U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
And at the same time there were Germans and Italians within our history who did not speak English after 15 years as well. Hispanics are just the latest wave.
AGAIN, you cant compare the times, they DID NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES, the illegals do. We make it so they have no need to, press one for freaking English, BS. Lets not forget the complete lack of desire.

 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,073 posts, read 15,523,456 times
Reputation: 5293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
AGAIN, you cant compare the times, they DID NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES, the illegals do. We make it so they have no need to, press one for freaking English, BS. Lets not forget the complete lack of desire.
Ok so according to you, we cannot compare major immigrant waves because of the difference in time. OK well then I may as well leave the thread because you say so.

Disregard all of the studies that say Hispanics are assimilating at the same rate of Italians, Germans, Poles and Irish..etc. Nea1 says it is not proper evidence. Case closed.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM
 
1,150 posts, read 994,018 times
Reputation: 369
<<No, there should never be a law forcing anyone to learn any language. By the same token, as English is the common language of the US, we should not allow others to force us to teach their children the language of their choice.>>

You're right, and no one should be denied a job in this country because they speak English only. English may not be the national language of this country officially, but it is the common language, and the language of government, and business. There shouldn't be a law that forces people to learn English, but those who fail to do so should realize they'll always be in a lower socio-economic class.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Ok so according to you, we cannot compare major immigrant waves because of the difference in time. OK well then I may as well leave the thread because you say so.

Disregard all of the studies that say Hispanics are assimilating at the same rate of Italians, Germans, Poles and Irish..etc. Nea1 says it is not proper evidence. Case closed.

Nice Mach try to turn it. They are not assimilating, they are not even trying to. There is no excuse no matter how you try to spin it. If I can learn three in a few years, so can they, but they have to WANT it, it has to be a NEED> And it is not for them. And if they are assimilating at the same rate, well that doesn't look good for them given the resources they have at their disposal that the people in the past did not have. Speaks volumes of the desire of the past immigrants and the complete lack of it in the illegals today.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:04 PM
 
425 posts, read 274,845 times
Reputation: 63
Actually as things stand its a good thing that those who chose not to speak English don't. It makes it easier in the future to designate them into a service worker caste with restricted privileges.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Denver
9,073 posts, read 15,523,456 times
Reputation: 5293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Nice Mach try to turn it. They are not assimilating, they are not even trying to. There is no excuse no matter how you try to spin it. If I can learn three in a few years, so can they, but they have to WANT it, it has to be a NEED> And it is not for them. And if they are assimilating at the same rate, well that doesn't look good for them given the resources they have at their disposal that the people in the past did not have. Speaks volumes of the desire of the past immigrants and the complete lack of it in the illegals today.

Germans wanted to make Pennsylvania into a German state!



 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:09 PM
 
425 posts, read 274,845 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Germans wanted to make Pennsylvania into a German state!


Well that would certainly be an improvemvent over a Spanish Pennsylvania.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,709,047 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Hispanics are learning English at the same rate other major waves of immigrants did. Do you have any proof to say otherwise, besides anecdotal?
Yeah....

"Press one for Spanish, two for English....."
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,018,595 times
Reputation: 10278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
There should NOT be a law forcing hispanics to learn English. But there SHOULD be a law forbidding anyone from posting signs, telephone messages, instructions, and anything else in the U.S. in any language except English.
Unless English is made the official language of the United States I don't think you could do this. Futhermore, I could be unconstitutional as it would be an infringement on one's First Amendment rights.
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,730,276 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Germans wanted to make Pennsylvania into a German state!


Did they? As far as I know no they didn't succeed. Yet we let illegals come here and turn our towns into THEIR towns. You just don't or want to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top