U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,494,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Searches? What searches? The AZ law isn't about searches. Did you even read what the law consists of? What Denver is doing is ridiculous. No one has anything to fear if they are a legal resident or citizen. Do they hire illegal aliens and that is what they are afraid of?
Yep, and what's funny is that the people screaming about the "racist" police officers in Phoenix who are going to be stopping innocent Mexicans while they're getting ice cream and throwing them in jail for 12 hours seemed to not have a problem with Phoenix a few months ago. What changed? How did the police officers that no one had a problem with a few weeks ago before this bill got signed now suddenly are being called The Gestapo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,151,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not surprising from a school district that has become pretty much a joke of educational mediocrity and under-achievement in the state of Colorado. They really have a lot bigger things to worry about than some employee (who undoubtedly has a photo ID from the school district) getting harassed in Arizona. Those DPS mental giants should be tending to their own knitting in their own schools--schools that have real festering problems, many the result of a deluge of, you guessed it, illegal immigrants.
Oh please. I would like to see you try and last a DAY teaching high school in DPS. You would get eaten alive. And it doesn't have everything to do with a "deluge of illegal immigrants" -- although I am sure we try our best to educate many -- it has to do with parents and students that don't give a damn about the importance of education.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Oh please. I would like to see you try and last a DAY teaching high school in DPS. You would get eaten alive. And it doesn't have everything to do with a "deluge of illegal immigrants" -- although I am sure we try our best to educate many -- it has to do with parents and students that don't give a damn about the importance of education.
You're probably right--I wouldn't last a day. Because I would actually expect students to behave and give a damn about getting educated. If one didn't, I'd throw his or her sorry *** out and teach the kids who do want to learn. Of course, the same parents who couldn't care less about their kids would be screaming for my head on a stick to the school administration. That would be the same administration trying to stick its nose into the politics of another state, instead of worrying about their own little nest of horrors in Denver.

I have great admiration for most school teachers (I was married to one for years), but until we as a society figure out that schools for supposed to be for educating kids--not a baby-sitting service, not a juvenile delinquent rehabilitation agency, not an extension of the welfare system--education is going to continue to slide down to the least common denominator in this country. By the way, my ex-wife knew first-hand the difficulties in dealing with classrooms filled with the often-transient children of illegal immigrant families, a number of the kids who managed to involve themselves in pretty serious criminal activity before they were even 18 years old. So, this is not a subject I speak about in the abstract sense.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:26 AM

16,172 posts, read 20,180,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think they're more interested in getting more people here who will beef up their voting bloc. That's just good politics.
With this situation spiraling out of control (and has been for the last couple decades), the last thing the American public should stand for is both parties worrying about their voting blocs. And IMO, politicians worry only about two things: 1. Get elected and 2. Get reelected.

The situation with the law enforcement official being shot by an illegal with an AK-47 the other day reminds me of a similar instance that happened earlier this decade. The subject here is Kris Eggle.

There is a lot of information on Kris Eggle.org. Mr. Eggle is one of well over hundreds of government employees who have killed on the job. His situation is different than border patrol employees. He was a National Park Service employee.He was gunned down by a illegal immigrant drug cartel hit squad in the Organ Pipe National Monument in southern Arizona. According to the report, an AK-47 was used here as well. This was August in 2002.

Yes, and Forest Service rangers are now required to carry firearms these days as well. If I had majored in forestry and range management when I wanted to choose this occupation as what I wanted to do with my life, the last thing I would have thought of was carrying a gun. Like the NPS people, they do now though, and have for years. It's a requirement if you are going to work out in the field.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-03-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 02:19 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,099,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
With this situation spiraling out of control (and has been for the last couple decades), the last thing the American public should stand for is both parties worrying about their voting blocs.

The situation with the law enforcement official being shot by an illegal with an AK-47 the other day reminds me of a similar instance that happened earlier this decade. The subject here is Kris Eggle.

There is a lot of information on Kris Eggle.org. Mr. Eggle is one of well over hundreds of government employees who have killed on the job. His situation is different than border patrol employees. He was a National Park Service employee.He was gunned down by a illegal immigrant drug cartel hit squad in the Organ Pipe National Monument in southern Arizona. According to the report, an AK-47 was used here as well. This was August in 2002.

Yes, and Forest Service rangers are now required to carry firearms these days as well. If I had majored in forestry and range management when I wanted to choose this occupation as what I wanted to do with my life, the last thing I would have thought of was carrying a gun. Like the NPS people, they do now though, and have for years. It's a requirement if you are going to work out in the field.
How right you are. It's not only the Forest Service people who are now armed. I never used to carry a firearm with me when I would go to the publics lands in Colorado--either BLM or Forest Service. I do now, and most everyone I know in my area does. And, no, they or I are not worried about defending against rabid 4-legged animals--it's the two-legged kind that are now the real danger.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
You're right...but instead of actually turning this energy that they have over a bill they know nothing about, perhaps they could use it to stay in school and graduate. DPS's problem (and the other school districts that stink) is lack of interest and involvement and then we see that they're involved enough TO WALK OUT OF SCHOOL TO PROTEST but not enough to actually stay in school to graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or