U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,902,706 times
Reputation: 595

Advertisements

WTF!?!?!! IF this title instead read, "What have blacks done to stem the tide of crime overwhelming the city of Chicago" or "What have Jews done to stem the financial meltdown"(this has probably costed the tax payer way more than all of illegal immigration for the last 10 yrs) this whole thread would be shut down due to racism, and anti-semitism.

Instead, because it's picking on a group of people no one likes... it's allowed to be posted. Sad but true hipocrisy. And for those who argue that the AZ law is not based out of latent racism... the proof is in this thread.

 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,902,706 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I wasn't aware that Hispanic Americans had any special duty to 'stem the tide' of illegals...perhaps I'm missing something here. I do know that many MANY Hispanics (among them quite a few of my relatives) are QUITE concerned about illegal immigration, and not at all hesitant in saying so, in no uncertain terms. (Terms which MIGHT almost be called 'racist' if anyone else used them).

But, to my knowledge, Hispanic Americans bear no particular personal duty to 'do something' about illegals...in fact, that would be against the law. Our government and elected officials are supposed to 'do something'..not private citizens.

Then again, perhaps you're on to something here. Perhaps White Americans should 'do something' about skinhead groups. Maybe black Americans should 'do something' about crime in the inner city. Do you think maybe Jewish Americans ought to 'do something' about the Wall Street 'crash'...or that Italian-Americans should 'do something' about la Cosa Nostra? Maybe Irish Americans could be convinced to 'do something' about excessive drinking...and Chinese-Americans could 'do something' about the flood of cheap merchandise sold by Wal Mart.

I don't know...it's worth thinking about. Maybe you're on to something here, after all...
Stole the words right out of my mouth. LOL
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,318,162 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
WTF!?!?!! IF this title instead read, "What have blacks done to stem the tide of crime overwhelming the city of Chicago" or "What have Jews done to stem the financial meltdown"(this has probably costed the tax payer way more than all of illegal immigration for the last 10 yrs) this whole thread would be shut down due to racism, and anti-semitism.

Instead, because it's picking on a group of people no one likes... it's allowed to be posted. Sad but true hipocrisy. And for those who argue that the AZ law is not based out of latent racism... the proof is in this thread.
"Picking on a group no one likes" is profoundly racist. Your prejudice is not appreciated. I don't like illegal aliens. If you want to read something racial into that, that's your problem, not mine. That illegal aliens are mostly Hispanic is immaterial to me and that's why I stated that at the beginning of the OP. My disdain for illegal aliens does not extend to all Hispanics just because they form the largest group of illegal aliens.

I understand the danger in applying my argument to other situations, other races, etc. But it just seems to me that the Hispanic community of legal citizens actually seems to be encouraging the crime of illegal immigration by not helping out at all. Would any of them send their brother or mother back across the border because they broke the law? I doubt it. If 10 million others can get away with it, why should they care?

Make it a race issue all you want. It's a criminal issue to me, nothing more.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 04:26 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,902,706 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
"Picking on a group no one likes" is profoundly racist. Your prejudice is not appreciated. I don't like illegal aliens. If you want to read something racial into that, that's your problem, not mine. That illegal aliens are mostly Hispanic is immaterial to me and that's why I stated that at the beginning of the OP. My disdain for illegal aliens does not extend to all Hispanics just because they form the largest group of illegal aliens.

I understand the danger in applying my argument to other situations, other races, etc. But it just seems to me that the Hispanic community of legal citizens actually seems to be encouraging the crime of illegal immigration by not helping out at all. Would any of them send their brother or mother back across the border because they broke the law? I doubt it. If 10 million others can get away with it, why should they care?

Make it a race issue all you want. It's a criminal issue to me, nothing more.

