U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,725,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
Is this how you justify infringing on the rights and liberties of Hispanic-Americas in the name of your conquest of removing illegal immigrants from the USA?
I challenge you to read the law and tell us specifically what right is being infringed upon and how that infringement applies solely to Hispanic-Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 PM

234 posts, read 203,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It isn't the racism of pre-1960 that we are glorifying. It is a lot of things back to a simpler time when there were far less problems in this country then we have now.

Potential immigrants wait in their countries and come legally. You don't come here illegally and then claim to be a potential immigrant.

Thats not what President Reagan thought in 1986 as he set the tone for generations upon generations of immigrants to simply believe that if you come to America illegal or not, you too will get Citizenship.

You don't dangle a carrot in front of the horse and not expect the horse to start walking toward it.

America has done much to deter illegal immigrants. I mean seriously, we won the Mexican-American war in 1848, we've had over 162 years to build the necessary 2000 mile southern border wall. Ironically all that's been built is 600 miles of it.

Now you tell me who screwed up?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:10 PM

2,344 posts, read 2,974,738 times
Quote:
Is this how you justify infringing on the rights and liberties of Hispanic-Americas in the name of your conquest of removing illegal immigrants from the USA?
what's being proposed in AZ is no different than how 400 million europeans live everyday. you can be "controlled" at any time and if you can't prove your legal status you'll be detained until you can.

a belgium man was recently detained in germany until he could prove he had his residence permit and paid attention to the laws of the country he was in. this is the same for the hundreds of thousands of US citizens living in germany right now.

as a temporary or permanent immigrant to europe or many other developed nations you need to be able to prove you've gone thru all the steps required to be there.

there is nothing radical about the AZ law, nothing at all. And it's high time the US starts catching up to the rest of the deeloped world.

incidentally, what are mexico's immigration laws???? way more strict than ours, but you already knew that.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM

32,982 posts, read 30,252,700 times
Quote:
The Police are to stop anyone, anyone the two-word phrase any one means ďany single member of a group of persons. That means if you are a person including me and you.

I personally think people are more worried they "look" like one as in, "How dare they think I look like a peasant".

Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I challenge you to read the law and tell us specifically what right is being infringed upon and how that infringement applies solely to Hispanic-Americans?
Page 2 line 20-21-21-23-24 of SB1070.

Please define "probable cause" regarding what exactly an illegal immigrant looks like. Not even the Arizona Governor could answer that question, how about you?

Fact 80% of illegal immigrants are Hispanic.

You see, you're not fooling anyone by asking me where it says Hispanic-Americans in that bill.

Just to put the cherry on top read this article and maybe you'll understand it a little better as to exactly what this law is doing to Hispanic-Americans.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Featured Videos

I guess this is all OK, right? No infringing on Hispanic-American rights, just take them from their auto, detain them, and make thir family leave work so that they can go get birth certificates or whatever those NAZI Arizona police officers demanded just to release him back to his truck that's been impounded.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM

32,982 posts, read 30,252,700 times
Quote:

Please define "probable cause" regarding what exactly an illegal immigrant looks like. Not even the Arizona Governor could answer that question, how about you?

You see, you're not fooling anyone by asking me where it says Hispanic-Americans in that bill.

Just to put the cherry on top read this article and maybe you'll understand it a little better as to exactly what this law is doing to Hispanic-Americans.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Featured Videos

I guess this is all OK, right? No infringing on Hispanic-American rights, just take them from their auto, detain them, and make thir family leave work so that they can go get birth certificates or whatever those NAZI Arizona police officers demanded just to release him back to his truck that's been impounded.
So it doesn't say "Hispanic" anywhere in the bill. Ok, case closed.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I think the police would have probable cause to ask about citizenship if you had no license, and if you were in a car with no plates, and if you were evasive when asked your name and address (all things an officer would have every right to ask in a routine traffic stop). This tells them your affairs are not in proper order and they have a right to find out why.

Police have radios and computers in their car. Give them a name and address and they can find out if you have a license as well as other information. If you do, the law says they have to presume that your status is legal.

The story in this link isn't true. The law says that his license would suffice.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM

5,362 posts, read 7,088,111 times
Quote:
What ever happened to being an American first? If people wish to come here (regardless of what color they are or where they are from) and enjoy the rights and liberties of being an American, why is it that we have to constantly hear about someone being a Hispanic-American and having "their" rights infringed on? If you are an American as you state you are, be an American (which is what the rest of the world likes to call citizens of the United States). Part of the reason people get frustrated with people like you who complain about your "rights" being infringed up is because based on your actions and statements, you don't wish to fully assimilate. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage, but as a citizen of the U.S., you should show some loyalty to your U.S. heritage as well.

Anybody else who wishes to not go through the proper channels to become a citizen shouldn't come here. The law of the land here states that it is a crime to enter this country illegally. As legal U.S. citizens, you, me, and the rest of the country should accept the processes and procedures needed to ensure the safety and well-being for all legal citizens here.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The Police are to stop anyone, anyone the two-word phrase any one means ďany single member of a group of persons. That means if you are a person including me and you.

I personally think people are more worried they "look" like one as in, "How dare they think I look like a peasant".
There's a city in Arizona that claims they'll be asking every single person for proof of citizenship. If this is the case, then I see little room for racial profiling .

But this is not what SB1070 requires, it says upon 'reasonable suspicion' in black and white and civil rights lawyers along with I have a problem with that becuase it legally allows law enforcement to racially profile everyday drivers on the streets who've done nothing wrong into doing something wrong, driving while Hispanic.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
There's a city in Arizona that claims they'll be asking every single person for proof of citizenship. If this is the case, then I see little room for racial profiling .

But this is not what SB1070 requires, it says upon 'reasonable suspicion' in black and white and civil rights lawyers along with I have a problem with that becuase it legally allows law enforcement to racially profile everyday drivers on the streets who've done nothing wrong into doing something wrong, driving while Hispanic.
The law explicitly says race can't be the source of the suspicion and that they have to be stopped for something else first. The wording of the law directly contradicts your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration