U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 PM

8,016 posts, read 8,086,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Italians and Germans as well as other groups have done the same thing. You just like them better than Hispanics.
Oh yea? Where are those towns at? Last time I was in the City I didn't have to worry about speaking German

Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,698,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Oh yea? Where are those towns at? Last time I was in the City I didn't have to worry about speaking German
Neither have I.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 26 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Neither have I.
Check back in 100 hundred years and perhaps the same will apply to Hispanics... which is precisely the point I am making .

Old 04-30-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Check back in 100 hundred years and perhaps the same will apply to Hispanics... which is precisely the point I am making .
Only if we stop the illegals from coming in and kick the ones we have now out.
I don't recall anything being printed in German, or Polish or Italian or even the Chinese that came here. No press one for English for the other languages.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Maybe not forced, if they don't want to learn much of anything, their choice but they should not be accomodated and catered to because of their inability and lack of desire to learn something.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,731,841 times
Quote:
Italians and Germans as well as other groups have done the same thing. You just like them better than Hispanics.
Everyone likes immigrants who come because they want to be a true part of this country and fit in and who adapt to our culture more than those who refuse to learn and demand that we adapt to their ways.

It's like if an American chooses to move and live permanently in another country. If the American learns the language he will be liked more than one who refuses to learn anything and demands the people of that country cater to him in English.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Everyone likes immigrants who come because they want to be a true part of this country and fit in and who adapt to our culture more than those who refuse to learn and demand that we adapt to their ways.

It's like if an American chooses to move and live permanently in another country. If the American learns the language he will be liked more than one who refuses to learn anything and demands the people of that country cater to him in English.
Thing is I would expect this of myself, I would want to be a productive member of the community and be able to respect them and their law and culture, it is their country, why should I expect special treatment they owe me nothing, we get just the opposite from the illegals.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,941,847 times
Quote:
It sure mentions citizens a lot, If that is not the case, why would anyone care about being a citizen if all benefits apply regardless? Although i did go the website to find some answers, found this.

Civil rights are those derived from simply being a citizen. When blacks demonstrated for their civil rights, they were essentially asking to be treated like every other (white) citizen, that they have no special restrictions placed on them because of color. The rights of free speech and freedom of (or from) religion are civil rights. Note that these are civil rights in the context of the U.S. Some nations do not have a right of free speech, so in that nation it is not a civil right.
That's a good question. Perhaps it is because they are proud of this country and want to express their allegiance by becoming a citizen. Or maybe they figure it is the next logical step for living in this country.

Do non-citizens (while in this country) not also have the rights that citizens of this country have? I'd say yes. If that was not true, how do we explain 'anchor babies'? How do we explain due process for illegal aliens who are prosecuted by the same legal system (that you and I are subject to) and, if convicted, are incarcerated with the general population of our prisons? How do we explain The May Day protests where there are illegal aliens walking amongst citizens who are expressing their minds and, therefore, exercising a First Amendment right?

Looked at another way, if a US citizen where to go to Canada (or wherever) he no longer can exercise, or seek protection, of his rights as a US citizen because he is not in the United States. He is subject to the laws of the country where he is at the time. Flip this around and if a Canadian (or whatever national) comes to this country, his rights and protections are not those of Canada, but those of the laws of the United States which ultimately must be consistent with the United States Constitution. Therefore, a foreign national (here legally or illegally) has the rights and protections of a US citizen unless it is explicitly stated that the right or protection is reserved only for US citizens, e.g. voting (26th Amendment).

I am not saying this is ideal or that I agree with it. I am saying that I think this is how it is.

I am certain there is disagreement. If so, I welcome an examples where a foreign national was forced to stop doing what US citizens can do and, if failing to do so, was arrested and prosecuted. I have not heard of such a thing. We don't have a 'shadow' legal system reserved for foreign nationals - everyone is subject to the same legal system. Regarding illegal aliens, has any illegal alien been legally treated differently by our legal system? I'm not aware of it.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,997,218 times
Quote:
Hispanics are learning English at the same rate other major waves of immigrants did. Do you have any proof to say otherwise, besides anecdotal?
Spanish language billboards, having to press 1 for English when I call the bank.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 5,997,218 times
Quote:
Only if we stop the illegals from coming in and kick the ones we have now out.
I don't recall anything being printed in German, or Polish or Italian or even the Chinese that came here. No press one for English for the other languages.
Well said my lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or