No... blaming or putting the responsibility of a problem on one ethnic group, like you've so clearly done, is racist. If you're just going to talk about illegal immigration and the societal costs... I wouldn't really make it a race issue. But you're asking the Hispanic community to do something... as if it were our responsibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
"
I understand the danger in applying my argument to other situations, other races, etc. But it just seems to me that the Hispanic community of legal citizens actually seems to be encouraging the crime of illegal immigration by not helping out at all. Would any of them send their brother or mother back across the border because they broke the law? I doubt it.
Really? WOw... so if a black person helps his/her criminal brother or father escape bail... are you going to say that they're responsible for crime and are doing no service to blacks? Will you blame them for the ills of blacks? If Bernie Madoff's family kept it a secret, are they responsible for perpetuating a Jewish stereotype?

Being anti-illegal immigrant isn't racist, I get that. (I know there will be post after post telling me that theyre not racist, I get it, no need) But blaming the Hispanic community for not helping out, or making the problem worse... yeah...sorry... that's kind of racist. I don't know how you can explain yourself out of that one.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
WTF!?!?!! IF this title instead read, "What have blacks done to stem the tide of crime overwhelming the city of Chicago" or "What have Jews done to stem the financial meltdown"(this has probably costed the tax payer way more than all of illegal immigration for the last 10 yrs) this whole thread would be shut down due to racism, and anti-semitism.

Instead, because it's picking on a group of people no one likes... it's allowed to be posted. Sad but true hipocrisy. And for those who argue that the AZ law is not based out of latent racism... the proof is in this thread.
A group of people no one likes? Are you saying that no one in this country likes Hispanic Americans? You can't be serious. As for illegal aliens, what's to like?
 
Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,902,706 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
A group of people no one likes? Are you saying that no one in this country likes Hispanic Americans? You can't be serious. As for illegal aliens, what's to like?
Ok Chicago... you ignored the rest of my post, and focused on a technicality. LOL...
 
Old 04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
According to the OP, it's the duty of Hispanic Americans to stop immigration. Anyone who is not Hispanic is free of responsibility.
Well -- you really can't claim there aren't some "hispanics" who are promoting illegal entry and breaking of the immigration and labor and wage laws.

Why if illegal immigration isn't the "duty" of hispanics, do we see mostly only hispanics out protesting for the rights of their so-called race to break the laws of this country? And why aren't those same "hispanic" protestors out marching around when it's Haitians rounded up in Miami? (Maybe a little ethnic purity in Miami????)
 
Old 04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,172 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- you really can't claim there aren't some "hispanics" who are promoting illegal entry and breaking of the immigration and labor and wage laws.

Why if illegal immigration isn't the "duty" of hispanics, do we see mostly only hispanics out protesting for the rights of their so-called race to break the laws of this country? And why aren't those same "hispanic" protestors out marching around when it's Haitians rounded up in Miami? (Maybe a little ethnic purity in Miami????)
Oh, if only you had the same guts to call out the "big business" that promote illegal entry and breaking of the immigration and labor and wage laws.

Easier to blame the foreigner.

Dance, marionettes, dance!
 
Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
But the truth is, even in a 90% hispanic city like El Paso, the polls are showing good to very strong support for the Arizona law.

It's a myth, mostly put out by the open borders lobby that every hispanic voter is now going to vote democrat because every hispanic voter wants uncontrolled borders, unlimited and illegal immigration.

Look at this poll in a mostly hispanic city and highly immigrant hispanic too.

KVIA.com | El Paso, Texas - Las Cruces, New Mexico Breaking News, Weather and Sports

Would you support a law in Texas that required immigrants to always carry documents proving their legal status?
Choice Votes Percentage of 1731 Votes
Yes 1184 68%
No 547 32%
 
Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Another:

KTSM News Channel 9 | El Paso · Las Cruces · Juarez

Poll
Do you support Arizona's new immigration law?
Yes 55%
No 42%
Undecided 3%

Of course many politicians are going to do some ethnic pandering over this issue, make it a "race" issue (as though all illegals are one race) and try to catch as many votes as they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top