U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 07:33 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Oh, if only you had the same guts to call out the "big business" that promote illegal entry and breaking of the immigration and labor and wage laws.

Easier to blame the foreigner.

Dance, marionettes, dance!
Are you kidding me? We have been screaming about the employers for years now. Why do you think we want e-verify mandated? It is to stop them from hiring illegal aliens. Try to keep up, ok?

Why is it that the pro-illegals only want to blame the employer but not the illegal employee? Pot, kettle, black.

 
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,235 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Another:

KTSM News Channel 9 | El Paso · Las Cruces · Juarez

Poll
Do you support Arizona's new immigration law?
Yes 55%
No 42%
Undecided 3%

Of course many politicians are going to do some ethnic pandering over this issue, make it a "race" issue (as though all illegals are one race) and try to catch as many votes as they can.

I say youre willing to blame the foreigner instead of the CEOs, and you give me a mouthful of stats about racial makeups of cities and racial political leanings. Charming.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Rolla, Phelps County, Ozarks, Missouri
1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Reputation: 1252
I think the best solution to the illegal immigrant problem would be to annex Mexico, turn it into about half a dozen states and make all Mexicans citizens of the United States.
A progressive friend of mine said that was imperialistic and unaccetable.
I guess we'll have to go along with the progressive, or Democratic, solution, which is to open the borders by granting all the current illegal immigrants work visas and put them on the fast track to citizenship.
I think Reagan did something similar to solve the immediate problem.
How to solve the future problem of illegal immigration, progressively: Just open the borders and let Mexicans come and go as they please. Any other solution will be called racist. Progressives say Mexicans have the same rights as U.S. citizens.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
I say youre willing to blame the foreigner instead of the CEOs, and you give me a mouthful of stats about racial makeups of cities and racial political leanings. Charming.
The employers and the illegal "foreingers" are equally guilty.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 AM
 
317 posts, read 343,861 times
Reputation: 105
What ever happened to the minutemen?
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:06 AM
 
313 posts, read 295,235 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The employers and the illegal "foreingers" are equally guilty.
Funny, cuz I see most of the anger directed at the foreigners. MOST of the anger directed at the foreigners.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:21 AM
 
412 posts, read 813,307 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I currently live in Arizona. The fact is that the vast majority of illegal aliens in the US are of Hispanic descent. However, they are (probably?) outnumbered by the population of Hispanic Americans who are legal residents.

My question is, if illegal aliens are generally assumed to be Hispanic, why wouldn't legal Hispanic American citizens do something to stem the tide? Why wouldn't they stand as patriots of the country they moved to and insist that others from their part of the world obey the laws of the country they profess to love? I haven't heard of any Hispanic group that's been actively working to keep people from coming here illegally. Not one. In fact, there seems to be many groups who promote an invasion by force.

You'd think that if your Hispanic reputation was being sullied by millions of desperate criminals--because that's what they are--you'd do something to address it. You'd tell Mexican and Central American citizens to come to America legally instead of making everyone else look bad by crossing in the dead of night and breaking the law. You'd do something to make it easier for them to come here legally and prove you're really the American citizens you claim to be. You'd put that Mexican flag in a drawer where it belongs.

In my opinion, there's absolutely no reason for non-Hispanic Americans to be blamed for this current immigration situation that has resulted in Arizona's passage of a strict immigration law. It appears that Hispanic Americans with legal citizenship have placed their race and their former nationality above their current country. Their rage is misplaced and their cry of racial profiling is not justified. That you might be asked for your citizenship papers in Arizona is your own fault. Your refusal to see the damage caused to both your ethnicity and country by the millions of people who have committed crimes to get here is a sin of omission that you cannot dismiss with a cry of racism.
As many have already said, I don't think Hispanics have some special responsibility to "do something" about illegal immigration. But, how can you not be aware of groups of Hispanics that are quite vocal against illegal immigration? Where do you get the news from?
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
708 posts, read 2,362,526 times
Reputation: 518
I'm okay with compromising my reputation as a Hispanic American for the same reason I put up with the ridiculous amounts of taxes I have to pay relative to the services I receive: I live in a world of haves and have-nots, and my being in the former position of middle-class American comfort is due to a lot of unfair luck. I'm speaking for only myself.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
WTF!?!?!! IF this title instead read, "What have blacks done to stem the tide of crime overwhelming the city of Chicago" or "What have Jews done to stem the financial meltdown"(this has probably costed the tax payer way more than all of illegal immigration for the last 10 yrs) this whole thread would be shut down due to racism, and anti-semitism.

Instead, because it's picking on a group of people no one likes... it's allowed to be posted. Sad but true hipocrisy. And for those who argue that the AZ law is not based out of latent racism... the proof is in this thread.
Proof concerning a law is based on someone's opinion in a thread? Did you think that statement through?
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,062,712 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Oh, if only you had the same guts to call out the "big business" that promote illegal entry and breaking of the immigration and labor and wage laws.
Welcome to Arizona's employer sanctions law. AZ Employer Sanctions Law Takes Effect

Guess what happened when that law took effect? C'mon. You should know. People said it was racist. Were you one of them?

Quote:
Easier to blame the foreigner.
It's just as easy for me to blame both, but especially the federal government. What's really easy is screaming "racist."

Quote:
Dance, marionettes, dance!
Indeed. Alfredo Gutierrez has your marching orders.

“We call things racism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to racism, not because it is racism, but because it works.”

- Alfredo Gutierrez

Try this one on for size:

"We call things communism just to get attention. We reduce complicated problems to communism, not because it is communism, but because it works."

I'll bet you never knew you had so much in common with extreme rightwingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top