U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2010, 01:03 PM
 
887 posts, read 1,746,518 times
Reputation: 1282

Advertisements

NYT article today: Study Finds Hispanic Youngsters Face Obstacles to Integration - NYTimes.com

"More than one in five American children are Latino. While 92 percent of them are citizens, 58 percent live with one or more foreign-born parents."

"The Census Bureau said Tuesday that the number of people who speak Spanish at home rose to 23.4 million from 1980 to 2007, a 211 percent increase.

"The share of Latino children living in single-parent families soared six percentage points to 38 percent since 2000, a larger increase than among blacks or whites."

"In Florida, with a large and more rooted Cuban population, 34 percent of eighth-grade Latino students tested below the basic level for math. In Alabama, a newer immigrant magnet, 51 percent did."

"Ms. Foxen said poverty’s legacy, discrimination, alienation and a general feeling of 'not quite belonging' were to blame."

"Janet Murguía, president of the National Council of La Raza, said Hispanic young people should be a national public policy priority."


====

What this article tells me is that illegal immigration won't be a "problem" in one more generation. All the children of illegals will be US citizens, although all the negative socioeconomic traits will remain (if not worsening). If we don't do something about illegal immigration NOW, it will be far far too late. We will have a massive underclass with declining national and state-level test scores every year. Test scores aren't going down because the teachers are bad, but because we have a massive influx of a mostly illiterate population with little interest in education.

Last edited by Guineas; 04-28-2010 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2010, 01:33 PM
 
181 posts, read 274,470 times
Reputation: 170
Here is the problem:

Latino child is born on US soil from an illegal mother and father. The child eventually gets to school age not knowing english, so he/she is behind already. Child is placed in ESL classes and eventually learns english. However, as the child gets older, the homework gets harder. The parents cannot help, as they either don't know ANY english because they didn't bother to learn or they know so little that they cannot help.

The lack of support in the home, in combination to the fact that the legal children born to illegals learn english late, contribute to low test scores. Sorry, but we cannot "force" parents to learn english. This is a parenting issue, not a cultural alienation issue. There are FREE programs in CA for illegals to go to that teach english. Many are offered both in the AM and after work hours so there are no obstacles. Sometimes, people just don't WANT to assimilate. Not much we can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Reputation: 3785
Note to guineas: the war against illegal immigration is starting to go very badly against said illegals and their enablers.

I think when it is said and done: the 'tipping point' was those illegal 'immigrants' rights' marches back in 2006---------that is when the American people woke up and took notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines
1,868 posts, read 2,419,874 times
Reputation: 3376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I think when it is said and done: the 'tipping point' was those illegal 'immigrants' rights' marches back in 2006---------that is when the American people woke up and took notice.
Yeah those were pretty stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,298,639 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
Here is the problem:

Latino child is born on US soil from an illegal mother and father. The child eventually gets to school age not knowing english, so he/she is behind already. Child is placed in ESL classes and eventually learns english. However, as the child gets older, the homework gets harder. The parents cannot help, as they either don't know ANY english because they didn't bother to learn or they know so little that they cannot help.

The lack of support in the home, in combination to the fact that the legal children born to illegals learn english late, contribute to low test scores. Sorry, but we cannot "force" parents to learn english. This is a parenting issue, not a cultural alienation issue. There are FREE programs in CA for illegals to go to that teach english. Many are offered both in the AM and after work hours so there are no obstacles. Sometimes, people just don't WANT to assimilate. Not much we can do.
Parents are NOT the best or first choice for help with one's school work.

My parents would not have been any help, as they were dumber than my instructors--who I had to correct a number of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,895,723 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Parents are NOT the best or first choice for help with one's school work.

My parents would not have been any help, as they were dumber than my instructors--who I had to correct a number of times.
TKramar I love your posts. I honestly do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Reputation: 2130
My concern with the growth of the Hispanic population in our country mostly due to illegal immigration is that their anchors will harbor a resentment towards non-hispanic Americans (in particular white Americans) passed on to them by their illegal parents. You can see the arrogance and resentment in their faces everytime they rally, etc. This will really create a divided and resentful America between Hispanic Americans and non-Hispanic ones. We will be divided culturally, politically and lingistically. Doesn't make for a cohesive society, does it? It is just one of the reasons that I oppose them being able to stay here. That tribal mentality bothers me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Reputation: 17698
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgoldilocks View Post
Here is the problem:

Latino child is born on US soil from an illegal mother and father. The child eventually gets to school age not knowing english, so he/she is behind already. Child is placed in ESL classes and eventually learns english. However, as the child gets older, the homework gets harder. The parents cannot help, as they either don't know ANY english because they didn't bother to learn or they know so little that they cannot help.

The lack of support in the home, in combination to the fact that the legal children born to illegals learn english late, contribute to low test scores. Sorry, but we cannot "force" parents to learn english. This is a parenting issue, not a cultural alienation issue. There are FREE programs in CA for illegals to go to that teach english. Many are offered both in the AM and after work hours so there are no obstacles. Sometimes, people just don't WANT to assimilate. Not much we can do.
There was a recent article about a HS in Escondido about how these few kids wanted to further their education. As the story continued it stated that EVERY kid in this school was in the free meals program paid for by we tax payers.

Anyone that knows Escondido knows it has a HUGE problem with Illegals. I can imagine the problems the kids had whose Parents spoke English have vs the ones whose Parents are here illegally refusing to assimilate. The instructors must spend all day trying to play catch up.

If it's bad in other schools I can't imagine how bad it is in that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 PM
 
234 posts, read 202,713 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
NYT article today: Study Finds Hispanic Youngsters Face Obstacles to Integration - NYTimes.com

"More than one in five American children are Latino. While 92 percent of them are citizens, 58 percent live with one or more foreign-born parents."

"The Census Bureau said Tuesday that the number of people who speak Spanish at home rose to 23.4 million from 1980 to 2007, a 211 percent increase.

"The share of Latino children living in single-parent families soared six percentage points to 38 percent since 2000, a larger increase than among blacks or whites."

"In Florida, with a large and more rooted Cuban population, 34 percent of eighth-grade Latino students tested below the basic level for math. In Alabama, a newer immigrant magnet, 51 percent did."

"Ms. Foxen said poverty’s legacy, discrimination, alienation and a general feeling of 'not quite belonging' were to blame."

"Janet Murguía, president of the National Council of La Raza, said Hispanic young people should be a national public policy priority."


====

What this article tells me is that illegal immigration won't be a "problem" in one more generation. All the children of illegals will be US citizens, although all the negative socioeconomic traits will remain (if not worsening). If we don't do something about illegal immigration NOW, it will be far far too late. We will have a massive underclass with declining national and state-level test scores every year. Test scores aren't going down because the teachers are bad, but because we have a massive influx of a mostly illiterate population with little interest in education.
Sounds more like fear of the unknown and classic fear mongering of the highest degree.

A massive underclass? Sounds more like a wee bit of arrogance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2010, 04:51 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Reputation: 17698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
Sounds more like fear of the unknown and classic fear mongering of the highest degree.

A massive underclass? Sounds more like a wee bit of arrogance.
If they were a Peasant in Mexico and Guatemala (I didn't invent the term) what would that make them here? They are poor, illegal and have committed a crime just by being here. Most continue with a list of crimes to obtain work or get on the social service list.

Henry Mayhew first coined it as "This scum of the depraved elements of all classes" and gave a list of what it meant. It's probably Wiki'd, I first heard it in a Econ class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top