U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 PM

621 posts, read 1,405,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The Republicans are doomed. They've written off the latino vote the way the Democrats did the Southern white vote following the Civil Rights Act. Unfortunately for them though the latino demographic is growing much faster than that of the middle aged white male. The Republicans will be facing the same prospects as the Israelis relative to the fast growing Palestinian population. So go ahead and support it and watch Colorado turn politically into another California.
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. I am half Cuban, my family came here legally before Castro took over. I support this immigration bill and so do many of my Cuban family members. The Republicans are doing whats right, IMO. They're taking care of the messes the current administration has left behind and ignored.

I dont understand why people are SO AGAINST illegal immigration... it's mind boggling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Your assertion is incorrect. Most legal immigrants are not in favor of the Arizona law and the folks behind it, like most of the other right wing craziness right now, are pretty much all pale and male. The change occuring in this country is irreversible even if a lot of "anglo hombres" can't accept it. I'll give you one back:

"Si de tu vecino ves la barba cortar, pon la tuya a remojar"
OK, here's an example. I worked with a very fine Hispanic lady from southern Colorado for several years. Her parents legally immigrated to the US from Mexico in the 1950's--her father worked as a laborer, working his way up to a foreman's job. Both her parents jumped through all the hoops and became American citizens. They taught their daughter, my co-worker, that she should be proud of her heritage, taught her to speak both English and Spanish, but impressed on her always that she and her siblings were AMERICANS. She went to college, got her degree and is quite successful in a very responsible job. She moved from her home in her southern Colorado neighborhood to a relatively Anglo city in large part because her old neighborhood literally was overrun by illegal immigrants--bringing with them a litany of crime and gang problems that had been practically unknown before. Her term for them was either "****ing w**backs" or "cabróns." Either in English or Spanish, both of which she speaks fluently, is there any doubt about her opinion of illegal immigrants? Hardly.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree on all counts. Temp or worker visa's are fine. But lets make those jobs subject to minimum wage and safety laws plus have the employers chip in for health care and schools. I don't care if my corn on the cob goes up in price from the 25-cents-an-ear I paid today to 33-cents or 50-cents an ear. We cannot treat our own people this badly, so why treat guest workers with such contempt which only creates a festering hatred in them for our nation.
Actually I don't think there would be a negative economic impact in the end for a variety of reasons. From what I heard about in Vail with employers that use illegals, they put so much time and effort in to evading and keeping it covered up, it's not going to cost anything bringing it above board. And in a lot of cases it's not that employers want cheap illegal labor, but that they just can't find local help, even for decent pay.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM

16,165 posts, read 20,176,426 times
From 1969 to the mid 1990's I worked power plant and pipeline construction. I got to know hundreds of people, many of them Hispanics. Though the majority of them were laborers and cement finishers, there were many Hispanics who worked the skilled trades; ironworkers, pipefitters, electricians, etc.

The laborers worked the hardest for the least amount of pay amongst the craftsmen, but were always respected by the other trades. Always. Has anyone here ever pushed a shovel out of a spreader box on a laydown machine on a highway paving job? How about running a jackhammer breaking up concrete? Or running a tamper machine? It's G** D*** hard work, I'll tell you that.

When I left the trade in the mid 90's, the laborers union wages weren't anything to write home about, but they at least were able to feed their families and provide a roof over their head. I'm guessing their wages were about $11.50 an hour, maybe a little more.

The illegal immigration movement didn't do these guys any favors, you can bet the house on that. Why? Because skinflint contractors would hire illegals at a fraction of the wages that union hands were making at that time. It's gotten worse today, much worse.

I worked on a 3 state CO-2 pipeline project in 1982, and I got to know a number of the laborers that were hired out of the Pueblo and Albuquerque union locals. They came from Colorado towns like Walsenburg, Aguilar, and Trinidad. The guys from New Mexico were from small towns like Penasco, Mora, Chimayo. Others were from Farmington, Aztec, and Clayton.

How did the laborers feel about immigration? Pretty easy question to answer. Those guys worked with their hands and their backs their whole lives. Their families went back generations living in the Southwest. They didn't take kindly to companies hiring illegals. Their relatives and friends came in to this country the old way, the right way. They worked on these jobs when benefits were close to non-existent. It took the Laborers union a long time to build up benefits; health insurance, a pension, vacation pay. When I joined Teamsters Local 13 in 1969, our benefits were similar to the laborers-none. They resent the fact that companies nowadays can grease the palms of the connected. They resent companies who knowingly hire illegals and flat don't care what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-28-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,150,620 times
I bet a third of the student population in DPS would vanish as a result..................

Old 04-29-2010, 08:23 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,640,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. I am half Cuban, my family came here legally before Castro took over. I support this immigration bill and so do many of my Cuban family members. The Republicans are doing whats right, IMO. They're taking care of the messes the current administration has left behind and ignored.

