U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 02:58 PM
 
4,406 posts, read 5,328,791 times
Reputation: 2892

Advertisements

I currently live in Arizona. The fact is that the vast majority of illegal aliens in the US are of Hispanic descent. However, they are (probably?) outnumbered by the population of Hispanic Americans who are legal residents.

My question is, if illegal aliens are generally assumed to be Hispanic, why wouldn't legal Hispanic American citizens do something to stem the tide? Why wouldn't they stand as patriots of the country they moved to and insist that others from their part of the world obey the laws of the country they profess to love? I haven't heard of any Hispanic group that's been actively working to keep people from coming here illegally. Not one. In fact, there seems to be many groups who promote an invasion by force.

You'd think that if your Hispanic reputation was being sullied by millions of desperate criminals--because that's what they are--you'd do something to address it. You'd tell Mexican and Central American citizens to come to America legally instead of making everyone else look bad by crossing in the dead of night and breaking the law. You'd do something to make it easier for them to come here legally and prove you're really the American citizens you claim to be. You'd put that Mexican flag in a drawer where it belongs.

In my opinion, there's absolutely no reason for non-Hispanic Americans to be blamed for this current immigration situation that has resulted in Arizona's passage of a strict immigration law. It appears that Hispanic Americans with legal citizenship have placed their race and their former nationality above their current country. Their rage is misplaced and their cry of racial profiling is not justified. That you might be asked for your citizenship papers in Arizona is your own fault. Your refusal to see the damage caused to both your ethnicity and country by the millions of people who have committed crimes to get here is a sin of omission that you cannot dismiss with a cry of racism.

 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,080,182 times
Reputation: 2049
You Don't Speak for Me (http://dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:23 PM
 
1,038 posts, read 1,033,830 times
Reputation: 265
Default KKK would be proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
In my opinion, there's absolutely no reason for non-Hispanic Americans to be blamed for this current immigration situation that has resulted in Arizona's passage of a strict immigration law. It appears that Hispanic Americans with legal citizenship have placed their race and their former nationality above their current country . Their rage is misplaced and their cry of racial profiling is not justified. That you might be asked for your citizenship papers in Arizona is your own fault. Your refusal to see the damage caused to both your ethnicity and country by the millions of people who have committed crimes to get here is a sin of omission that you cannot dismiss with a cry of racism.
And people wonder why the Tea Party is labeled racist, proof # 458.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You Don't Speak for Me (http://dontspeakforme.org/ - broken link)
Its a shame more groups don't stand up and denounce the illegals and their facillitators.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,638,049 times
Reputation: 2983
I wasn't aware that Hispanic Americans had any special duty to 'stem the tide' of illegals...perhaps I'm missing something here. I do know that many MANY Hispanics (among them quite a few of my relatives) are QUITE concerned about illegal immigration, and not at all hesitant in saying so, in no uncertain terms. (Terms which MIGHT almost be called 'racist' if anyone else used them).

But, to my knowledge, Hispanic Americans bear no particular personal duty to 'do something' about illegals...in fact, that would be against the law. Our government and elected officials are supposed to 'do something'..not private citizens.

Then again, perhaps you're on to something here. Perhaps White Americans should 'do something' about skinhead groups. Maybe black Americans should 'do something' about crime in the inner city. Do you think maybe Jewish Americans ought to 'do something' about the Wall Street 'crash'...or that Italian-Americans should 'do something' about la Cosa Nostra? Maybe Irish Americans could be convinced to 'do something' about excessive drinking...and Chinese-Americans could 'do something' about the flood of cheap merchandise sold by Wal Mart.

I don't know...it's worth thinking about. Maybe you're on to something here, after all...
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,986,505 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
...

You'd think that if your Hispanic reputation was being sullied by millions of desperate criminals--because that's what they are--you'd do something to address it. You'd tell Mexican and Central American citizens to come to America legally instead of making everyone else look bad by crossing in the dead of night and breaking the law. You'd do something to make it easier for them to come here legally and prove you're really the American citizens you claim to be. You'd put that Mexican flag in a drawer where it belongs.

...
Hispanic reputation?
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM
 
1,038 posts, read 1,033,830 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I wasn't aware that Hispanic Americans had any special duty to 'stem the tide' of illegals...perhaps I'm missing something here. I do know that many MANY Hispanics (among them quite a few of my relatives) are QUITE concerned about illegal immigration, and not at all hesitant in saying so, in no uncertain terms. (Terms which MIGHT almost be called 'racist' if anyone else used them).

But, to my knowledge, Hispanic Americans bear no particular personal duty to 'do something' about illegals...in fact, that would be against the law. Our government and elected officials are supposed to 'do something'..not private citizens.
According to the OP, it's the duty of Hispanic Americans to stop immigration. Anyone who is not Hispanic is free of responsibility.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 16,986,505 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I wasn't aware that Hispanic Americans had any special duty to 'stem the tide' of illegals...perhaps I'm missing something here. I do know that many MANY Hispanics (among them quite a few of my relatives) are QUITE concerned about illegal immigration, and not at all hesitant in saying so, in no uncertain terms. (Terms which MIGHT almost be called 'racist' if anyone else used them).

But, to my knowledge, Hispanic Americans bear no particular personal duty to 'do something' about illegals...in fact, that would be against the law. Our government and elected officials are supposed to 'do something'..not private citizens.
Agreed.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
According to the OP, it's the duty of Hispanic Americans to stop immigration. Anyone who is not Hispanic is free of responsibility.
No that is not what the OP said or was eluding to.
What the OP was getting at is that the Hispanic community is not very vocal about the illegal problem and as a community fairly silent.
Add to this you don't hear about the hispanic community pressuring their own to stop facilitating the illegals.
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Status: "Tioli: Troll exterminator" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Arizona
12,779 posts, read 7,392,179 times
Reputation: 6753
I do know that there is a large percentage of American Border Patrol agents who are of Hispanic decent. Doesn't that count for anything? Also, Phoenix police are staffed with a larger proportion of hispanic officers than the general population would dictate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top