U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Geez, talk about committing economic suicide:

Boycotts of Arizona immigration law add up
"Many officials in Arizona's tourism and hospitality industry fear that the state's new immigration law is anything but hospitable.
Hotel owners, tour operators and convention executives say the law could discourage visitors and companies from meeting there at a time when one of the state's vital industries already is suffering."

If other states (like TX) follow up with similar laws, pretty soon we'll have to start handing out Darwin Awards to the states (and yes, Cali has earned its own fair share)!

"The Darwin Awards honor people who ensure the long-term survival of the human race by removing themselves from the gene pool in a sublimely idiotic fashion."
I doubt if many Texas politicians are dumb enough to sign on to this law, which was written by Kansas Lawyers who want to get rich suing municipalities for millions. The Arizona Republican Party sold out to Special interests AGAIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:59 PM

11,019 posts, read 18,106,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
rid (OF)and flakes from frisco! I reckon that alone is incentive for other states to pass this law!

lol silas and I don't agree on this particular new law but that is funny, I don't care who you are.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

7,475 posts, read 19,565,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I doubt if many Texas politicians are dumb enough to sign on to this law, which was written by Kansas Lawyers who want to get rich suing municipalities for millions. The Arizona Republican Party sold out to Special interests AGAIN
Many of the states will be getting on board with this law. They realize we have a vacuum in the WH, and if they don't do the government's job, no one will....!
The Arizona Republican party are the only ones who care, and are doing what it takes to stop the killing and violence the illegal's are bring across the boarder...

Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM

8,581 posts, read 8,924,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
lol silas and I don't agree on this particular new law but that is funny, I don't care who you are.
Lk, I know you lean libertarian, and I also have serious reservations about this law for the same reason..........but at what point, how many murders, how much crime, does a state have to endure before they say enough is enough. Having said that, there is a lot of unfounded hysteria surrounding this law, at the end of the day it just enforces the federal law on the books, it is actually similar to the law here in WA state against driving and talking on the phone. Why is it unreasonable to ask someone for their green card?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,011,769 times
Quote:
Lk, I know you lean libertarian, and I also have serious reservations about this law for the same reason..........but at what point, how many murders, how much crime, does a state have to endure before they say enough is enough. Having said that, there is a lot of unfounded hysteria surrounding this law, at the end of the day it just enforces the federal law on the books, it is actually similar to the law here in WA state against driving and talking on the phone. Why is it unreasonable to ask someone for their green card?

The law actually stipulates that you must carry your green card with you at all time
expecting to produce it when asked by the authority. So what's the beef?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:59 PM

11,019 posts, read 18,106,999 times
Quote:
. Why is it unreasonable to ask someone for their green card?

It's not, but how it is done might be. This new law supposedly goes after companies who hire also, hopefully this is true. While I support government staying out of business in many regards, in this case I cannot agree with some that say "it isn't my problem for other people's wages, my family come first, it is my right as a business owner to pay and hire who I want". And the biggest slogan said by some "government has no right to "force" me.

I may lean libertarian but I disagree with the Libertarian stance of free trade (actually free use of cheap labor) with open borders and that companies have a right to go another country and hire cheap labor while profiting in a American market for themselves as Americans themself.

Some companies decided to increase profit by under cutting a fellow American's wages instead of increasing profit by gaining in a market with service, reputation and quality.

I'd love out of goodwill see Mexican, Indian and Malaysian people have a better quality of life but not at the expense of firing a American so they can pay half in wages which is still a good deal for those foriegners.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Geez, talk about committing economic suicide:

Boycotts of Arizona immigration law add up
"Many officials in Arizona's tourism and hospitality industry fear that the state's new immigration law is anything but hospitable.
Hotel owners, tour operators and convention executives say the law could discourage visitors and companies from meeting there at a time when one of the state's vital industries already is suffering."

If other states (like TX) follow up with similar laws, pretty soon we'll have to start handing out Darwin Awards to the states (and yes, Cali has earned its own fair share)!

"The Darwin Awards honor people who ensure the long-term survival of the human race by removing themselves from the gene pool in a sublimely idiotic fashion."
Yeah...according to the Arizona Republic (the main newspaper), conventions have been cancelled. Apparently, the conventions meant between 20-150 hotel rooms, but you'd have to look hard to see that the affect is not much more than a family reunion. Plus, rumor has it that Al Sharpton is looking for another controversy to be a part of so he and his group of loonies will be descending on Arizona (and no doubt paying for hotel rooms)...as well as the numerous media outlets that will be there to cover those 100 or so people.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...aw-impact.html

The Arizona Hotel & Lodging Association said the estimated economic value of the cancellations ranges from $5,000 for the smaller groups to $45,000 for the larger.

Say it with me now..."OOOHHH...a whopping $45,000 lost!" BTW, a lawyers group just cancelled their convention but doing so cost them $95,000 to their venue for cancellation costs, so that $45K that the Hotel & Lodging Association says they're going to lose is merely a drop in the bucket.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/electi...s-arizona.html

The American Immigration Lawyers Association has vowed to boycott the state of Arizona, canceling their fall national convention at the Scottsdale Marriott...The venue's penalty for canceling the event is approximately $92,000...

So...the new law is driving out illegal immigrants AND lawyers...this is getting better and better!

The good news for Arizona is that it's got a great big "hole" called The Grand Canyon that is a natural wonder of the world and a HUGE tourist attraction as well as temperatures that range between 70-85 degrees at a time when the rest of the country is under a blanket of snow. This so-called boycott isn't going to make a dent because for every 20 rooms supposedly being cancelled by a disgruntled organization, there will be hundreds more booked by people who are in support of this bill.

I'll be visiting family in June and plan on spending lots of money...heck I may even decide to stay in a hotel room instead of my in-laws house and make an actual vacation out of it!

Last edited by the3Ds; 04-28-2010 at 04:32 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
All these big mouths railing against Arizona should turn their anger towards the corrupt administration in the WH. Spineless Obama should shut his evil mouth and do his job. He is angry because it's bringing unwanted attention to his incompetence.
This really isn't a political issue. In Arizona, this problem has been happening for decades and the Arizonans who understand what's at stake here place just as much blame on George W. Bush and his predecessors as they do on Obama.

The problem is that no one wants to go after the true cause of illegal immigration...the businesses that hire them and are making huge profits by paying them slave wages while expecting them to work hard or be fired or turned over to ICE.

Neither political party has done Arizona any favors and the only reason it's come to this and a Republican governor has signed this bill is because the Dems don't want to lose what they see as future electoral votes. The Republicans have never done anything about this either and it's pathetic for McCain to suddenly be in favor of calling the National Guard to the border now that he's in a hotly contested race.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,110,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Boycotting any state in the middle of a financial crisis is not beneficial to the citizens of those states. Where do they get off proposing that garbage? The citizens in the states proposing a boycott should email and fax bomb every official in charge.
The San Francisco City proposing boycott caught my attention.

I've been hiking in the northern redwoods several times per year, driving from Portland. It was in my plans to add San Francisco to my travel in the next year and a half.

If this is indicative of that city, I'm not certain I'd want to travel there anymore.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
The San Francisco City proposing boycott caught my attention.

I've been hiking in the northern redwoods several times per year, driving from Portland. It was in my plans to add San Francisco to my travel in the next year and a half.

If this is indicative of that city, I'm not certain I'd want to travel there anymore.
With all due respect, avoiding San Francisco in protest over THEIR avoiding of Arizona seems rather fruitless.

San Francisco is a haven for nuttiness. It's why the city is fun for me to visit but I don't want to live there. In a few months, they'll be protesting over something new that they see as "unjust" and then a whole new wave of boycotts will start.

Travel to the places you want to visit and leave the haggling to the politicians. It's not the Redwoods' fault that they've got a nutty government.

Don't worry about Arizona. It's a great place to visit with excellent weather and a little "hole" called The Grand Canyon. For every group boycotting, there are others whose convention members are being very explicit in their wanting to go to Phoenix. Boycotts have a very short shelf-life when they're done to places that have 75 degree weather when the rest of the country is blanketed in snow.

There's always a boycott over something. I remember a few years ago a group wanting to boycott Portland (where you're from) because they allowed people to defecate on the US flag.

It wouldn't be America if we weren't outraged by something. We live to be offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or