U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,894,804 times

Advertisements

I would think that Hispanic's who live here would appreciate the United States enough to speak English, but they do not. Many of the immigrants that entered through Ellis Island bend down and kissed the ground when they got here. Hispanic's have been allowed to stay when they should not have been able to stay and they respect nothing, they assume it is their right to fly the Mexican flag over our flag, if they so wish. None of them who are here illegally look at themselves as criminals, but that is what they are.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I would think that Hispanic's who live here would appreciate the United States enough to speak English, but they do not. Many of the immigrants that entered through Ellis Island bend down and kissed the ground when they got here. Hispanic's have been allowed to stay when they should not have been able to stay and they respect nothing, they assume it is their right to fly the Mexican flag over our flag, if they so wish. None of them who are here illegally look at themselves as criminals, but that is what they are.
Hispanics should have bent down and kissed the ground when they got here, as everyone knows that is the first required step to being a good loyal American. I mean literally kiss the ground---I do it myself twice a day, that's the only way to enjoy our sweet, sweet, red, white, and blue brand of freedom. And at no time should the Mexican flag fly over the American flag---the Mexican flag can only be displayed at lowrider car shows and soccer matches.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,690,837 times
Quote:
Great post. I know when my German family came here in 1938, they worked their tails off to become citizens and learn English, which is not easy especially when you are older, but they did and were proud to be here. Same with my Irish side that had it much worse. Illegals and those that support them disrespect all those that came here legally and worked to build the US.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Great post. I know when my German family came here in 1938, they worked their tails off to become citizens and learn English, which is not easy especially when you are older, but they did and were proud to be here. Same with my Irish side that had it much worse. Illegals and those that support them disrespect all those that came here legally and worked to build the US.

It took on average 3 generations for Italians, Germans and Polish to fully speak English, that is the same for Hispanics. Areas densely populated by Hispanics create the false impression that the United States is becoming a bilingual nation.

We have been down this road many times Nea1.

Quote:
In late 18th century, Benjamin Franklin was worried about the Germans' assimilation. He even suspected them of making Pennsylvania a German state. However, at end of 19th century, no one was suspicious about them, because they were no more Germans, but Americans. The same thing happened to the Irish, Italians, and Jewish people. The Germans were suspected because of their language. The Irish, on the other hand, were suspected of their religion. The same thing is happening now for the Latinos. They are suspected because of their religion and their language.
The Hispanics' Way Toward Becoming American (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Hispanics-Way-Toward-Becoming-American&id=3530002 - broken link)

Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It took on average 3 generations for Italians, Germans and Polish to fully speak English, that is the same for Hispanics. Areas densely populated by Hispanics create the false impression that the United States is becoming a bilingual nation.
Oh really, like to tell that to my family? Hard work does wonders so does having a desire. I speak three languages, didn't take to long.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 PM

19,272 posts, read 20,147,764 times
There is no need for such a law. Hispanic people are astuto enough to know which side their pan is mantequilla'd on.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Yea, and you still haven't gotten it through your head.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:40 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,285,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
Here's my take on it. Adults who move to this country and don't learn English should be encouraged to. But assuming that they work and perhaps are raising families, it can be difficult to add school to their schedule.

So they have kids and their kids go to school here and they learn English. This is the case for all immigrant groups - not just Latinos.'

I'm a 2nd generation American. My parents were born here and when they started school, they didn't know any English. They learned it in school. My maternal grandparents managed to learn pretty good English from their jobs, listening to the radio, watching TV, etc. They didn't go to school to learn it.

If you're an English native speaker and you run across someone who doesn't speak English, you obviously can't converse with them, so just leave it alone. If they can find a job and work with the language skills that they have, leave them alone.

My grandfather lived in the U.S. for 50 years and never learned English. But he worked in a factory, bought an apartment building, sent his children to college, paid his taxes and celebrated our national holidays. His son, my father, fought in WWII for this country - he didn't know English when he went to school. English was not spoken at home. He actually knew 3 languages, one of which was English.

I am so tired of so many of my fellow American preaching how people should learn English, like it's really easy to just uproot yourself from your homeland and learn a new language. Most people can barely juggle work and family as it is.

Relax - the chlldren who are the children of immigrants will learn English and some of their parents will too. Until you move to a foreign land and master their language, you can't judge.
I am not buying any of this crap. My Ancestors came to this Country from Italy for a better life, They to had small children. Guess what they made sure they learned the english language and very well, in the home they only spoke English, and to each other and other family members Italian. No excuses, sorry, when you move to this Country, and want the privlages that go with it, Learn English, my family also worked, and had children. No excuses and no free passes. If you don't want to take the time to learn the language of this Country, simple then, don't MOVE HERE....................

Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 22 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,464,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Oh really, like to tell that to my family? Hard work does wonders so does having a desire. I speak three languages, didn't take to long.
It doesn't change the fact that Germans did not assimilate very quick and that Ben Franklin himself was worried they would create a German state here.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:

The Hispanics' Way Toward Becoming American (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Hispanics-Way-Toward-Becoming-American&id=3530002 - broken link)
18th and 19th century huh? Ok yea that applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or