Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM

442 posts, read 965,583 times

Advertisements

Utahn drafting a bill like Arizona’s
Rep. Stephen Sandstrom from Utah is drafting a bill like AZ’s bill SB1070. This will allow local law enforcement officers for immigration status documents ‘whenever there is reasonable suspicion that the person is unlawfully present’. He said a lot of illegal immigrants just move here. Critics maintain that racial profiling will occur and the 4th amendment right violated but Sandstrom says, “If you get pulled over for intoxication, what’s the first thing the officer asks for? Your ID right?” This law will be the same asking for documentation that relates to probable cause. Civil liberties Union of Utah director Karen McCreary says, “It’s unacceptable, it requires the carrying of papers, we just don’t do that in America.”
The end of the article Sandstrom says, ”I can tell you this the people in the state of Utah will be behind this bill.”
Thoughts?
www.deseretnews.com Front page Vol 160/NO 317 Tuesday April 27, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
Utahn drafting a bill like Arizona’s
Rep. Stephen Sandstrom from Utah is drafting a bill like AZ’s bill SB1070. This will allow local law enforcement officers for immigration status documents ‘whenever there is reasonable suspicion that the person is unlawfully present’. He said a lot of illegal immigrants just move here. Critics maintain that racial profiling will occur and the 4th amendment right violated but Sandstrom says, “If you get pulled over for intoxication, what’s the first thing the officer asks for? Your ID right?” This law will be the same asking for documentation that relates to probable cause. Civil liberties Union of Utah director Karen McCreary says, “It’s unacceptable, it requires the carrying of papers, we just don’t do that in America.”
The end of the article Sandstrom says, ”I can tell you this the people in the state of Utah will be behind this bill.”
Thoughts?
www.deseretnews.com Front page Vol 160/NO 317 Tuesday April 27, 2010
I am pretty sure the Gov will veto this bill. They let illegal immigrants drive legally in Utah for crying out loud.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,302 times
Any state that does not want to be flooded with illegals had better get busy on its own similar bill now. When the Arizona law takes effect, it will set off a wave of illegals to other states, then when Texas follows with its law, the wave will become massive tsunami of illegals.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Any state that does not want to be flooded with illegals had better get busy on its own similar bill now. When the Arizona law takes effect, it will set off a wave of illegals to other states, then when Texas follows with its law, the wave will become massive tsunami of illegals.
Extreme situations require extreme solutions. States are going bankrupt, it doesn't get much more dire than that.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:15 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times
Even with an economic upswing (if that ever happens) people are still against paying for illegal residents in this country. Their marches and rallies have opened the eyes of many Americans. I doubt this will ever be acceptable in this country by it's majority.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times
I was just watching CNN and they said that Arizona is number 7 in the highest number of illegals. Ahead of them was California, Texas, Georgia, Utah and a couple of others. This pecan grower said that if it weren't for illegal immigrants his business would fail! If this is true he must not be paying them very much and maybe it is time to review his business model!!! What if someone is injured? He probobly says oh too bad your illegal go to the ER and don't tell them it was a work related injury.

People like this make me sick, it is an obvious reason why states are going to have to address illegal immigration. Vultures like him probobly pay the workers $10 a day, taking advantage of their illegal status...............shame on him.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:25 AM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I am pretty sure the Gov will veto this bill. They let illegal immigrants drive legally in Utah for crying out loud.
I know this...this is why I posted this I was at DMV one day and someone was applying for a CDL and the clerk told him to bring back his BC I could not believe it.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:24 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsplntfrmNV View Post
I know this...this is why I posted this I was at DMV one day and someone was applying for a CDL and the clerk told him to bring back his BC I could not believe it.
Tourists here legally can drive where ever they want. To give someone here illegally a license of any flavor is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration