U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 PM

3,169 posts, read 3,970,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm a white guy, so I'm not harassed by the cops for my color. But I HAVE been harassed by the police. Harassing me is NOT protecting me.
I see, I had this whole harrassment claim talked about yesterday. I heard that the best way to handle this is to bust them, then deport them is if there is a crime in progress, and they have no ID or drivers license, then that would be grounds to bust them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:10 PM

470 posts, read 389,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Hmmmm, I never said anything about someone who was NOT white. I said that their appearance was distinct from others. And that's true. It's discrimination to require one group of people to meet a different standard than other people. The law, leaving the judgment to officers to determine how distinct a person's appearance has to be before raising suspicions, is still promoting discrimination. It's bad legislation.
NO. You are completely wrong. It doesn't require ONLY people that look different than everyone else to have proof. It requires that EVERYONE has proof that they are a citizen.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:13 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,956,758 times
you know...if arresting officers recieved 500 bux bonus for every illegal they nabbed...they would be doing the happy dance....

Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM

39,088 posts, read 23,221,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
Oh come on, that is pure junk! Their oath is to uphold and ENFORCE the laws on the books, not make them or decide what is constitutional or not.
Actually, the oaths vary from state to state, and even from county to county. For instance, this is the oath of office for the sheriff in Polk County, Florida. Notice the part where they are obligated to uphold the Constitution.

"I do solemnly swear that I will support, protect and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States, and of the State of Florida; that I am duly qualified to hold office under the Constitution of the State; and that I will well and faithfully perform the duties of Polk County Sheriff on which I am now about to enter. So help me God."

Old 04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
If you knew what a sheriff even was, they are local level marshalls, they are in charge of prisoner transport.
No, actually, sheriffs have a different range of responsibility depending on the county and state where they serve. Sheriffs generally have much more responsibility than prisoner transport.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:17 PM

11,060 posts, read 18,147,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm a white guy, so I'm not harassed by the cops for my color. But I HAVE been harassed by the police. Harassing me is NOT protecting me.

I'm white also. I look like Ozzy Osbourne, well better but....

Once got pulled over for a "rolling stop" on a stop sign. Cops says to me "I smell MJ on you, you look high to me, were is it?" I told him no I am not and no I don't because I don't smoke it (anymore anyway haha). Cop says " yeah right", shines the flash light around my car, says he is gonna search it. Another cop pulls up, he helps search my car, gets excited when he finds a pill under my floor mat. It was a friggin aspirin. Better luck next time buddy.

Another time I pulled up to bar known for some rough stuff. But it has bands play and that is why I was there. As I get out I realize the place is being raided by cops with masks. I go to leave and am rushed with guns in my face. They search my car, find a gun magazine "we found a gun magazine!" after which they really search my car for weapons. Whole time one officer has his weapon drawn on me while they search my car and run my ID. The only thing they found of in my car other than a gun magazine was a box of condoms in my trunk which they made wise cracks about.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 PM

470 posts, read 389,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, the oaths vary from state to state, and even from county to county. For instance, this is the oath of office for the sheriff in Polk County, Florida. Notice the part where they are obligated to uphold the Constitution.

"I do solemnly swear that I will support, protect and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States, and of the State of Florida; that I am duly qualified to hold office under the Constitution of the State; and that I will well and faithfully perform the duties of Polk County Sheriff on which I am now about to enter. So help me God."
DC, your posts are getting dumber and dumber. ALL police officers of any kind have to swear to an oath to uphold the constitution whether it be local, state or federal. This law is NOT unconstitutional so he has to honor it, it is a STATE LAW. If for some reason the feds determine it unconstitutional, that's a different story then, so far that hasn't happened and the way it is written it probably won't.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:18 PM

12,870 posts, read 12,794,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicWays1983 View Post
Saw this posted on facebook today. Seemed relevant to this thread.

Michelle Malkin » Police state: How Mexico treats illegal aliens
mexico doesn't mess around with their illegal aliens:

– Illegal entry into the country is equivalent to a felony punishable by two years’ imprisonment. Document fraud is subject to fine and imprisonment; so is alien marriage fraud. Evading deportation is a serious crime; illegal re-entry after deportation is punishable by ten years’ imprisonment. Foreigners may be kicked out of the country without due process and the endless bites at the litigation apple that illegal aliens are afforded in our country (see, for example, President Obama’s illegal alien aunt — a fugitive from deportation for eight years who is awaiting a second decision on her previously rejected asylum claim).

– Law enforcement officials at all levels — by national mandate — must cooperate to enforce immigration laws, including illegal alien arrests and deportations. The Mexican military is also required to assist in immigration enforcement operations.

Native-born Mexicans are empowered to make citizens’ arrests of illegal aliens and turn them in to authorities.

you gotta love it!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db1025 View Post
NO. You are completely wrong. It doesn't require ONLY people that look different than everyone else to have proof. It requires that EVERYONE has proof that they are a citizen.
Right, every Arizona resident is now going to be carrying their birth certificate and passport with them. Because they ALL can expect to be stopped by police officers who think they LOOK like an illegal. When you include someone's appearance in legislation, it's discriminatory and bad legislation.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM

16,119 posts, read 20,198,117 times
He needs to reconsider, the Kansas Lawyers who drew up this bill designed it so they could sue municipalities and make millions on Arizona Taxpayers. If he has to do something just challenge EVERYONE> Remember a Drivers License is Not proof of citizenship and a Social security Card has no picture

Papers Please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or