U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Reputation: 47449

Advertisements

i got the link on this----- 57% are from mexico but 24% are from "other latin countries" and coming in from mexico so total 81% coming in from mexico inc 24% citizens of bordering countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal..._United_States
the OP appears to imply that mexico is merely one player in the illegal immigration problem, not so, the fact that 24% of those crossing reside in mexico but are not citizens is a mute point. illegal immigration is 81% a mexican issue.
nice try but no cigar.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-29-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Reputation: 11768
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its a lot of visa overstays. lots of students.
and i would be more worried about those guys taking my job. these lowly workers are no competition for me. those with masters and post grad... whooooaaaa there.
As well you, and, probably all of us, should be:

" In 14 of the 25 largest metropolitan areas, including Boston, New York and San Francisco, more immigrants are employed in white-collar occupations than in lower-wage work like construction, manufacturing or cleaning."

Work Force Fueled by Highly Skilled Immigrants - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Reputation: 9486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
As well you, and, probably all of us, should be:

" In 14 of the 25 largest metropolitan areas, including Boston, New York and San Francisco, more immigrants are employed in white-collar occupations than in lower-wage work like construction, manufacturing or cleaning."

Work Force Fueled by Highly Skilled Immigrants - NYTimes.com
Immigrant with a visa ain't the issue. It's illegal alien with no visa, no identification, and meager or no skills THAT'S who we're talking about here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Reputation: 11768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i got the link on this----- 57% are from mexico but 24% are from "other latin countries" and coming in from mexico so total 81% coming in from mexico inc 24% citizens of bordering countries.
Illegal immigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the OP appears to imply that mexico is merely one player in the illegal immigration problem, not so, the fact that 24% of those crossing reside in mexico but are not citizens is a mute point. illegal immigration is 81% a mexican issue.
nice try but no cigar.
Your link says that 24% are from other Latin American countries. It does not, however, say, that those people resided in Mexico. They may have passed through Mexico, but, that does not make them residents. That is like saying that since I passed through Texas on my way to NM from NJ that I am in reality a resident of Texas.

The OP is 100% correct - Mexico is merely one player. A large player, yes, but, only one player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:50 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,058,667 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The OP is 100% correct - Mexico is merely one player. A large player, yes, but, only one player.
The OP is only partially correct. The vast majority of posts I read contain the words hispanic or latino, not Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Reputation: 11768
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Immigrant with a visa ain't the issue. It's illegal alien with no visa, no identification, and meager or no skills THAT'S who we're talking about here.
That may be who you are talking about. However, I frankly don't see much difference. They are all taking jobs from Americans, aren't they. And the ones with Visas are taking the really good jobs.

And, though you may have missed my earlier post - Indians were the fastest growing illegal population in this country in the last nine years. Skilled or no, they are still illegal. Shouldn't the outrage be the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Reputation: 9486
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
That may be who you are talking about. However, I frankly don't see much difference. They are all taking jobs from Americans, aren't they. And the ones with Visas are taking the really good jobs.

And, though you may have missed my earlier post - Indians were the fastest growing illegal population in this country in the last nine years. Skilled or no, they are still illegal. Shouldn't the outrage be the same?
The ones with the visas are doing the jobs Americans aren't qualified to do.

They're here legally and permitted to work in the USA. That's enough for me.

They could be from Mexico, Pakistan, India, Ireland or Moldova if they're here Illegally then they should be deported. My outrage is the same for all Illegals from any background or nation.

If you're here legally and you have a Visa and you're doing the job because there wasn't a qualified American to do the job, I don't have a problem with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Reputation: 11768
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The OP is only partially correct. The vast majority of posts I read contain the words hispanic or latino, not Mexican.
Sorry, the title of the thread is 'Mexicans 50%...'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Home, Home on the Front Range
21,026 posts, read 15,229,299 times
Reputation: 11768
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The ones with the visas are doing the jobs Americans aren't qualified to do.
Americans aren't qualified for these jobs? Really?

"Bosnians run the gamut, from truckers and bakery workers to lawyers and engineers. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They're here legally and permitted to work in the USA. That's enough for me.
So you don't care about the Indians and other non-hispanics who are here illegally. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,058,667 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sorry, the title of the thread is 'Mexicans 50%...'
Sorry, the body of the OP states, "But I never seem to read about the other 50%..."

Maybe he/she is selectively reading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top