I dont understand why people are SO AGAINST illegal immigration... it's mind boggling!
I think that we can all agree that something needs to be done about illegal immigration. I for one, am strongly against it. If people choose to immigrate to this country, they need to do so the right way.

What I am against is the potential racial profiling that can come out of this new law. What consitutes "reason to believe" that someone is in this country illegally? A Mexican last name? This law targets Mexican immigrants, while ignoring the fact that there are also many illegal immigrants from Europe, Canada, Asia, etc...

Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I think that we can all agree that something needs to be done about illegal immigration. I for one, am strongly against it. If people choose to immigrate to this country, they need to do so the right way.

What I am against is the potential racial profiling that can come out of this new law. What consitutes "reason to believe" that someone is in this country illegally? A Mexican last name? This law targets Mexican immigrants, while ignoring the fact that there are also many illegal immigrants from Europe, Canada, Asia, etc...
The obfuscation regarding this law is mind-boggling. The “reason to believe” component of this law is subsequent to the “lawful contact” requirement. In other words, one must FIRST do something unlawful. THEN, an officer will request ID. If the person is unable to provide valid identification, the officer would have “reason to believe” the individual is in the country illegally, and would proceed to ascertain legal status. IF a determination of “illegal” status is made, ICE would then be contacted.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 813 times
Has anyone who opposes the new SB1070 in AZ read the text of the 'Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986'? This becomes the heart of the matter as I see it. Another amnesty (as in the amnesty of 1986) will not solve the problem, only make it worse. Amnesty for illegal activity (whether illegal immigration or any other form of illegal activity) means turning a blind eye and deaf ear to the law. Is this latest AZ senate bill, passed and signed into law by Governor Jan Brewer a good idea? I guess it depends on who you ask. If you are asking the companies that see this bill as a threat to their profits, or the illegal immigrants that feed off of our society, then I would say the answer is no, it is not a good idea. Now, if you ask the people who live in fear in Phoenix and those who are over run along the border, then I would say the answer is yes, the bill is a good idea. Since the Federal government has done little to nothing to solve the problem, then the states have the right to do what is necessary to protect it's citizens. Should the Hispanic US citizens be afraid of this new law? Certainly NOT. Should the illegal immigrants be afraid of this new law? I hope so. If you read in our constitution, you will find that the primary role of our government is to protect it's citizens from threats both domestic and foreign. Keep in mind, if our borders were secure prior to 9-11, and illegal immigration taken seriously, then the events of 9-11 may have not even taken place. Instead of illegal immigration being looked upon as a minor offense, treat it as it should be, a threat to our safety and sovereignty. Question: If amnesty is granted yet again in 2010 or 2011, (as it was in 1986) will the value of citizenship in the US be looked upon as anything but a sham? The best suggestion I have read about what to do about this problem was posted by another person in another comment section. Illegal immigrants (no matter what country they came from) should not be deported. Instead, they should be flown by airplane (for free) to Washington, DC on a one way ticket. Then, we would see the federal government act on behalf of it's US citizens! One last thought - do I personally think that everyone has the right to make a better life for themselves and their families? Without a doubt, YES. Do I think that everyone (or anyone) has the right to do it by any means necessary? Of course not. If you want to be a citizen of this country then follow the rules. (laws) And remember, citizenship in this country (as in any other country) is a privilege, not a right or entitlement. Thank you for reading.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:51 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post

So a Cop walks up to someone standing outside Home Depot and begins to talk to them about something obscure. The person can't answer more than yes or no. At this point the Cop asked what part of town they live, still no answer. At this point I would ask for ID and explain that it's against the law to loiter. If they can't provide ID more than likely we've found an Illegal Alien.

It's not rocket science.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
OK, here's an example. I worked with a very fine Hispanic lady from southern Colorado for several years. Her parents legally immigrated to the US from Mexico in the 1950's--her father worked as a laborer, working his way up to a foreman's job. Both her parents jumped through all the hoops and became American citizens. They taught their daughter, my co-worker, that she should be proud of her heritage, taught her to speak both English and Spanish, but impressed on her always that she and her siblings were AMERICANS. She went to college, got her degree and is quite successful in a very responsible job. She moved from her home in her southern Colorado neighborhood to a relatively Anglo city in large part because her old neighborhood literally was overrun by illegal immigrants--bringing with them a litany of crime and gang problems that had been practically unknown before. Her term for them was either "****ing w**backs" or "cabróns." Either in English or Spanish, both of which she speaks fluently, is there any doubt about her opinion of illegal immigrants? Hardly.
For the view of a once-illegal, now-legal-through-1986-amnesty woman I work with...

She's been in the US since the age of 18. She's now 48. The only English she understands is the little needed to get by at work each day. She does not claim to be an American, doesn't want to be an American, and she teaches her son, who was born here and serves in the US Navy, that he is not an American. She teaches him that Mexico is his country, not the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or