U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2014, 04:49 PM
 
Location: The land where cats rule
10,946 posts, read 7,983,841 times
Reputation: 3602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wasn't aware that Calif. is now forcing students to learn Spanish. Yet the title of this topic is about forcing Hispanics to learn English aka our national de facto language? The official language of Calif. is English. I don't wish to see us turn into a bi-lingual country so I vehemently object to what Calif. is doing and I hope it doesn't spread throughout our nation.
As I recall, California started mandating a second language be forcibly taught back in the mid 1960's.

For the most part it was Spanish, whether the students or parents agreed or not.

Just saying.

 
Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 PM
 
31,700 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
As I recall, California started mandating a second language be forcibly taught back in the mid 1960's.

For the most part it was Spanish, whether the students or parents agreed or not.

Just saying.
Well, that was after I graduated from high school then. I took an "elective" language and never used it so it was a waste of time. IMO, learning another language should be kept elective.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 05:47 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 12,304,914 times
Reputation: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet --- where is your concern for the taxpayers who are being forced to support massive immigration where the immigrants cannot learn or adapt and so must exist on tons of government handouts?

Just stop catering to those coming here unwilling to learn the language. Stop having welfare social workers have to give them their food stamps and Medicaid in Spanish. Stop printing election ballots and providing them taxpayer-paid translators. Let them hire their translators themselves.
Agreed. Too; MOST legal aliens of ANY heritage already know some English.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 07:04 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,382 posts, read 10,003,997 times
Reputation: 9119
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yet --- where is your concern for the taxpayers who are being forced to support massive immigration where the immigrants cannot learn or adapt and so must exist on tons of government handouts?

Just stop catering to those coming here unwilling to learn the language. Stop having welfare social workers have to give them their food stamps and Medicaid in Spanish. Stop printing election ballots and providing them taxpayer-paid translators. Let them hire their translators themselves.
You didn't catch the subtlety of my statement. I do believe that if you live in the US, you should be functional in English. Just like if I take a trip and stay in Argentina for any amount of time, I should be functional in Spanish. I didn't say a thing about government resources being spent on Spanish or any other language material.

What I'm saying is that I do not believe language nazis should be forcing anyone to speak any language or do business in any specific language. Being able to speak a language and regularly speaking it are two different things. I sure as hell wouldn't be speaking English on my own time if it were not my native language--linguistically speaking, English is a damn nightmare. For private sector business and personal communication, folks should be able to speak whatever language they wish or grunt like a caveman if they so choose.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 07:55 PM
 
31,700 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8451
English is the language of commerce across the world.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 08:20 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,382 posts, read 10,003,997 times
Reputation: 9119
And at one time it was French. Before that, it was Latin. Before that... well, you get the idea.

Who knows what it will be in the future? Perhaps Chinese. Maybe Russian. There is no advantage, linguistically speaking, to having English as the "language of commerce." It is so simply because the English, and later we, have had such a dominant economic impact around the globe. If we were deciding from scratch on a language used as a "common language," there are far better choice for ease of learning and consistent grammar/spelling. Turkish would be a very good choice because it is so consistent and has very few grammatical or spelling "accidents" and inconsistencies. And yes... even Spanish would be a better choice for a "world common language."
 
Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,141,250 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
English is the language of commerce across the world.
And that is why people across the world learn English. Only young idiots and the old deliberately choose to not learn English. So, with that in mind, it's pretty safe to say your precious language isn't in any immediate danger of dying out like you always seem to think so.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 11:23 PM
 
31,700 posts, read 14,622,494 times
Reputation: 8451
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And that is why people across the world learn English. Only young idiots and the old deliberately choose to not learn English. So, with that in mind, it's pretty safe to say your precious language isn't in any immediate danger of dying out like you always seem to think so.
Precious language? My, my. There is a colonization going on in this country not assimilation whether you want to admit it or not. I have never said that English is dying out.
 
Old 05-18-2014, 11:54 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,141,250 times
Reputation: 11578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Precious language? My, my. There is a colonization going on in this country not assimilation whether you want to admit it or not. I have never said that English is dying out.
Yes, precious language, as in, anyday now it's going to become extinct because of those scary boogeymen called latinos

If colonization was going on, like you claim, then English is in danger of dying out. Why are you contradicting yourself, lol?
 
Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 AM
 
11,547 posts, read 5,530,863 times
Reputation: 9894
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, precious language, as in, anyday now it's going to become extinct because of those scary boogeymen called latinos

If colonization was going on, like you claim, then English is in danger of dying out. Why are you contradicting yourself, lol?
I hardly think that English will go "extinct".

Besides, how do you know that Spanish will become the universal language? Why not Chinese, for example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top