U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,115 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

The Black Commentator - May 24, 2007 - Issue 231

interesting read. hopefully it'll get a good discussion going instead of references to the exploits of scum gang members.

I expect the latter, but who knows? Maybe I'll be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:11 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,902,287 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
The Black Commentator - May 24, 2007 - Issue 231

interesting read. hopefully it'll get a good discussion going instead of references to the exploits of scum gang members.

I expect the latter, but who knows? Maybe I'll be surprised.
Typical. It's pitting poor people against poor people. (Blacks against Mexicans) and telling one group or another that theyre each other's threat/enemy.

If individual black people have an opinion about illegal immigration... that's fine. They're Americans JUST like everyone else. But to say that black people should oppose amnesty because it's a threat to their livelihood is steeped in scapegoating, fearmongering and lies lies lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Typical. It's pitting poor people against poor people. (Blacks against Mexicans) and telling one group or another that theyre each other's threat/enemy.

If individual black people have an opinion about illegal immigration... that's fine. They're Americans JUST like everyone else. But to say that black people should oppose amnesty because it's a threat to their livelihood is steeped in scapegoating, fearmongering and lies lies lies.
Tell that to the poor Black population that used to live in New Orleans. The area is now Illegal Mexicans and Guatemalans that have displaced them. If you were one of them how would you take being displaced from your City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,115 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
Typical. It's pitting poor people against poor people. (Blacks against Mexicans) and telling one group or another that theyre each other's threat/enemy.

If individual black people have an opinion about illegal immigration... that's fine. They're Americans JUST like everyone else. But to say that black people should oppose amnesty because it's a threat to their livelihood is steeped in scapegoating, fearmongering and lies lies lies.

I think it goes even further. It's pitting poor people against other poor people. Latinos vs. Unemployed/underemployed Whites.
And to make it less racist
Latinos vs. African-Americans

And to make it less blatantly anti-Hispanic
anti-illegal Latinos vs. illegals and any Latino who isn't vocal in his opposition to illegal immigration..

On the much wider scale, it's actually big business vs. the working class...the same people screwing over Mexicans and Central Americans are screwing over working class Americans of any race.

But it's a lot more convenient to portray it in the other ways, and some people are more comfortable slipping into anti-immigrant hysteria and anti-latino sentiment.

What this article is saying about Blacks actually goes with Americans of any race who are being led to blame and hate the brown immigrants who are being forced to come to the US to find a good living.

Tossing in a few stories of violent criminals and predators that cross illegally as well, and fears of terrorism don't hurt either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
 
313 posts, read 295,115 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Tell that to the poor Black population that used to live in New Orleans. The area is now Illegal Mexicans and Guatemalans that have displaced them. If you were one of them how would you take being displaced from your City?
Did you even read the article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17687
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
I think it goes even further. It's pitting poor people against other poor people. Latinos vs. Unemployed/underemployed Whites.
And to make it less racist
Latinos vs. African-Americans

And to make it less blatantly anti-Hispanic
anti-illegal Latinos vs. illegals and any Latino who isn't vocal in his opposition to illegal immigration..

On the much wider scale, it's actually big business vs. the working class...the same people screwing over Mexicans and Central Americans are screwing over working class Americans of any race.

But it's a lot more convenient to portray it in the other ways, and some people are more comfortable slipping into anti-immigrant hysteria and anti-latino sentiment.

What this article is saying about Blacks actually goes with Americans of any race who are being led to blame and hate the brown immigrants who are being forced to come to the US to find a good living.

Tossing in a few stories of violent criminals and predators that cross illegally as well, and fears of terrorism don't hurt either.
Please explain how the average US tax payer is forcing illegal Peasants from Mexico and Guatemala to move here risking their lives crossing the desert. We need to find these villians and bring them to justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: DF
757 posts, read 1,902,287 times
Reputation: 595
I agree. Arpayaso wrote a well-thought out critique, but instead of someone from an opposing view constructively arguing his points... they instead focused on one minute detail and decided to expand on that. It shows how dead-set people are on this subject.... that they are unwilling (or unable?) to explore other themes of this topic.

With the example of New Orleans... MANY blacks decided it'd be better to stay away from New Orleans after the storm and many contracting companies decided to bring their own workers (some illegal, some legal) to the city. Yes unfortunate racial tensions arose... but the situation was blown way out of proportion. It was a totally new ethnic group moving into an area that wasn't really familiar with them before.... that's bound to happen.

If Dr. King were alive, who knows what his views on immigration or Mexicans would be.... but I could tell you this... the last cause that he was working on before he was murdered was not a Black cause... but a poor people cause. He would definitely not pitt poor blacks against poor Mexicans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Sorry, but I found nothing backing up this commentators opinions. On the other hand, lots of factual posts are throughout this forum and news supporting the poster claim that illegal aliens are in fact taking jobs from Americans, no matter the race, but has hit African American's particularly hard. Poke around, you'll find them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 PM
 
234 posts, read 202,528 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Tell that to the poor Black population that used to live in New Orleans. The area is now Illegal Mexicans and Guatemalans that have displaced them. If you were one of them how would you take being displaced from your City?

Actually a horrible hurricane displaced most people who once lived in New Orleans to other States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM
 
234 posts, read 202,528 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please explain how the average US tax payer is forcing illegal Peasants from Mexico and Guatemala to move here risking their lives crossing the desert. We need to find these villians and bring them to justice.
What you're attempting to do is nothing more than a smokescreen. It's an act of misdirection. You get your average American workers all riled up that their jobs are being 'stolen' by these illegal immigrants.

Supposedly these illegal immigrants are sucking the profits from our economy, they must be getting very, very rich.

Of course this is absurd.

There are profits, but the big profits are not going to illegal immigrants okay? And they're also not going to the middle class. In actuality a disproportionate amount of the nation's wealth is being systematically funneled towards the pockets of the richest of the rich.

Even conservative economists agree on this.

But you know, these self-appointed watchdogs of Americanism, they've actually been very successful in whipping up popular animosity towards these so-called 'illegal aliens'. If you think about it, what they've been able to achieve is actually quite remarkable - they've basically taken a group of people from tremendously impoverished places, living extremely difficult lives, and they've successfully branded them as a bunch of criminal opportunists hell-bent at exploiting America's generosity.

Which is, of course, totally ironic since First World exploitation of the Third World has historically been the driving force behind creating that poverty they're trying to escape in the first place.

The lack of awareness or compassion is extraordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top