Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What you posted doesn't make sense to me. By eliminating tarrifs on products imported to the US from Mexico, we made Mex made products even cheaper and more favorible in the US (economically). This would in turn increase production in Mexico. How did NAFTA drive people from Mexico?
It didn't because Mexico couldn't compete with the US and Canada. Previously we received more exports from them and it was a means of employment for them. NAFTA equated value of their exports (corn, agriculture, etc) with that of domestic goods. It raped their workforce. Ergo, why they're coming to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Apparently the majority of Arizona citizens favor the law and Governor Jan Brewer has gotten a big jump in approval ratings because of it. I don't think this surprised anyone.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
It didn't because Mexico couldn't compete with the US and Canada. Previously we received more exports from them and it was a means of employment for them. NAFTA equated value of their exports (corn, agriculture, etc) with that of domestic goods. It raped their workforce. Ergo, why they're coming to America.
Not trying to be difficult, I do want to understand your point.

Quote:
Previously we received more exports from them and it was a means of employment for them. NAFTA equated value of their exports (corn, agriculture, etc) with that of domestic goods.
We eliminated tarrifs on Mexican products coming into the US, thereby making them less expensive. How did this hurt Mex? Or are you saying it was the other way around, that US products are being sold in Mexico for less than it costs them to produce them? If so, this has the effect of lowering everyone's cost, allowing them to buy more with less.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 PM

111 posts, read 156,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I find it pretty sad and insane that the Pres/A.G/Homeland security sec....are taking the side of "illegals" over Americans citizens.
Bush was softer on illegals than Obama but I'm sure you don't care about that. You'll just throw the "Blame Bush Blanket" over the facts. FACT Obama is tougher on illegal immigration than Bush with his path to citizenship.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:05 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm an Arizona resident and a Sheriff Joe supporter. I'm also a Republican and a strong supporter of immigration reform. Most of the people in Arizona do not support this law including me. 40% of the Arizona population consists of Hispanic Americans like myself. Hispanic Americans, contrary to popular belief, endorse strong immigration reform and don't favor illegal immigration. However, this law targets U.S. citizens like myself. Yes, yes, "Just show them your driver's license"....sorry...I shouldn't have to. I'm born and raised in this country. I shouldn't have to carry a copy of my passport or show my driver's license out of being racially profiled and harrassed. I can understand showing proof of citizenship if there is probable cause ie I broke the law. However, this law doesn't mandate probable cause and gives law enforcement the right to question anyone's citizenship status based on "reasonable suspicion" which is not specific and can essentially mean anything.

This law would not have taken place if Governor Jan Brewer did not sign this into law. Jan Brewer was not elected to the governorship. She inherited it when Janet Napolitano left to become the Homeland Security Secretary. Arizona residents voted for Napolitano not Brewer.

Rasmussen is a conservative polling group. I wonder what percentage of those they polled were Hispanic Americans because 40% of the Arizona population is Hispanic American.
Rasmussen is also known to be highly accurate.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:07 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Not trying to be difficult, I do want to understand your point.

We eliminated tarrifs on Mexican products coming into the US, thereby making them less expensive. How did this hurt Mex? Or are you saying it was the other way around, that US products are being sold in Mexico for less than it costs them to produce them? If so, this has the effect of lowering everyone's cost, allowing them to buy more with less.
Because it lowered the cost of the same American products. Naturally people are going to buy a superior product for the same price as an inferior product at the same price. Clinton failed to recognize the obscene amounts of subsidies American farmers get. It ended up hurting the consumer in the long run because things naturally inflated with the countless number of jobless Mexicans coming to America and using public subsidies essentially tax free.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Rasmussen Hahahaha!, lucky it wasn't 135% support
Rasmussen is one of the most respected polsters, for his accuracy. You just don't like the resluts be cause he is a conservative ... so, automatically, he's wrong. Right?

Old 04-28-2010, 01:20 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
I'll trust any polling agency's results over the assertion of a C-D member.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Apparently they stop counting at 3 when teaching the Constitution in AZ schools.
If they are teaching the Constitution at all in AZ, they are ahead of the rest of the states, because the Contitution is no longer being taught in any school. If it were, we wouldn't have so many people on C-D who have no clue what it says about anything.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I find the poll to be truthful, I'm an Arizona resident and I support the new law. The illegal immigration problem is bad down here and most of my friends support the law as well. The local newspaper just ran an article that Brewer's approval ratings have surged since signing the bill into law, most people do support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration