U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:49 PM

353 posts, read 482,765 times

Advertisements

Most people I talk to are split. It's literally 50/50. Of the supporters I've talked to every single one of them mistakenly believes this law does not permit racial profiling. I think it does because it is vague and poorly written. I am dead set against the law the way it is written. The other tragedy of it is the way Arizona is being portrayed nationally. This is an open tolerant state and not a bunch of redneck knuckledragging racists. The polls lead people to believe that 70 percent of AZ residents are racist. I wish they had a poll that asked AZ voters if they would approve of the law if it were agreed that it would permit racial profiling. I guarantee you 90-95 percent would be against it if that were the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,054,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Most people I talk to are split. It's literally 50/50. Of the supporters I've talked to every single one of them mistakenly believes this law does not permit racial profiling. I think it does because it is vague and poorly written. I am dead set against the law the way it is written. The other tragedy of it is the way Arizona is being portrayed nationally. This is an open tolerant state and not a bunch of redneck knuckledragging racists. The polls lead people to believe that 70 percent of AZ residents are racist. I wish they had a poll that asked AZ voters if they would approve of the law if it were agreed that it would permit racial profiling. I guarantee you 90-95 percent would be against it if that were the case.
You actually guarantee that 90-95 percent of people in AZ would be against it? I hope you didn't bet on that guarantee. I agree that Arizonans are being portrayed poorly by the uninformed media; however, just because the majority of residents wish to rid our state of the drug trafficking, human smuggling, kidnapping capital, etc certainly doesn't mean we're racist. It means we want to rid our communities of the crime that comes up from the border that the federal government pretends doesn't exist. The tragedy is that the media and countless people who only wish to join a "cause" are ignorant to this or have a separate agenda for their outcries...usually it would be self-serving.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You actually guarantee that 90-95 percent of people in AZ would be against it? I hope you didn't bet on that guarantee. I agree that Arizonans are being portrayed poorly by the uninformed media; however, just because the majority of residents wish to rid our state of the drug trafficking, human smuggling, kidnapping capital, etc certainly doesn't mean we're racist. It means we want to rid our communities of the crime that comes up from the border that the federal government pretends doesn't exist. The tragedy is that the media and countless people who only wish to join a "cause" are ignorant to this or have a separate agenda for their outcries...usually it would be self-serving.
I believe if everyone agreed that someone could be pulled over or questioned because of their appearance, skin color, etc. people here and most places would be dead set against it. Like I said the people I have talked to that support the law think it precludes racial profiling.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I believe if everyone agreed that someone could be pulled over or questioned because of their appearance, skin color, etc. people here and most places would be dead set against it. Like I said the people I have talked to that support the law think it precludes racial profiling.
Well, apparently you haven't even read the bill. Where does it state that anyone (or everyone as you put it) could just be pulled over or questioned because of their appearance, skin color? It sounds like the people you are talking to also have not read the bill.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Well, apparently you haven't even read the bill. Where does it state that anyone (or everyone as you put it) could just be pulled over or questioned because of their appearance, skin color? It sounds like the people you are talking to also have not read the bill.
It doesn't define what "lawful contact" is. The bill should have explicitly stated that the above would not be permitted.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
It doesn't define what "lawful contact" is. The bill should have explicitly stated that the above would not be permitted.
Are you serious? What do you think lawful contact is? When does a police officer usually stop someone or pull them over? DUI, speeding, swerving, breaking and entering, breaking the law...and yes, that is the way it is handled in Arizona as well.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Are you serious? What do you think lawful contact is? When does a police officer usually stop someone or pull them over? DUI, speeding, swerving, breaking and entering, breaking the law...and yes, that is the way it is handled in Arizona as well.
If it's so open and shut why are law enforcement and legal experts even confused about the language in the bill?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
If it's so open and shut why are law enforcement and legal experts even confused about the language in the bill?
If it's such a racist law, then why are law enforcement and legal experts even confused about the language in the bill?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
If it's such a racist law, then why are law enforcement and legal experts even confused about the language in the bill?
That's where the people are split. Arpaio believes as you that the law doesn't permit profiling and the Pima County sherriff does. It's not as if law enforcement is all on the same page with this.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
That's where the people are split. Arpaio believes as you that the law doesn't permit profiling and the Pima County sherriff does. It's not as if law enforcement is all on the same page with this.
That's the difference between the actually wording of the law and what people read into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or