U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It should be a law that any immigrant wishing to move needs to be able to communicate both orally and in writing in order to get a VISA. My wife had to during her interview...
What? Generally for an IV, the person being interviewed can specify whether the interview can be conducted in English or their native language. There is even the option to take the oath that way.

With you saying that your stepdaughter needs medical screening/immunizations for a non-immigrant visa, and this, the U.S. Consulate in Thailand sounds like it is being run differently than in other countries...

Quote:
...Illegals should be held to the same standard.
This doesn't even make sense, why have a requirement for those here illegally?...

Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez
It's the language of the land, but it's not the official language on the Federal Level.
No it isnt and would you like being forced to speak another language if you visited somewhere who didnt speak yours?

I doubt it!

Old 05-16-2014, 07:44 PM

5,302 posts, read 4,009,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No it isnt and would you like being forced to speak another language if you visited somewhere who didnt speak yours?

I doubt it!
You're replying to a member that made that post over four years ago, and hasn't had any activity at C-D in almost that long...

Although they did have posts about visiting New York City, so they probably did need a few translators at the time...

Old 05-16-2014, 09:44 PM

10,946 posts, read 7,975,174 times
Quote:

I doubt it!
You don't see a difference between "visiting" somewhere that they don't speak your language and moving there to live and expect them to understand whatever language you speak?

Pitiful.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,174,708 times
I live in a neighborhood with a very large amount of immigrants who come from Latin America and a number of countries in Asia. I also teach English as second language to immigrants. The fact is is that many of these immigrants have an easy time learning the language, while others struggle. Some students come to class after or before they have a 10-12 hour shift in a restaurant at a construction company, so getting their full and undivided attention isn't always possible.

Although I do hear more Spanish than English on the street, I've rarely had a difficult time speaking to anyone. I don't speak Spanish, but most people in the neighborhood speak at least some basic English. Many of them speak Spanish to their kids, but once those kids enter school, they start learning English. Most of the children speak English with an American accent AND the native language of their parents.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,174,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What? Generally for an IV, the person being interviewed can specify whether the interview can be conducted in English or their native language. There is even the option to take the oath that way.

With you saying that your stepdaughter needs medical screening/immunizations for a non-immigrant visa, and this, the U.S. Consulate in Thailand sounds like it is being run differently than in other countries...

This doesn't even make sense, why have a requirement for those here illegally?...
As far as I know, you need to speak some English to become a citizen.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

The standard should be that before any illegal can even be considered for any form of VISA in the future that they should be held to the same standard to which we hold legals. The exact same standards and requirements.
The consulate in Thailand. Part of the interview was to demonstrate that there was an actual history of correspondence between us. Her interview was in English. No option. That was to demonstrate that we were able to communicate effectively with each other. I had no issue with it, nor did my wife. Which oath? Citizenship? There were 80 people in the group from 34 countries. Should they conduct the oath 34 times?

Last edited by tinman01; 05-17-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:

I doubt it!
Visited or chose to live? If you choose to immigrate to another country you should at least learn the language, if for no other reason so that you can function there. I intend to move to Thailand. I learned to speak Thai out of respect for my host nation. How ignorant is it to expect another nation to adapt to you?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:43 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
It should be a law that any immigrant wishing to move needs to be able to communicate both orally and in writing in order to get a VISA.
My wife had to during her interview. Illegals should be held to the same standard.
Definitely a preference should be given to would-be immigrants who have made the effort to prepare themselves for life here and who speak English --- before arriving.

We need to stop providing welfare handouts to those too lazy to make even the slightest effort to learn something, they can go back home if they can't adjust.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:47 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:

I doubt it!
If I emigrate to a country but never wish to learn a single word of that country, should it's taxpayers have to provide me everything in English?

It's your problem if you go somewhere and don't know the language spoken there -- either learn it, hire a translator -- using your own money, or don't go.

Out of all the people who want to come and live in the USA, why are we giving preference to the least capable, least willing to adapt? There are people who already know English who would assimilate easily and we don't let them come here -- meanwhile millions just come and will never learn or adapt in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or