Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM

383 posts, read 222,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
In DUI checkpoints you aren't detained unless there is clear and probably cause. I deliver pizza late at night and go through them all the time. As long as I don't appear drunk or high and have my license it takes no more than 5 minutes.
Um that is the same thing with this bill. If you are stopped and found to be a citizen then you are ok to go about your way if you are found to be illegally here then you get detained.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:18 AM

470 posts, read 461,795 times
Quote:
In DUI checkpoints you aren't detained unless there is clear and probably cause. I deliver pizza late at night and go through them all the time. As long as I don't appear drunk or high and have my license it takes no more than 5 minutes.
are you really that brainwashed about this Arizona law? Nobody is going to be detained unless they have no ID on them to prove who they are. The same thing would apply in the DUI check, if you can't prove who you are, you will be detained. The 5 minutes you spoke about is all it will take for people in Arizona to show their ID's. It is exactly the same thing. I think you are purposely being deceitful about this because it is what partisan hacks do.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM

90 posts, read 123,705 times
So....not all Republicans think the same way on all issues. That is ok isn't it?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Lidsey's pissed because Arizona just strong-armed the Federal Government into action. Arizona Patriots just forced the Federal Government to acknowledge its complete and abyssmal failure in handling illegal immigration.

Thank you AZ for calling out our inept politicians. I appreciate it.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
Um that is the same thing with this bill. If you are stopped and found to be a citizen then you are ok to go about your way if you are found to be illegally here then you get detained.
So what's the probably cause to pull someone over if they aren't visibly breaking any laws? What about a person who is here legally but doesn't carry working papers? I'm a legal resident. Do I need to carry working papers every time I step off my property?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
It seems to be lost on many that the law requires that police be engaged in "lawful contact" before asking about immigration status. That means that they have stopped you for violating a law not for having a particular skin tone. At that point, they need reasonable suspicion, and the law specifically states that race or ethnicity can't be the sole reason for suspicion.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
are you really that brainwashed about this Arizona law? Nobody is going to be detained unless they have no ID on them to prove who they are. The same thing would apply in the DUI check, if you can't prove who you are, you will be detained. The 5 minutes you spoke about is all it will take for people in Arizona to show their ID's. It is exactly the same thing. I think you are purposely being deceitful about this because it is what partisan hacks do.
In a DUI check, you get detained without ID because carrying your license when you're driving is the law. People who are "suspected" of being an illegal immigrant have to show working papers, not just an ID. You don't see how this will lead to profiling and billions and billions worth of lawsuits?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
So what's the probably cause to pull someone over if they aren't visibly breaking any laws? What about a person who is here legally but doesn't carry working papers? I'm a legal resident. Do I need to carry working papers every time I step off my property?
The law says that they have to have pulled you over for breaking another law (lawful contact) in order to ask.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM

383 posts, read 222,561 times
You do its called a drivers license. I seriously doubt people are going to get pulled over if they aren't doing something wrong or the police don't have a suspicion they are doing something wrong even though this bill gives them that right. It would waste to much time and the cops would spend to much time doing paperwork to actually catch folks doing crimes. That is why they should and probably will just detain people who they have a reasonable suspicion are doing something illegal.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 AM

470 posts, read 461,795 times
Quote:
So why is it ok for you to be stopped in a DUI check when there is NO probable cause? I repeat...NO PROBABLE CAUSE! Do you understand that? Why is that ok? Also, stop being as obtuse as you are, if you are a legal citizen all you need is photo ID like a DL. You have to prove citizenship to get one in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration