U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,185,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So you don't care about the Indians and other non-hispanics who are here illegally. Got it.
No understand exactly what I just typed.

IF THEY ARE HERE LEGALLY, LEGALLY, LEGALLY, WITH A VISA, VISA, VISA, ON THEIR PASSPORT, PASSPORT, PASSPORT.

I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,664,130 times
Quote:
Your link says that 24% are from other Latin American countries. It does not, however, say, that those people resided in Mexico. They may have passed through Mexico, but, that does not make them residents. That is like saying that since I passed through Texas on my way to NM from NJ that I am in reality a resident of Texas.

The OP is 100% correct - Mexico is merely one player. A large player, yes, but, only one player.
no sir, not passing thru, it takes months of preparation to cross-- they are not legal residents of mexico --they are residing in mexico.
the OP is not correct nor your response.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM

21,185 posts, read 15,355,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Sorry, the body of the OP states, "But I never seem to read about the other 50%..."

Maybe he/she is selectively reading?
Selectively reading what?
It is perfectly clear to me - the OP is referring to the other ~50% of illegal immigrants who are not Mexican.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:04 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
It is perfectly clear to me
Obviously not.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,651,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But I never seem to read about the other 50%, among which are about 1.5 million Asians.
I'd suspect Mexicans are over 50% of the total...but that's only my guess. I do hear you, though....and like you, I don't hear much about these 'others', either.

I have a long familiarity with Mexican illegals back 35-40 years ago, and see a lot of differences between then and now.

Perhaps neither you, nor I, hear much about these 'non-Mexican' illegals because they stay 'under the radar'. No loud street demonstrations....no 'national flags' flown over the US flag...no allegations that these non-Mexicans have some sort of moral or hereditary right to be here....no insistence that the US government 'cater' to their various languages...and no incidents of US public officials loudly proclaiming 'solidarity' with these non-Mexican illegals ("We Clean Your TOILETS !!") . No examples of foreign government officials 'scolding' the US for mistreating (?) their citizens who may be living illegally in the US. No examples of an entire state government declaring as 'special' the cultural values of any of their societies..(like California's recent decision to honor 'Cinco de Mayo WEEK). In many ways, Mexico is fairly unique as a 'supplier' of illegals.

Only Mexican illegals seem to have these things going for them. Perhaps it's this fact, in ADDITION to their overwhelming numbers among illegals, that 'singles them out' for special attention.

Then again, maybe Americans just naturally 'hate' Mexicans (?)...I just don't know. But I do agree with you...Mexican illegals do get a higher degree of attention than others. Nobody seems too upset about the Swedish illegals among us; I will agree with that.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Obviously not.
So, please do explain what the OP meant then.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no sir, not passing thru, it takes months of preparation to cross-- they are not legal residents of mexico --they are residing in mexico.
the OP is not correct nor your response.
So they are not Mexicans. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:22 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,185,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I'd suspect Mexicans are over 50% of the total...but that's only my guess. I do hear you, though....and like you, I don't hear much about these 'others', either.

I have a long familiarity with Mexican illegals back 35-40 years ago, and see a lot of differences between then and now.

Perhaps neither you, nor I, hear much about these 'non-Mexican' illegals because they stay 'under the radar'. No loud street demonstrations....no 'national flags' flown over the US flag...no allegations that these non-Mexicans have some sort of moral or hereditary right to be here....no insistence that the US government 'cater' to their various languages...and no incidents of US public officials loudly proclaiming 'solidarity' with these non-Mexican illegals ("We Clean Your TOILETS !!") . No examples of foreign government officials 'scolding' the US for mistreating (?) their citizens who may be living illegally in the US. No examples of an entire state government declaring as 'special' the cultural values of any of their societies..(like California's recent decision to honor 'Cinco de Mayo WEEK). In many ways, Mexico is fairly unique as a 'supplier' of illegals.

Only Mexican illegals seem to have these things going for them. Perhaps it's this fact, in ADDITION to their overwhelming numbers among illegals, that 'singles them out' for special attention.

Then again, maybe Americans just naturally 'hate' Mexicans (?)...I just don't know. But I do agree with you...Mexican illegals do get a higher degree of attention than others. Nobody seems too upset about the Swedish illegals among us; I will agree with that.
Those Canadian illegals can blend right in with no problem because they speak our language as long as they don't have to pronounce certain words which give them away.

I don't think there's any more disdain for a Mexican illegal than any other group of illegals. Have you also noticed that our country has been catering to the native Spanish speaker more and more every year.

If I had to listen to Press 1 for English, 2 for Swedish I would still be cheesed off if they were here illegally nonetheless. Instead of a million taco stands we'd have those lutefisk joints.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:25 PM

757 posts, read 1,910,218 times
LOL.... my ex was a border patrol officer. Every once in a while, theyd find a truckload of illegals or a group of illegals in the bushes (This is south Texas) that would be Brazilians, Colombians, Guatemalans, El Salvadorans... sometimes Asians, and about 10 years ago, Eastern Europeans showed up regularly. They called them OTMs (Other-Than-Mexicans) and it was harder to deport them, as they couldn't just ship them back to Mexico.

In one incident, a group of these illegals were taken to Laredo, taken to court, and were told to show up back at court at a certain time and date and then released into the city. LMAO!... I didn't follow up and see if any returned, but I doubt any did.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:26 PM

757 posts, read 1,910,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Instead of a million taco stands we'd have those lutefisk joints.
Quite possibly the most vile dish alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or