Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Needless to say: if the USA needs fresh blood; legal immigrants from English speaking nations (Ireland, UK, Australia, Belize, South Africa, India, etc.) need to go to the top of the list followed by folks from other First World nations i.e. France, Germany, Spain, etc. As for the rest of the world like Mexico, let them fight over the rest of the immigration visas.
What ever happend to bring me your tired, poor and all that good stuff. What you want doesn't sound very American to me.
You think people born in Developed (we don't used 1st world, 3rd world anymore) are better than people in developing countries, who don't speak english?
Hmmmm.

And people in Arizona say it has nothing to do with race and nationality. Yea right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:55 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Thank god! I hope we all get together on this.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
What ever happend to bring me your tired, poor and all that good stuff. What you want doesn't sound very American to me.
You think people born in Developed (we don't used 1st world, 3rd world anymore) are better than people in developing countries, who don't speak english?
Hmmmm.

And people in Arizona say it has nothing to do with race and nationality. Yea right!
Quote:
Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
You mean all of that good stuff?

That good stuff which greeted LEGAL immigrants on their way through to Ellis Island as they LEGALLY immigrated to the United States?

Is that the good stuff you're talking about?

Just a little FYI: The United States of America allows more legal immigrants into this country every year than every other country on Earth combined. We have the most liberal immigration policies in the world.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's spurring government action alright..but the wrong way.

The Fed is backing off and taking immigration reform off the table while the states talk about enacting bills.

Obama's administration needs to address this; this is a FEDERAL issue. I do not blame the states at all for taking their own action because the Fed wants to do nothing nor acknowledge the problem nor provide the border control it is supposed to be doing.

If anything..be mad at the current administration for running away from this yet being the first to point a finger.
The current Administration wants to take it off the table so that in the November elections they could still have a chance of winning. They want everyone to put the blame on the Republicans. The majority of Americans want the tough immigration law. So, this is going to backfire on the Dems, IMO.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:10 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's spurring government action alright..but the wrong way.

The Fed is backing off and taking immigration reform off the table while the states talk about enacting bills.

Obama's administration needs to address this; this is a FEDERAL issue. I do not blame the states at all for taking their own action because the Fed wants to do nothing nor acknowledge the problem nor provide the border control it is supposed to be doing.

If anything..be mad at the current administration for running away from this yet being the first to point a finger.
In 1996 the Illegal Immigration Reform and Responsibility Act (IIRAIRA 96) was signed into law by then President Bill Clinton. Among other things, this bill gives states the right to enforce Federal immigration law.

This IS a state issue and states have a responsibility to their citizens. I'm glad that there are some who are willing to step up to the plate and take that responsibility on, no matter what sort of flak they receive from naysayers.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Hmmmm.

Bottom line: we (the USA) can cherry-pick whom we let in. If a bunch of illiterate peasants from _______ are upset---------too bad. We have enough Americans who are not college material who have the right to live/work here. Illegals do not.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
In 1996 the Illegal Immigration Reform and Responsibility Act (IIRAIRA 96) was signed into law by then President Bill Clinton. Among other things, this bill gives states the right to enforce Federal immigration law.

This IS a state issue and states have a responsibility to their citizens. I'm glad that there are some who are willing to step up to the plate and take that responsibility on, no matter what sort of flak they receive from naysayers.

It's a good law, and with that being said .. "HEY TEXAS" .. Bring it on ..

Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM

16 posts, read 10,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Needless to say: if the USA needs fresh blood; legal immigrants from English speaking nations (Ireland, UK, Australia, Belize, South Africa, India, etc.) need to go to the top of the list followed by folks from other First World nations i.e. France, Germany, Spain, etc. As for the rest of the world like Mexico, let them fight over the rest of the immigration visas.

Why is that?, because you say so?, I don't think so, immigration will continue to be predominantly hispanic, like it or not....

Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanicapr View Post
Why is that?, because you say so?, I don't think so, immigration will continue to be predominantly hispanic, like it or not....
You need to take a look at US history: immigration was relatively open till 1920 when we clamped down on it; then it was opened up again in 1965---------fast forward to 2010 and all of the indicators are in place to slam the door again. If going by 1920 when the Italians and Irish (many of the former returned to Italy leaving the ones who were willing to become Americans) were all but shut out; the USA will quite likely limit large scale immigration from Mexico, etc. today.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
It's a good law, and with that being said .. "HEY TEXAS" .. Bring it on ..
Absolutely - by the time the next session is in there may be some early results of how this is working out in AZ, what the costs and savings are and other factors that come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration