U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:45 PM

757 posts, read 1,901,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
What you're attempting to do is nothing more than a smokescreen. It's an act of misdirection. You get your average American workers all riled up that their jobs are being 'stolen' by these illegal immigrants.

Supposedly these illegal immigrants are sucking the profits from our economy, they must be getting very, very rich.

Of course this is absurd.

There are profits, but the big profits are not going to illegal immigrants okay? And they're also not going to the middle class. In actuality a disproportionate amount of the nation's wealth is being systematically funneled towards the pockets of the richest of the rich.

Even conservative economists agree on this.

But you know, these self-appointed watchdogs of Americanism, they've actually been very successful in whipping up popular animosity towards these so-called 'illegal aliens'. If you think about it, what they've been able to achieve is actually quite remarkable - they've basically taken a group of people from tremendously impoverished places, living extremely difficult lives, and they've successfully branded them as a bunch of criminal opportunists hell-bent at exploiting America's generosity.

Which is, of course, totally ironic since First World exploitation of the Third World has historically been the driving force behind creating that poverty they're trying to escape in the first place.

The lack of awareness or compassion is extraordinary.
Yeah, but the theme throughout this whole forum is pretty myopic. It's the whole South Park episode about immigrants from the future, "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" It's really just a watering hole for the biggoted... the frustrated... it's nothing more.

I lived in Nebraska for a while. It was a well known fact that some recruiters of the town's meat packing plant (lived in Grand Island) would go down to Zacatecas and get some workers to come up and work for them. The company knew that this would create a situation in which more and more illegals would go work for them. the townspeople all knew this. Still, when illegals started causing problems... when immigrant children started stressing the local school system... and when the midwestern town became 15% mexican... it was much easier to blame the illegal and not the company.

I sure would like to see all these haters in the forum in that same situation: You're living a poor life in central Mexico... some gringo comes along and says "hey, make ur way into the U.S. and count on a job making 10 times what you're making here." ... I'm sure all of you would say, "No, I don't want to risk it. I don't want to infringe on U.S. sovereignty and I shall remain in my squalor"

I digress... but yeah. Blacks shouldn't feel threatened by Mexicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

313 posts, read 295,088 times
Quote:
What you're attempting to do is nothing more than a smokescreen. It's an act of misdirection. You get your average American workers all riled up that their jobs are being 'stolen' by these illegal immigrants.

Supposedly these illegal immigrants are sucking the profits from our economy, they must be getting very, very rich.

There are profits, but the big profits are not going to illegal immigrants okay? And they're also not going to the middle class. In actuality a disproportionate amount of the nation's wealth is being systematically funneled towards the pockets of the richest of the rich.

But you know, these self-appointed watchdogs of Americanism, they've actually been very successful in whipping up popular animosity towards these so-called 'illegal aliens'. If you think about it, what they've been able to achieve is actually quite remarkable - they've basically taken a group of people from tremendously impoverished places, living extremely difficult lives, and they've successfully branded them as a bunch of criminal opportunists hell-bent at exploiting America's generosity.

Which is, of course, totally ironic since First World exploitation of the Third World has historically been the driving force behind creating that poverty they're trying to escape in the first place.

I don't understand why this logic is so. damn. hard. for so many of them to comprehend!

One of the best quotes I've read on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As both of you stated.

I swear; the battle against illegal immigration is reminding me more and more of the Civil Rights Movement of another era.

Geraldo Rivera=Bull Connor
Lou Dobbs=Martin Luther King, Jr.

Connect the dots.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:

It isn't hard to be opposed to anything with the word "illegal" in front of it that is if you are a law abding person. I already know of American construction workers that were been replaced by illegal aliens years ago. Where is your compassion for them?

Our lack of compassion? Don't me me laugh. We take in more legal immigrants than any other country in the world and Latinos get the second highest quotas already. We can't take in the entire world's poor and destitute. Get used to it.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Yeah, but the theme throughout this whole forum is pretty myopic. It's the whole South Park episode about immigrants from the future, "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" It's really just a watering hole for the biggoted... the frustrated... it's nothing more.

I lived in Nebraska for a while. It was a well known fact that some recruiters of the town's meat packing plant (lived in Grand Island) would go down to Zacatecas and get some workers to come up and work for them. The company knew that this would create a situation in which more and more illegals would go work for them. the townspeople all knew this. Still, when illegals started causing problems... when immigrant children started stressing the local school system... and when the midwestern town became 15% mexican... it was much easier to blame the illegal and not the company.

I sure would like to see all these haters in the forum in that same situation: You're living a poor life in central Mexico... some gringo comes along and says "hey, make ur way into the U.S. and count on a job making 10 times what you're making here." ... I'm sure all of you would say, "No, I don't want to risk it. I don't want to infringe on U.S. sovereignty and I shall remain in my squalor"

I digress... but yeah. Blacks shouldn't feel threatened by Mexicans.
If you have any morals you will turn down illegal activity no matter how much it pays. I am sure robbing a bank would be quite rewarding also. Would I do it, hell no! It is against the law and God's law. You know, thou shalt not steal or covet thy neighbor. I wonder if that ever rings a bell with the illegal aliens crawling over our border? Obviously not.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 PM

234 posts, read 202,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It isn't hard to be opposed to anything with the word "illegal" in front of it that is if you are a law abding person. I already know of American construction workers that were been replaced by illegal aliens years ago. Where is your compassion for them?

Our lack of compassion? Don't me me laugh. We take in more legal immigrants than any other country in the world and Latinos get the second highest quotas already. We can't take in the entire world's poor and destitute. Get used to it.

