U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
Where do come up with this stuff? They have "zero use" for their kids?
Isn't that pretty obvious if the parents would simply abandon their children in the USA upon being deported? That's exactly what this thread is about, those parents who refuse to bring their children home with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:48 PM

313 posts, read 295,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Isn't that pretty obvious if the parents would simply abandon their children in the USA upon being deported? That's exactly what this thread is about, those parents who refuse to bring their children home with them.
Can't you be truthful and straight on, or are you only able to communicate in that smug, cynical, accusatory tone?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Can't you be truthful and straight on, or are you only able to communicate in that smug, cynical, accusatory tone?
Sorry but I have ZERO admiration and sympathy for parents who when being deported will not want to take their children with them but abandon them to strangers or whatever instead.

To me those children are better off without those parents.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:13 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,363,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Of course the parent should decide whether or not to take their kid with them, but my post was in response to removing the "anchor baby allowance" from the Constitution. Kids born here should have citizenship.
Only if the parents are legal citizens.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,619,244 times
[quote=skchi;13954556]IMO, this isn't a clear cut issue. I don't think anyone likes the use of the "anchor baby" method of immigration (except for the people that take advantage of it, of course). But, once they're born, they are US citizens, just like the rest of us. When you send their parents back to their country, in most cases, you're also sending a US citizen out of the country. That doesn't seem right - basically forcing a US citizen out of the country because they're a minor.[/quote] No One's putting a gun to the parents head, as a result of their poor decision making that is the end results. as I have been told many times this world isn't perfect. Can't have you cake and eat it too so to speak.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:50 PM

[quote=Fighter 1;13969025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
IMO, this isn't a clear cut issue. I don't think anyone likes the use of the "anchor baby" method of immigration (except for the people that take advantage of it, of course). But, once they're born, they are US citizens, just like the rest of us. When you send their parents back to their country, in most cases, you're also sending a US citizen out of the country. That doesn't seem right - basically forcing a US citizen out of the country because they're a minor.[/quote] No One's putting a gun to the parents head, as a result of their poor decision making that is the end results. as I have been told many times this world isn't perfect. Can't have you cake and eat it too so to speak.
It's fine with me. I think the babies and young children need to be with their parents. I can't see taking their children away from the parents, let them take them back.

Plenty of US citizens live out of the USA for short or long periods of time. I have myself. It's certainly not the end of the world for one of the dual citizens to spend time in the other country.

We can't be culturally arrogant as Americans and believe that it's horrendous for children to grow up in other countries, especially the countries of their parents.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Also - what about military families stationed in other countries? For example US citizen children whose parents are stationed in Germany - no one is crying over those children being out of the country. I've known people who spent a number of years as children in Germany because their fathers were stationed there.

Obama himself spent many of his boyhood years in other countries -- assuming he's a US citizen, was that really so awful?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 AM

412 posts, read 813,090 times
Quote:
I'm not aware of even anecdotal evidence that parents are just abandoning their children if they're being deported. That's not what this thread is about - the OP thinks that liberals think that the government should take responsibility for these kids. The OP didn't state that children were just being abandoned.

The issue is that these children can't live on their own. Ideally, they would live with their parents. If their parents are deported, the parents face the choice of taking their child back to their country or leaving their child with other family members that are legally in the US.

Neither option is exactly desirable. They obviously don't want to break up their family and leave their child behind, but, like any parent, they want a good life for their child. That's why they came here in the first place - for a better life for them and their children.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
No One's putting a gun to the parents head, as a result of their poor decision making that is the end results. as I have been told many times this world isn't perfect. Can't have you cake and eat it too so to speak.
It's not really about the parent - it's about the child who IS a US citizen and has every right to the benefits that a US citizen enjoys.

The parents undoubtedly left a pretty bad situation to come here illegally. Do we really want to send US citizens to receive a substandard education in a poor country? Isn't it better for the US if the child receives the public education he or she is entitled to in the US?

Last edited by skchi; 04-30-2010 at 01:05 AM..

Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:

It's fine with me. I think the babies and young children need to be with their parents. I can't see taking their children away from the parents, let them take them back.

Plenty of US citizens live out of the USA for short or long periods of time. I have myself. It's certainly not the end of the world for one of the dual citizens to spend time in the other country.

We can't be culturally arrogant as Americans and believe that it's horrendous for children to grow up in other countries, especially the countries of their parents.
I think you're missing the point. This isn't about cultural arrogance. It's not about living outside of the US. Many illegal immigrants come here to escape rampant crime, bad living conditions, and a lack of education and economic opportunities. When the kids go back with their deported parents, that's where they get to grow up. That's the problem.

The kids are US citizens. They have the right to be here. They have the right to be educated here and to have all the opportunities that other American kids have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or