U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM

6,183 posts, read 4,779,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
you have no clue what you are even saying. Please tell me what the probable cause is when the ENTIRE lane of traffic is diverted to a stop where they check to see if you've been drinking and ask for your ID. Where was the probable cause for the stop to begin with? You have so lost this argument. Same thing applies to checking for illegals. Divert the entire lane of traffic and check everyone for possible DUI's AND citizenship. Citizenship is checked by showing them your DL, if you don't have a DL you have to tell them who you are, like what happens everyday in every state when dealing with law enforcement, if you refuse you will be detained, if you lie you will be arrested for giving false information.
I'm just stating what the SCOTUS did in 1990. Like what you seem to be getting off about, in DUI checkpoints, show em your ID, appear sober and you're gone. What's going to be the probable cause of thinking someone is an illegal immigrant? And illegal immigrants have driver's licenses. Remember the law CA passed in 2002, or 2003 (can't remember the year)?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,680,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
And what exactly would "suspiscious" of someone being an illegal immigrant?
If they had no ID, could not provide information that would help me verify their identity, gave vague and evasive responses when asked about their identity or place of residence, place of emplyment etc. (given that I can check the computer in my car or radio the police station to look it up.)

Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
The same things that would make a cop suspicious of anything else. Stop trying to make this something it is not.
Like what? What are characteristics of illegal immigrants?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If they had no ID, could not provide information that would help me verify their identity, gave vague and evasive responses when asked about their identity or place of residence, place of emplyment etc. (given that I can check the computer in my car or radio the police station to look it up.)
Yea. And those aren't powers that weren't previously had by law enforcement.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yea. And those aren't powers that weren't previously had by law enforcement.
I'm honestly not sure of the point you're making here.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM

470 posts, read 388,728 times
Quote:
I'm just stating what the SCOTUS did in 1990. Like what you seem to be getting off about, in DUI checkpoints, show em your ID, appear sober and you're gone. What's going to be the probable cause of thinking someone is an illegal immigrant? And illegal immigrants have driver's licenses. Remember the law CA passed in 2002, or 2003 (can't remember the year)?
We aren't talking about California here Twista. There will be no probable cause needed if they do it the same way they conduct DUI checkpoints. If the SCOTUS ruled that practice is ok, then it is ok. You simply make EVERYONE stop, just like in a DUI checkpoint, and ask for ID from the occupants of the vehicle. END OF STORY!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
We aren't talking about California here Twista. There will be no probable cause needed if they do it the same way they conduct DUI checkpoints. If the SCOTUS ruled that practice is ok, then it is ok. You simply make EVERYONE stop, just like in a DUI checkpoint, and ask for ID from the occupants of the vehicle. END OF STORY!
There is no law that says you have to have an instate license. I got ticketed multiple times out of state and not one officer gave me trouble for having an out of state license. Illegal immigrants can get ID's rather simple. I'm not even street smart or in touch with the black market and I had a legit ID that said I was 21 when I was 17.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM

470 posts, read 388,728 times
Quote:
There is no law that says you have to have an instate license. I got ticketed multiple times out of state and not one officer gave me trouble for having an out of state license. Illegal immigrants can get ID's rather simple. I'm not even street smart or in touch with the black market and I had a legit ID that said I was 21 when I was 17.
That is another problem all together. Like you have been told in this thread, some will get away with it and some won't.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,619,244 times
Quote:
Yep. In DUI checkpoints (I'm a pizza delivery guy I've been through dozens), they pretty much like for the obvious signs of intoxication. Show em your license and you're free to go. No unreasonable search and seizure unless there's very probably cause.

How will illegals be weeded out? It's not like they're obvious as drunks.

This is going to lead to mass profiling, and millions of dollars will be wasted in courts.
What do you mean ??? I just went to the bank to cash a check and also make a deposit to my own account the bank personal have known me for 12 yrs but they still demanded that I product photo ID along with My B of A bank card as proof of who I was !!!! . So when asked , produce your documents and think of it as security against terrorist,Etc.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
So is the standard now that if someone can get around the law, then it's unconstitutional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or