Just remember that even though we have an illegal immigrant population, it's very much the action of our ruling elite that has contributed to the poverty in so called 3rd world Nations not to mention outright incompetency in some 3rd world nations governments and is one of many precursors to why Mexican immigrants illegally cross our borders seeking work or dropping babies on us.

They're attempting to escape extreme poverty. Something Americans know very little about.

One perfect example is NAFTA. NAFTA was supposed to be the silver bullet in reducing the numbers of illegal immigrant crossing due to such an immense difference in wages between the USA and Latin America.

The USA sent 1000's of factories to Mexico otherwise known as Maquiladoras to save money and to somehow improve the lives of millions of Mexican Nationals according to the sales pitch that Congress sold to the American people but its done everything but keep Mexican Nationals in Mexico. 10% of the Mexican population is here, what happen?

Take for example that before NAFTA you had hundreds of thousands of Mexican farmers including their employees, drivers, processors, and whoever is normally involved in growing corn in Mexico that was sold to the rest of Latin America and to America, but due to NAFTA Mexican farmers were unable to compete with American farmers with their federally subsidized corn. Now I know this is a win for the USA, but it just goes to show the level of exploitation that the U.S. has done just to thousands of Mexican farmers.

Now where do you think all those unemployed Mexican farmers and their 100 family members went? It's not like Mexico has a well grounded unemployment system for them or retraining due to being dislocated out of their industry as a result of NAFTA.

Mexico has done little to evolve its economy as well, considering the fact that Carlos Slim, the worlds most richest man is only that rich becuase of the monopolies that the Mexican government allows him regarding his companies. One would think that such a rich man would improve his Country but this is anything but the case.

In every Nation the ruling elite's sole purpose is to get richer at the expense of its citizens.

Predatory capitalism is what's causing earthquakes in todays American economy.

I can go on and on about just how much the United States has exploited 3rd world Nations but I think you get the picture regarding the American responsibility to why we have illegal immigration.

This debate is much more deeper then just some little brown men that run amuck having babies at tax payer expense and taking American jobs.

If you took the time to open your eyes and see what your fellow American businessman is doing to contribute to this entire dilemma you would probably be more understanding to what's really going on.

I'm not here trying to justify any illegal immigrant presence in the USA, rather I'm shedding light onto why its happening.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:09 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
Did you even read the article?
Yes I did..........and found it a compelling and read with some apparently valid points as to the de-industrialization. The point being of course that Black Americans have a two prong fight on their hands.
Just as the Black American workers were able to get into the middle class work force, industry began to out source and off shore.
That place the remaining jobs at a disadvantage to Black Americans, compounding the problem is the influx of illegals that are gobbling up the other private sector low wage jobs that the remaining black Americans might compete for except the wages have been lowered to a unacceptable level for family survival.
Couple that with the NAFTA and those black Americans entering the work force during the 70's took a kick to the face..............short and sucienct and surly not fully addressing the article in its entirety but I think and adequate review non the less

Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Just remember that even though we have an illegal immigrant population, it's very much the action of our ruling elite that has contributed to the poverty in so called 3rd world Nations not to mention outright incompetency in some 3rd world nations governments and is one of many precursors to why Mexican immigrants illegally cross our borders seeking work or dropping babies on us.

They're attempting to escape extreme poverty. Something Americans know very little about.

One perfect example is NAFTA. NAFTA was supposed to be the silver bullet in reducing the numbers of illegal immigrant crossing due to such an immense difference in wages between the USA and Latin America.

The USA sent 1000's of factories to Mexico otherwise known as Maquiladoras to save money and to somehow improve the lives of millions of Mexican Nationals according to the sales pitch that Congress sold to the American people but its done everything but keep Mexican Nationals in Mexico. 10% of the Mexican population is here, what happen?

Take for example that before NAFTA you had hundreds of thousands of Mexican farmers including their employees, drivers, processors, and whoever is normally involved in growing corn in Mexico that was sold to the rest of Latin America and to America, but due to NAFTA Mexican farmers were unable to compete with American farmers with their federally subsidized corn. Now I know this is a win for the USA, but it just goes to show the level of exploitation that the U.S. has done just to thousands of Mexican farmers.

Now where do you think all those unemployed Mexican farmers and their 100 family members went? It's not like Mexico has a well grounded unemployment system for them or retraining due to being dislocated out of their industry as a result of NAFTA.

Mexico has done little to evolve its economy as well, considering the fact that Carlos Slim, the worlds most richest man is only that rich becuase of the monopolies that the Mexican government allows him regarding his companies. One would think that such a rich man would improve his Country but this is anything but the case.

In every Nation the ruling elite's sole purpose is to get richer at the expense of its citizens.

Predatory capitalism is what's causing earthquakes in todays American economy.

I can go on and on about just how much the United States has exploited 3rd world Nations but I think you get the picture regarding the American responsibility to why we have illegal immigration.

This debate is much more deeper then just some little brown men that run amuck having babies at tax payer expense and taking American jobs.

If you took the time to open your eyes and see what your fellow American businessman is doing to contribute to this entire dilemma you would probably be more understanding to what's really going on.

I'm not here trying to justify any illegal immigrant presence in the USA, rather I'm shedding light onto why its happening.
I really couldn't care less what their reasons are for violating our immigration laws or the so-called hand that our government may have played in it. Our government does things without our permission all the time. We aren't even allowed to vote on some things. Now having said that we Americans who are the regular Joe's and Janes in this country are not going to tolerate illegal immigration no matter whose fault it is. We are taking this country back. Do you understand that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or