs involved.
Because by doing these things many would self deport rather than risk all of their ill begotten gains.
But yes your right rewarding criminal behavior is a much better deterrent than punishing said behavior.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So what you are saying is because there are so many illegals we need to capitulate to them and reward them for their criminal behavior? Yes that sounds much better than:
1. Enforcing our laws.
2. Write new laws that punish all parties involved.
3. Seize the assets of any illegals caught to help offset the costs involved.
Because by doing these things many would self deport rather than risk all of their ill begotten gains.
But yes your right rewarding criminal behavior is a much better deterrent than punishing said behavior.
1. Enforce our laws. Seems we agree.
2. Write new laws. I don't see the need, but if there is, again, I agree.
3. Seize the assets. I believe that happens now, again, I agree.

Self deport, yes we agree again. Removing the incentive to stay here, would result in that. There are a great many illegals that have been here for quite a while. They have been employed illegally, but employed and paying taxes, even if only by buying bread, clothes, etc. They have children that were born here who, according to the Constitution, are American citizens. Would you send their parents back, leaving the children here? I just think it would be a better option, to allow them a means to become legal. How that would be structured, obviously needs a lot of thought and a Congress willing to act.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGL1 View Post
Ok that was funny.
Yes, I thought it would be good to have a little humor - at least people can all laugh together a little.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
they look just like the guy in the video a few post above
Really those people who claim that an American born and raised hispanic looks and acts exactly like an illegal from some other country proves who is doing all the stereotyping. Those making the claim that someone who lived here all his life looks and acts like someone who just showed up are getting rather absurd.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The issue to them is legal or illegal, its the whole stop someone who looks illegal thing aka stop brown people.

I don't think it has to be that way if the law passes. They can make it to where the law is mostly focused on the job application/hiring process, or any other organization in which paperwork needs to be filled out. The police might not necessarily be out there hunting down all people that they "think" are illegals by looking at them.

I give them more credit than that. I would say if the police go to the scene of a crime and find out that the person or persons involved are illegally here than that should be a time when they have authority to detain the illegal person. This law is closer to happening now with all the violence going on near the border. If it wasn't for that I doubt that Arizona would be taking such a strong stance. I think they are thinking about the protection of their citizens since the federal government isn't.

If the Federal government would close down the border or take some of the troops out of Iraq "which Obama promised we wouldn't be there in his campaign after a year in office" and place those troops for security at the border then Arizona wouldn't be forced to stand up for itself like this at this time.

Bottom line: If you aren't here illegally then you have nothing to worry about when a cop stops you anyways. People don't give a damn when the authorities in Miami send Haitians back all the time and profile them. Why should Mexicans be more privileged or Cubans?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Really those people who claim that an American born and raised hispanic looks and acts exactly like an illegal from some other country proves who is doing all the stereotyping. Those making the claim that someone who lived here all his life looks and acts like someone who just showed up are getting rather absurd.
I think a lot of opposition is overblown so far.

I think "reasonable suspicion" might include clues such as --- no knowledge of English, and not having an American issued identification (non citizens are already required by law to have ID at all times... just like they do in Europe and points S.O.B.) .... American citizens are supposed to have some knowledge of English before becoming citizens, or heck, a social security number!

My father is a legal immigrant. I have a Spanish/Portuguese last name. When he lets his hair grow out and stays in the sun too long, he looks like a Mexican stereotype. If he were ever travelling through Arizona, his accent and looks may cause "probable cause" if he committed a crime and the police had "lawful contact" with him. Even if he didn't have his green card on him, any policeman with half a brain could ask a series of questions, find out he's been in the country since 1970, has three American children, an American ex-wife, has a social security number and a driver's license and he could answer specific questions related to his lawful entry into the US (most who go through the arduous process do not soon forget what it takes, as opposed to the "line jumpers").

If the police blatantly abused their powers, they would be sued in a NY minute.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:33 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Well I would love to know what agency gives assistance such as welfare,food stamps & health care to illegals in Phoenix.
It doesn't happen. period.

Mexican citizens also come to Phoenix and spend millions here.
If an illegal works here, they spend money here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration