U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,855,767 times

Advertisements

I guess Rev. Sharpton is really out of touch -- a lot of the African American teachers in Texas and other border states are upset with requirements that they learn Spanish and are being passed over for administrative positions. Some contend that was the reason they were the first to go in budget cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,208,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Obvious View Post
Bff

Damn Str8

Old 04-29-2010, 11:30 AM

4,309 posts, read 7,922,107 times
Whether Arizona is your favorite state will depend on whether the bill survives legal and constitutional challenges.

If it doesn't, Arizona spent a whole lot of money to pass a bill favored by people who wanted it passed without considering whether it is constitutional.

The legislative chamber is not a place for irrationally angry people. It is a place for collected, in-control angry people who can control themselves and take the time to craft a strong, good bill. It is a place for people who understand that the state's financial power is always the most important aspect in regards to the bill.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 AM

138 posts, read 142,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Whether Arizona is your favorite state will depend on whether the bill survives legal and constitutional challenges.

If it doesn't, Arizona spent a whole lot of money to pass a bill favored by people who wanted it passed without considering whether it is constitutional.

The legislative chamber is not a place for irrationally angry people. It is a place for collected, in-control angry people who can control themselves and take the time to craft a strong, good bill. It is a place for people who understand that the state's financial power is always the most important aspect in regards to the bill.
You make some nice points. The fact is, it's refreshing to see Arizona step up to the plate and act as the vanguard in this crazy situation the feds have created due to their negligence.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:05 PM

4,309 posts, read 7,922,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Obvious View Post
You make some nice points. The fact is, it's refreshing to see Arizona step up to the plate and act as the vanguard in this crazy situation the feds have created due to their negligence.
Arizona may be trying to get the feds to do something, but it may be an expensive way to do it, and it may end in a pyrrhic victory, or it may end in an expensive defeat. The lawsuits and costs of enforcement may severely cripple the state and make everything worse for Arizonans. There's a thread about the financial aspect here: Will trying to enforce the new law bankrupt Arizona - A poster on the Houston Architecture forum gave a theory about how Arizona could be bankrupted by this.

There are likely other ways to light fires under the feet of the feds.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:11 PM

346 posts, read 617,396 times
Even if this law is struck down, Arizona made its message clear that it wants border security and strong enforcement. It showed illegals that they are not welcome, and managed to trim some of their illegal population.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:29 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,635,506 times
[quote=GreXican;13992157]Even if this law is struck down, Arizona made its message clear that it wants border security and strong enforcement. It showed illegals that they are not welcome, and managed to trim some of their illegal population.[/quotery Agree 100 % , but now whats the beef all about ? I am 100% American , MY parents were 100 % American , My Grand parents on both sides of the family tree were 100 % American, Ok Now tell me why I should have to show "PROOF" that I am an American when I go to Mexico for a visit ( in the past , not anymore though ) or for that fact when I travel to Canada as I do each year, do i have to show my Birth cert., when I want to come back to America? and why then shouldn't I get all bent out of shape then like all the illegals. Answer because thats the law . well then if i have to do it that then every one should be required to follow suite.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:04 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,044,763 times
This morning at "Jack in the Box," my husband and I waited twelve minutes for our order. The order was simple and the store wasn't busy. The cashier heard our order English and had to translate it to the cooks in Spanish. When I was growing up, teens worked the weekend shifts at fastfood joints, not today.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM

111 posts, read 112,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
This morning at "Jack in the Box," my husband and I waited twelve minutes for our order. The order was simple and the store wasn't busy. The cashier heard our order English and had to translate it to the cooks in Spanish. When I was growing up, teens worked the weekend shifts at fastfood joints, not today.
You should go to a In-N-Out, it is mostly teenagers who work there.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,170,257 times
There are two reasons up until now that I would likely never relocate to Arizona: The first is Arizona's addiction to the same auto-dependent suburban-sprawl model that is destroying the natural beauty and historical heritage of many places. The second is the generally pretty dismal crime statistics for many Arizona locales--especially its metro areas. A major component of those crime statistics is the crime committed by illegal aliens. So, Arizona's passage of its "immigration bill"--if it succeeds in stemming the tide of illegal immigration to the state--is a positive move in my opinion toward solving one of two reasons that I am not inclined to visit or live in Arizona. I suspect that I'm not alone in that opinion. For every out-of-state whiner or group of whiners that says they will boycott Arizona because of this law, there are probably a hundred people who would be more likely to visit or relocate there if the law has some success in reducing Arizona's very less-than-stellar reputation nationally when it comes to crime. Oh, and I happen to know a number of former Arizonans who relocated OUT of the state because of the crime and illegal immigrant issues--including some who are multi-generational Arizona natives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or