U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,031,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN

Can you give a legal definition of the following words?
For
Any
Made
By
A
Or
Of
This
Exists
That
The
An

Not that I don't take your word for it, but I would like a link from a reputable source, sorry, no blogs or op ed pieces.
Since "FOR" is not a legal term, I'll give you the standard defintion with link, your turn now. I'll make it easy for you, it doesn't have to be legal definition, any definition , legal or not, of "lawful contact"

For - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: 1for
Pronunciation: \fər, (ˈ)fȯr, Southern also (ˈ)fär\
Function: preposition
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Latin per through, prae before, pro before, for, ahead, Greek pro, Old English faran to go — more at fare
Date: before 12th century
1 a —used as a function word to indicate purpose <a grant for studying medicine> b —used as a function word to indicate an intended goal <left for home> <acted for the best> c —used as a function word to indicate the object or recipient of a perception, desire, or activity <now for a good rest> <run for your life> <an eye for a bargain>
2 a : as being or constituting <taken for a fool> <eggs for breakfast> b —used as a function word to indicate an actual or implied enumeration or selection <for one thing, the price is too high>
3 : because of <can't sleep for the heat>
4 —used as a function word to indicate suitability or fitness <it is not for you to choose> <ready for action>
5 a : in place of <go to the store for me> b (1) : on behalf of : representing <speaks for the court> (2) : in favor of <all for the plan>
6 : in spite of —usually used with all <for all his large size, he moves gracefully>
7 : with respect to : concerning <a stickler for detail> <heavy for its size>
8 a —used as a function word to indicate equivalence in exchange <$10 for a hat>, equality in number or quantity <point for point>, or correspondence or correlation <for every one that works, you'll find five that don't> b —used as a function word to indicate number of attempts <0 for 4>
9 —used as a function word to indicate duration of time or extent of space <gone for two days>
10 : in honor of : after <named for her grandmother>

Old 04-28-2010, 06:32 PM

5,774 posts, read 6,657,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They already could, so long as you were white or black, this law allows us to apply it evenly even to Hispanics.
Wrong. Police, whether federal, state or local CAN NOT demand identification if they have NO PROBABLE CAUSE to infer that you are committing a crime OR are ABOUT to commit a crime.

They can ask, but YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PRODUCE.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Reasonable Suspicion" is a code word for, do whatever the hell you want to include racial profiling...If it were anything else the term "probable cause" would've been used.
OH MY GOD, we might 'racially profile' someone. So friggin' what!! If a person does not speak our language, that is a pretty good cue they should produce some documents showing they are here legally, and on a border state like AZ, the predominate problem is illegals from MEXICO. Whom are mostly brown colored, some black, and many whom look quite white or middle eastern even. Good grief! If the shoe fits...............The left wingers are WAYYYYY to wrapped up in the race card, to the point of a complete lack of common sense.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Wrong. Police, whether federal, state or local CAN NOT demand identification if they have NO PROBABLE CAUSE to infer that you are committing a crime OR are ABOUT to commit a crime.

Police won't even bother to do anything if you look like an Illegal because they get a fake name and address, they write a ticket and no one shows or pays it. Now, if they suspect that they can haul them in.

I don't see anything wrong with that. NOTHING.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,155,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Not only can they search you without any crime being commited, they can use race, and get this, if you fail to provide identification, you are presumed guilty. Here is the text from the law

"FOR ANY LAWFUL CONTACT MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON EXCEPT IF THE DETERMINATION MAY HINDER OR OBSTRUCT AN INVESTIGATION PERSON WHO IS ARRESTED SHALL HAVE THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS DETERMINED BEFORE THE PERSON IS RELEASED. THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A COUNTY CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE MAY NOT SOLELY CONSIDER RACE, COLOR OR NATIONAL ORIGIN IN IMPLEMENTING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THIS SUBSECTION EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE UNITED STATES OR ARIZONA CONSTITUTION. A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING :

http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070h.pdf

A Drivers License costs $150 on the street. But we do know that illegals shop at WALMART, so I would think stopping anyone wearing WALMART crap would be OK

Last edited by Boompa; 04-28-2010 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 PM

530 posts, read 663,646 times
Quote:
I don't know what lawful contact means. Can you give me the legal definition. Not that I don't take your word for it, but I would like a link from a reputable source, sorry, no blogs or op ed pieces.
[law-fuhl] Show IPA
–adjective 1. allowed or permitted by law; not contrary to law: a lawful enterprise.

