Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The Sheriff is not the "police" .. the Sheriff is the supreme law enforcement official in a county who's authority is superseded by no one .. including federal authority.

The reason is, he is an "elected" law enforcement official with his primary duty to protect the citizens of his county, which includes refusing to enforce any law that may be deemed by the sheriff to violate the rights of those citizens who he swore an oath to protect. This also includes other law enforcement actions taken by other officials.
It's nobody in law enforcement's right or business to decide what laws are violative of people's rights. That's up to the court system, not to law enforcement. It's the executive branch's job to EXECUTE the laws that the legislature passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
If anything I wouldn't have thought the Sheriff of PIMA County (As in the county with the most of the Mexican border on it in this state) would object to this, seeing what illegals are doing in Tucson. Regardless he is obligated to follow the law and protect citizens because it's a policeman's duty, he can't "pick and choose", no other sheriff in this state has voiced any opposition to this.
I'm a white guy, so I'm not harassed by the cops for my color. But I HAVE been harassed by the police. Harassing me is NOT protecting me.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
It's nobody in law enforcement's right or business to decide what laws are violative of people's rights. That's up to the court system, not to law enforcement. It's the executive branch's job to EXECUTE the laws that the legislature passed.
Actually, sheriffs are a little different than regular law enforcement. In many places they are elected by the local electorate, and their oaths are to that electorate, not to the government.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 PM

470 posts, read 461,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, the analogy isn't ridiculous. The law is requiring people whose appearance is distinct from others to carry with them extra documentation to prove their identity. That's discrimination. It's unlawful. And law enforcement officers who are obligated to uphold the law should be able to exercise their right of free speech to say they will not enforce legislation that is both unjust, and unlawful.
What????? The law does NOT say that anyone who is NOT white or looks different than me has to carry ID with them. You never read the law did you? Just another blowhard eh? It is a CRIME, you know, ILLEGAL to be here like they are. Carry your ID and green card and shut up already!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:56 PM

55 posts, read 209,982 times
Saw this posted on facebook today. Seemed relevant to this thread.

Michelle Malkin » Police state: How Mexico treats illegal aliens

Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Actually, sheriffs are a little different than regular law enforcement. In many places they are elected by the local electorate, and their oaths are to that electorate, not to the government.
Oh come on, that is pure junk! Their oath is to uphold and ENFORCE the laws on the books, not make them or decide what is constitutional or not.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicWays1983 View Post
Saw this posted on facebook today. Seemed relevant to this thread.

Michelle Malkin » Police state: How Mexico treats illegal aliens
I know, it's pretty ridiculous that's how we as Americans would be treated if we were there ilegally and the Mexicans are just fine with that.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,239,025 times
Quote:
If you knew what a sheriff even was, they are local level marshalls, they are in charge of prisoner transport.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:00 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
What????? The law does NOT say that anyone who is NOT white or looks different than me has to carry ID with them. You never read the law did you? Just another blowhard eh? It is a CRIME, you know, ILLEGAL to be here like they are. Carry your ID and green card and shut up already!

Arizona cops aren't going to be stopping white people demanding proof of their citizenship.

Cops are going to be using this law as an excuse to stop folks though...even if they suspect them of something else.

The law is ill conceived. There are better ways to deal with illegal immigration.

Arizona is becoming a police state..

Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Hmmmm, I never said anything about someone who was NOT white. I said that their appearance was distinct from others. And that's true. It's discrimination to require one group of people to meet a different standard than other people. The law, leaving the judgment to officers to determine how distinct a person's appearance has to be before raising suspicions, is still promoting discrimination. It's bad legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration