U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:57 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We have a neighbor whom I believe maybe an illegal, but my daughter and her daughter play together. Her parents speak NO English, not a freaking word and she says they have been here about 15years, but she wont speak anything else about them and wont stay at our home long. 15 years? No excuse for not knowing some English!! Heck my grandma did it in 2.
The irony is also that at least 55% of the words in English come directly from Latin. Spanish speaking people have an advantage to begin with.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:12 AM

35 posts, read 43,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
I'm Hispanic, and English is my first language.
Me too, lol.

My father is from Puerto Rico. He speaks Spanish as his first language and English as his second. As his son, I speak ONLY English. I think many of the children of Hispanic immigrants will probably favor English. And their children more so. One is at a disadvantage to not know English in this country. So there is pressure to pick it up. But it's hard when one is a new arrival to America to just throw their whole culture and language away immediately. I think some accomadation to non-English speakers is fine. To those that are worried I'd say don't be. English is here to stay and the longer Hispanic famillies are in the country the more they'll speak English. I think given enough time assimilation will happen.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,940,289 times
I read this article awhile back: ENGLISH BYPASSED IN L.A. MANY IMMIGRANTS LEARNING KOREAN OR SPANISH FIRST. - Free Online Library

It's about how immigrants in Los Angeles are learning languages other than English. I believe this may only be a local thing but it was interesting.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
what does speeking english have to do with immigration?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:28 PM

757 posts, read 1,902,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then WHY does the entire world want to come here rather than stay in it's own countries?

Obviously all those many languages are not doing much to make their own countries work out if they all demand their rights to move here.

Quite possibly the post of the month. Have this as your signature, malamute. It'll tell people the inner genius in you.

Yes... I'm sure all those other languages have done nothing for those countries. It's in fact, the language you speak, that determines the success of your country. With English being far far superior.

I guess I could go on and list all the countries in the world that have English as an official language and still live a destitute existence... but it would be too painful to see your response.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,619,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
It's the official language after all.
Why make another law that no one will follow ,JUST STOP printing all the welfare documents in Spanish ( Stop kissing A$$$$) and they will have to learn to speak our language. As simple as that . Stop requiring employee's to learn Spanish and again those that can't will learn fast . "NO MORE ASS KISSING) Again it is that easy to resolve the problem.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:00 PM

111 posts, read 112,434 times
Quote:
Then WHY does the entire world want to come here rather than stay in it's own countries?

Obviously all those many languages are not doing much to make their own countries work out if they all demand their rights to move here.

Dey wunt er jerbs!!

Seriously, every immigrant group has come to the U.S for two primary reasons: Freedom from religious/political persecution and... JOBS! MONEY!

Why did the Irish come? Potato famine! They were poor, they were hungry. Did they stay in their country and fix it? Not really, so they came to the U.S.

But everyone should be heavily encouraged to learn English, they should stop by the historically black ghetto's, because as I've experienced, they speak incredibly choppy English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The irony is also that at least 55% of the words in English come directly from Latin. Spanish speaking people have an advantage to begin with.
Actually, no. English is a language that belongs to the Germanic family, being more closely related to German than any Latin language (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian). Those latin words that are used in the English language are usually scientific.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM

216 posts, read 598,593 times
Quote:

The entire world doesn't want to come here. The majority of people who move here are coming here from impoverished countries or they are very poor in their native country. Those people tend to speak only their native language. Many children from those countries don't get adequate education because they have to work.

This is why we're not on this site complaining about all of the French or Germans illegal coming to the the U.S. They live well there and don't have a need to come here.

In countries in western Europe, such as Germany, France, Switzerland, the Netherlands, etc., most people do speak multiple languages. The European Union has a program that's goal is that every European masters 2 additional languages in school. One of the 2 is always English and the other is typically French, German or Russian.

I've vacationed in Mexico many, many times. All of the employees at hotels, restaurants, etc. know very good English. They are earning good money in their jobs and aren't rushing the border to move here.

I don't think hispanics or any immigrants for that matter should be forced to learn English, unless they are children. They will learn English in school.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 PM

216 posts, read 598,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am not buying any of this crap. My Ancestors came to this Country from Italy for a better life, They to had small children. Guess what they made sure they learned the english language and very well, in the home they only spoke English, and to each other and other family members Italian. No excuses, sorry, when you move to this Country, and want the privlages that go with it, Learn English, my family also worked, and had children. No excuses and no free passes. If you don't want to take the time to learn the language of this Country, simple then, don't MOVE HERE....................
It's not a matter of "buying any of this crap". Our ancestors who moved to the U.S. did things differently. But at the end, both families prevailed.

My point is that immigrant parents who move to the U.S. and who don't learn English themselves, can go onto to raise educated and successful children here.

Learning English does make things much easier and provides the working parents with many more employment options. However, if they are able to find a legal job that is managed by people who speak their native language (as in the case of my grandfather) and work, it's possible. More difficult, but possible.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:16 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
It's not a matter of "buying any of this crap". Our ancestors who moved to the U.S. did things differently. But at the end, both families prevailed.

My point is that immigrant parents who move to the U.S. and who don't learn English themselves, can go onto to raise educated and successful children here.

Learning English does make things much easier and provides the working parents with many more employment options. However, if they are able to find a legal job that is managed by people who speak their native language (as in the case of my grandfather) and work, it's possible. More difficult, but possible.
Where does this come from? Where is it stated that Immigrant parents dont want to learn English? More B.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or