2. recognized or sanctioned by law; legitimate: a lawful marriage; a lawful heir.

3. appointed or recognized by law; legally qualified: a lawful king.

4. acting or living according to the law; law-abiding: a lawful man; a lawful community.

law·ful (lô'fəl)

adj.
  1. Being within the law; allowed by law: lawful methods of dissent.
  2. Established, sanctioned, or recognized by the law: the lawful heir.
  3. Obeying the law; law-abiding.
law'ful·ly adv., law'ful·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source
Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: law·ful
Function: adjective
Lawful | Define Lawful at Dictionary.com

Old 04-28-2010, 07:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,540,509 times
Quote:
Since "FOR" is not a legal term, I'll give you the standard defintion with link, your turn now. I'll make it easy for you, it doesn't have to be legal definition, any definition , legal or not, of "lawful contact"

For - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Oh, awesome! You can use a dictionary!
Goodie! My turn!

-------------------------

Lawful - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: law·ful
Pronunciation: \ˈlȯ-fəl\
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : being in harmony with the law <a lawful judgment> b : constituted, authorized, or established by law : rightful <lawful institutions>
2 : law-abiding <lawful citizens>
law·ful·ly \-f(ə-)lē\ adverb
law·ful·ness \-fəl-nəs\ noun
synonyms lawful, legal, legitimate, licit mean being in accordance with law. lawful may apply to conformity with law of any sort (as natural, divine, common, or canon) <the lawful sovereign>. legal applies to what is sanctioned by law or in conformity with the law, especially as it is written or administered by the courts <legal residents of the state>. legitimate may apply to a legal right or status but also, in extended use, to a right or status supported by tradition, custom, or accepted standards <a perfectly legitimate question about taxes>. licit applies to a strict conformity to the provisions of the law and applies especially to what is regulated by law <the licit use of drugs by doctors>.

Contact - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Main Entry: 1con·tact
Pronunciation: \ˈkän-ˌtakt\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Latin; French, from Latin contactus, from contingere to have contact with — more at contingent
Date: 1626

2 a : association, relationship b : connection, communication c : an establishing of communication with someone or an observing or receiving of a significant signal from a person or object

-------------------------

So, I would go with meaning #2 (a, b, or c works) for "contact"
and for the adjective "lawful" I would go with any of the meanings listed.

So ... when you put the two together ... (drum roll please) ...........
"lawful contact" = an association, relationship, connection, communication or an establishing of communication with someone or an observing or receiving of a significant signal from a person (or object) that is in harmony with the law (we'll go with Arizona law), or constituted/authorized/established by law (again here I'd go with Arizona law).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TA DA! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Gee, that wasn't so hard was it? Now you know what "lawful contact" means! Yay!

(dammit Moonlit! you beat me to it. I should have typed faster )

Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Yes you do
HIIBEL V. SIXTH JUDICIAL DIST. COURT OF NEV.,HUMBOLDT CTY.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...hallenge_x.htm (broken link)

Old 04-28-2010, 07:39 PM

438 posts, read 435,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They already could, so long as you were white or black, this law allows us to apply it evenly even to Hispanics.
Since when could cops stop a White or Black person on the street or pull them over and ask them to show papers.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:40 PM

8,581 posts, read 8,926,553 times
Funny how some people have no problem at all with the federal government requiring us to show our proof of insurance to the IRS.........but ask a person to see their green card, to enforce the existing law.........well that is just too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration