U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:04 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,049,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Flagstaff is a very nice place. Have fun out there!
Flag has too many SanFran wannabes for my tastes. :P

I say let them boycott. Its not like they have any money to spend anyway. Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 AM

23,873 posts, read 17,571,986 times
Quote:
Flagstaff is a very nice place. Have fun out there!
thanks! i haven't been there in a looong time

Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,676,849 times
Quote:
And you want to talk about spin as you spun this 180 degrees. How is banning someone from using their paid vacation where they want to even constitutional? How does that crack down on the amount spent on paid vacations? Since they are not allowed to go to Arizona they will not take a vacation at all? Talk about a moronic argument, this one takes the cake.
They can not go to Arizona on OFFICIAL BUSINESS(of the state). As has been explained many times.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:40 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,327,986 times
Quote:
And you want to talk about spin as you spun this 180 degrees. How is banning someone from using their paid vacation where they want to even constitutional? How does that crack down on the amount spent on paid vacations? Since they are not allowed to go to Arizona they will not take a vacation at all? Talk about a moronic argument, this one takes the cake.
Gavin Newsom is famous for pulling publicity stunts.

But to answer your question, right from Article 1 of the 14th Amendment: "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The way I read it, the mayor of SF has violated constitutional law. It's not the first time he's thumbed his nose at both CA and US law for a photo op.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,676,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

But to answer your question, right from Article 1 of the 14th Amendment: "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The way I read it, the mayor of SF has violated constitutional law. It's not the first time he's thumbed his nose at both CA and US law for a photo op.
No he hasn't violated consitutional law, in any shape or form. Going to any place you want on the state's dime, is not a "priviledge or immunity of a US citizen".

Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,327,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
No he hasn't violated consitutional law, in any shape or form. Going to any place you want on the state's dime, is not a "priviledge or immunity of a US citizen".
We'll see.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:00 PM

470 posts, read 388,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

I agree with you about using the public dime and business trips, but I was responding to a post that claimed they weren't allowed to use their paid vacation in Arizona.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM

470 posts, read 388,682 times
Quote:
I agree with you about using the public dime and business trips, but I was responding to a post that claimed they weren't allowed to use their paid vacation in Arizona.
sorry I replied to the wrong post.....

Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,585,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Not just San Francisco, LA is thinking about a boycott as well. Hopefully, this will continue to spread.

Arizona can do what they want, until this law is found unconstitutional that is, but in the meantime...make them pay for it..

Read more: California politicians fume over Arizona law

And so is DC

Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,585,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
The focus should be almost 100% on the employers. Never mind though, I'm talking to myself...it's much easier to hate poor brown people and let the fat cats slide..
Very true! If there are no jobs, there will be no incentive to come here. But try telling the wealthy they have to hire legal immigrants to raise their children, landscape their yards, cook their food, pick their produce, clean their homes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration