U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times

Advertisements

Another Hispanic here who barely knows Spanish anymore. I can speak conversationally but I cannot write or read Spanish very well at all.

My language is English. No force needed.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
learning english in america is like economic darwinism. even in LA, which has the largest number of hispanics in the country, english is easily the dominant language of business and the all mighty dollar. not learning english will leave most in financial peril. having said that, creating a law that requires english only and spending tax money to enforce it is absurd. i say let nature take its course.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
learning english in america is like economic darwinism. even in LA, which has the largest number of hispanics in the country, english is easily the dominant language of business and the all mighty dollar. not learning english will leave most in financial peril. having said that, creating a law that requires english only and spending tax money to enforce it is absurd. i say let nature take its course.
The only place I can honestly say does not have Engish dominating the business center is Miami. And that is mostly because of Miami's proximity to Latin American countries and being basically the gateway into America from Latin America. People love to point at Mexicans for not knowing English, but if you look around Mexican American towns, English is still primary in the business and Mexicans do accept American prosperity.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:38 PM

757 posts, read 1,902,706 times
If you look around many Mexican-American towns, especially in South or West Texas, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who speaks fluent, coherent, thorough Spanish. LOL. I speak from experience.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,766,194 times
a "Law" is not needed.....simply remove the "dual Language" laws and people will learn the language as a matter of survival.....
I lived in France for 3 years in the 60's...there was no dual language there....I learned to speak French so I could exist there....

Of course I can't remember a word of it now.....

Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Per the 2008 American Community Survey (most recent):

12.2% of US residents speak Spanish at home.

46.7% of those Spanish speakers speak English less than "very well", which translates into 5.7% of the total population.

5.7% doesn't seem like that big of a "problem", and most definitely not one that would require a mandate.
San Diego had 48 liasons just to communicate with Spanish speakers in S Bay. Why would they need those people? It's because the residents can't speak English, why else?

When they were let go due to budget cuts the cry from the public was that the residents now had no way to communicate with Public agencies.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM

12,840 posts, read 23,205,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
San Diego had 48 liasons just to communicate with Spanish speakers in S Bay. Why would they need those people? It's because the residents can't speak English, why else?

When they were let go due to budget cuts the cry from the public was that the residents now had no way to communicate with Public agencies.
It was San Diego's choice to employ those liaisons in the first place. I personally wouldn't have done so, I probably would have told them to about it too. If they want to speak to public agencies bad enough, they can find a bilingual person laying around somewhere.

BTW, SD County's number of Spanish speakers that can't speak English is 10.1% of the total population . IMO, if we're talking US or we're talking SD, there isn't that much of a "problem" to warrant mandated English, or liaisons for that matter.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
There should NOT be a law forcing hispanics to learn English. But there SHOULD be a law forbidding anyone from posting signs, telephone messages, instructions, and anything else in the U.S. in any language except English.
While I agree with some of that logic, I also understand that someone who doesn't have a good grasp of the English language is still going to get behind the wheel of a car. Would it be ideal if they wouldn't drive until they could read the driving manual in English? Sure. But the problem is that they won't...driving is a necessity in most of the country. So, now you've got people behind the wheel driving a car, who studied a manual that they couldn't understand. There are terrible drivers everywhere...many of whom speak English as their first language. While I would hope people will learn English before taking to the road, the reality is that they likely won't. So, in my mind, giving them a driving instruction manual in their own language in order for them to understand some of the driving rules here in the US...I'm okay with it.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:05 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There are a HUGE number of older Illegals that don't know but maybe a couple words of English here. The larger Cities like mine have a startling number of people that don't speak English. The part I find discriminating is that they only hire Spanish speakers as interpreters. Why don't other Cultures get the same treatment? What's so special about the Spanish speakers?
It's not just Spanish. I grew up in Seattle and there is a large Asian community there where many don't learn English, even though the've lived here for decades. I think the same applies in Little Italy and Chinatown in San Francisco.

I still believe, however, that you have to make a concerted effort to NOT learn English. You'd have to make a point to do your grocery shopping and dining in a specific area, you'd have to only listen to certain channels on tv and radio, you'd have to even find a job in a place where people speak your language. Humans, in general, like to congregate where people are like them...they do it naturally...so it makes sense, if you're Mexican, that you'd head to an area where you could understand people. But, again...you said yourself many of them are older, which means they're the grandma/grandpa who doesn't speak English...their kids and grandkids likely do.

The point, however, is that as each generation lives in our country, they become less and less connected with Mexico. If this weren't true, many people who claim they are going to leave Phoenix because of this new law would head back to Mexico and take their families...but no.

I live in the suburbs of Denver and we've got a pretty diverse area of middle to upper-middle class families. A few of my daughter's friends are children of immigrants...first generation American. What they have in common is their ability to speak English or at least to try. It's how you end the cycle of poverty for your family...and while there ARE some who come to this country to get a free handout, most (I believe) can appreciate the opportunity America offers and are willing to work hard to provide a better life for their families. The only way to a decent wage is to learn English and the only way to make sure your kids are successful adults is for them to learn English too.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
No, there should never be a law forcing anyone to learn any language. By the same token, as English is the common language of the US, we should not allow others to force us to teach their children the language of their choice.
We shouldn't have any language instruction in the schools, including English. You want your kid to learn how to communicate, you teach him--or her.

YouTube - cool hand luke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or