U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 PM
 
Location: in my imagination
11,019 posts, read 18,106,999 times
Reputation: 7663

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I dont care who the business person hires...illlegal, legal, male, female, gay, straight, black, blue, yellow, red, orange, white...as long as they are CONTRIBUTING TO THE SYSTEM

You should care. Even if illegals were contributing to the system their willingness to accept lower wages depresses wages for the American poor and middle class.

When a construction worker who use to get $17 a hour is replaced by a "guest worker" who accepts $7 a hour, the construction worker must accept $7 a hour to compete. You will have a few rich who profit at the expense of the nation with cheap labor and the rest of America depressed in wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 8,764,303 times
Reputation: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You should care. Even if illegals were contributing to the system their willingness to accept lower wages depresses wages for the American poor and middle class.

When a construction worker who use to get $17 a hour is replaced by a "guest worker" who accepts $7 a hour, the construction worker must accept $7 a hour to compete. You will have a few rich who profit at the expense of the nation with cheap labor and the rest of America depressed in wages.

I was listening to a radio show the other day on KTPK Seattle, and they had a construction guy on who was from the Atlanta area, and he was saying that in most construction fields, if you can even find a job, it pays less then equivalent workers were making 20 years ago.

This is mostly from the proliferation of illegals in to construction. On the flip side, end cost of finished houses and other projects havent fallen.

What has gone up is the money in contractors and construction firms pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Location: in my imagination
11,019 posts, read 18,106,999 times
Reputation: 7663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I was listening to a radio show the other day on KTPK Seattle, and they had a construction guy on who was from the Atlanta area, and he was saying that in most construction fields, if you can even find a job, it pays less then equivalent workers were making 20 years ago.

This is mostly from the proliferation of illegals in to construction. On the flip side, end cost of finished houses and other projects havent fallen.

What has gone up is the money in contractors and construction firms pockets.
Thankyou, and while some were wondering what the hell was going through my mind in this thread, this is what it was leading to.

I am all for a American being successful, I don't care how rich he is and I don't support many of the taxes in this country. However there is responsibilty beyond personal profit and taking care of your own needs.

I'd like to see America return to the ethics of personal profit and success with superior service, reliabilty and quality rather than selling out a fellow American to rise personally. Sometimes profit is not as important as thinking of the needs of others. Both can be accomplished.

This is neither Republican or Democrat or conservative or liberal to me, it is being a American. It is being ethical.

Those contractors and firms once became rich by competing with each other to gain contracts, now they hire cheap labor instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
How about we just go back to the industrial revolution. That way we can have 70 hour work weeks and triangle shirt waste style tragedies on a regular basis.
While we're at it, let's remove the laws on child labor - they will be inclined to work for even less than the illegals. They'll work for food:


YouTube - Beyond Their Years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It is his business. He started it, he runs it. He works for his family and his needs, not for the needs of others. He didn't start a business to support others, only himself. There is no right for government to "force him". As a American working to better himself shouldn't he have the right to have "big government" stay out of his affairs like the way of having government stay out of the affair of business profit with lower taxes? Doesn't he deserve his profit?

All he owes his employees is pay for a job done. It is not his worry if the wage is a "living wage" or not. If a employee isn't satisfied then they should go work somewhere else right?

So given all that, shouldn't a business owner/ CEO be allowed to hire who he wants to profit his business the best way?
There is this little thing called taxes that we use as the backbone of the Country to render services to it's Citizens. There are also worker protections to make sure the environment they work in isn't dangerous. Now if your fictitious character wanted to start their own Country then fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
From what I have been seeing it is actually both conservatives and liberals who want it enforced. But also, it is both parties who have shrugged the issue, both because they see personal gain in keeping the problem unsolved.

I reason that companies that hire illegals and profit probably bribe politicians , and that the Democrats are attempting to construct a new voting base.

And while business do get audited, they are virtually slapped on the wrist...why? Who is stopping severe punishment being handed to business who hire?
Google

French gourmet illegal

there is a business getting seized by the govt for hiring illegals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,266,772 times
Reputation: 10915
They can and have...knowingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Reputation: 9198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I was listening to a radio show the other day on KTPK Seattle, and they had a construction guy on who was from the Atlanta area, and he was saying that in most construction fields, if you can even find a job, it pays less then equivalent workers were making 20 years ago.

This is mostly from the proliferation of illegals in to construction. On the flip side, end cost of finished houses and other projects havent fallen.

What has gone up is the money in contractors and construction firms pockets.

What has also gone up are the number of deadly construction accidents. In fact, last year, in Atlanta there was a massive collapse at a construction project that killed several Hispanic construction workers. In NYC an indefinite halt was placed on all major construction after the 13th fatal crane collapse. In one year. More collapses than all previous years combined.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
5,517 posts, read 8,764,303 times
Reputation: 2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What has also gone up are the number of deadly construction accidents. In fact, last year, in Atlanta there was a massive collapse at a construction project that killed several Hispanic construction workers. In NYC an indefinite halt was placed on all major construction after the 13th fatal crane collapse. In one year. More collapses than all previous years combined.

H

Well there you have it. My guess is that a decent amount of illegal labor isnt nearly as skilled or aware as their American counterparts, and, I guess you dont really need to follow OSHA standards so much when your whole workforce is under the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Well there you have it. My guess is that a decent amount of illegal labor isnt nearly as skilled or aware as their American counterparts, and, I guess you dont really need to follow OSHA standards so much when your whole workforce is under the table.

This mess was massive here in SD. There are going to be some really outraged people down the road when it comes time to sell there houses and they have to be inspected.

I busted a neighbor using Illegals. We (the hood) called the City and they came out,yup, no permits. Down it came as it was not up to code. An entire new roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top