U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,036,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Can we start taking bets to see how long it takes before this thread is locked?
I don't see why. It's a major issue that concerns Colorado. People can only play hide the pickle with this deal for so much longer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:38 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Safe bet that he'll carry mostly white bread and conservative El Paso County (Hah!) but not much else that matters. I hate it when politicians jump on a bandwagon to pander to a certain demographic or fad.

The federal government is to blame, totally. We are the laughing stock of the world; our Congress has been for sale for so long to the National Chamber of Commerce and big business that they've winked at this problem for 30 years. Yes, 30 damned years. The problem started long before Reagan's 1986 amnesty.

Just about every restaurant operator, landscaper, meat packing operator and construction labor outfit in the country likes that cheap labor and total lack of paying for any health care, vacation or sick pay, workers comp, unemployment, etc. The rich get richer and we pay the social costs of millions of illegals. Anybody want to join me in a group scream.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm not in any way anti-Hispanic, and--in fact--I have great respect for the Hispanic heritage of Colorado. This is not about ethnicity or nationality. People who enter this country illegally are breaking a very basic law of the land and they need to be held accountable and deported, whatever their ethnicity or nationality. Period. Embedded within those illegal immigrants is a disturbingly high percentage of criminals and thugs that would not be in this country if our immigration laws were enforced. Those who support allowing our porous borders to stay that way share culpability for the crimes those people commit against American citizens.

Finally, there are certain to be court challenges of the Arizona law. I would note that Scott McInnis is an attorney and I can say (because I know him personally and how he operates) that he has probably studied the wording of the Arizona bill very diligently to see if, in his view, the law passes Constitutional muster. Also, knowing Scott personally, I would say that he is the last person in the world that I would consider bigoted in any way against the Hispanic community. I would say he probably understands and respects the Hispanic heritage of Colorado better than most Coloradans.

To be clear on my stance on the illegal immigration issue:

1. All illegal immigrants in the United States should be deported. No exceptions.

2. Employers found guilty of knowingly employing illegal immigrants should be subject to severe fines (say $10,000-$100,000 per day for each incident) and/or significant jail time.

That would remove both the illegal aliens from this country and the incentive for them to come here. Then law enforcement could concentrate on rounding up and prosecuting the few illegal aliens left in this country whose sole reason for being here is to engage in pure criminal activity like the drug trade.
I don't know why people always get on that old saw that if you don't believe in letting illegal immigrants run all over your country that you are anti hispanic. Far from it. In fact we have plenty of people smuggling and illegal immigration problems with people from China and many countries in Africa, so this is hardly just a hispanic oriented problem.

For those that have an interest in this issue, examine what the Mexican laws are regarding illegal immigrants. That might open some eyes.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,279,037 times
Your assertion is incorrect. Most legal immigrants are not in favor of the Arizona law and the folks behind it, like most of the other right wing craziness right now, are pretty much all pale and male. The change occuring in this country is irreversible even if a lot of "anglo hombres" can't accept it. I'll give you one back:

"Si de tu vecino ves la barba cortar, pon la tuya a remojar"

Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,120,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Safe bet that he'll carry mostly white bread and conservative El Paso County (Hah!) but not much else that matters. I hate it when politicians jump on a bandwagon to pander to a certain demographic or fad.

The federal government is to blame, totally. We are the laughing stock of the world; our Congress has been for sale for so long to the National Chamber of Commerce and big business that they've winked at this problem for 30 years. Yes, 30 damned years. The problem started long before Reagan's 1986 amnesty.

Just about every restaurant operator, landscaper, meat packing operator and construction labor outfit in the country likes that cheap labor and total lack of paying for any health care, vacation or sick pay, workers comp, unemployment, etc. The rich get richer and we pay the social costs of millions of illegals. Anybody want to join me in a group scream.....
You neglected to mention the mostly liberal politicians who support giving amnesty to illegal immigrants because they believe that those people will then support them at the polls--that's just a new tactic for ballot-box stuffing. Spend any time around the "activists" and that dirty little secret will always eventually come out.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
This really makes me sick...

Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott McInnis said today he backs Arizona’s tough immigration enforcement law, which allows police officers to stop people on the street — if they have reasonable suspicion — to prove they’re in the country legally.

“I’d do something very similar” if elected governor, McInnis said on Peter Boyles’s radio show on KHOW.

Colorado Republican Scott McInnis supports Arizona immigration law | The Spot

I hope this costs him the election.
Wrong! The police will not be able to stop people on the street to ask their status in this country simply on a whim that they might be in this country illegally. They can only be stopped during the commission of or suspicion that they committed another crime. If they can provide valid I.D. there would be no reason to even ask them that question.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

To me if there is a need for tons of labor to work fields and meat packing plants, great, then lets have a temp visa program. They pay taxes and we know who they are and what they are doing here. Fair enough I think.

Amnesty, that will never work. Didn't work before and most likely contributed to making the problem worse.

I don't see it as a fad either. This issue has been boiling away gradually bankrupting states and it's coming to a head.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The Republicans are doomed. They've written off the latino vote the way the Democrats did the Southern white vote following the Civil Rights Act. Unfortunately for them though the latino demographic is growing much faster than that of the middle aged white male. The Republicans will be facing the same prospects as the Israelis relative to the fast growing Palestinian population. So go ahead and support it and watch Colorado turn politically into another California.
The Republicans would lose the Latino vote just for insisting that our immigration laws be honored and enforced? Why? Aren't Latino citizens beholding to and expected to respect our laws just like the rest of us are?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM

20,325 posts, read 37,832,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
To me if there is a need for tons of labor to work fields and meat packing plants, great, then lets have a temp visa program. They pay taxes and we know who they are and what they are doing here. Fair enough I think.

Amnesty, that will never work. Didn't work before and most likely contributed to making the problem worse.

I don't see it as a fad either. This issue has been boiling away gradually bankrupting states and it's coming to a head.
Agree on all counts. Temp or worker visa's are fine. But lets make those jobs subject to minimum wage and safety laws plus have the employers chip in for health care and schools. I don't care if my corn on the cob goes up in price from the 25-cents-an-ear I paid today to 33-cents or 50-cents an ear. We cannot treat our own people this badly, so why treat guest workers with such contempt which only creates a festering hatred in them for our nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You neglected to mention the mostly liberal politicians who support giving amnesty to illegal immigrants because they believe that those people will then support them at the polls--that's just a new tactic for ballot-box stuffing. Spend any time around the "activists" and that dirty little secret will always eventually come out.
That's true too, though many GOP'ers favored a "path to citizenship" as well as some of the DEM's. IIRC, both John McCain and G.W.Bush favored this approach, among others. Politicians will pander to whatever group they think they can milk for votes, and once elected, forget all about us and pay heed to the National Chamber of Commerce, Wall Street, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,279,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The Republicans would lose the Latino vote just for insisting that our immigration laws be honored and enforced? Why? Aren't Latino citizens beholding to and expected to respect our laws just like the rest of us are?
I think they're more interested in getting more people here who will beef up their voting bloc. That's just good politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or