U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 AM

8,221 posts, read 9,097,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then we need to boot out lots more illegal aliens OUT of the USA.

BTW: I live here in Arizona near a large foreign born Latino enclave and; suffice to say, there have been many good changes since Brewer signed SB1070. To wit: the loud Hispanic music blaring from vehicles is significantly less and more and more folks are packing up and leaving judging by lots of loaded up trucks and trailers with in many cases, Sonora, Mx license plates.
That's interesting to hear. But didn't the same thing happen in 2007 when we passed the bill that employers were responsible for NOT hiring illegals? I remember the news stories that said the illegals were "leaving in droves". I also remember the hotels, restaurants and resorts screaming their heads off that they would lose their employee base. Especially up here in my part of the state.

It would be nice if they would all leave voluntarily, wouldn't it? Then nobody could complain about the cost to have them deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's interesting to hear. But didn't the same thing happen in 2007 when we passed the bill that employers were responsible for NOT hiring illegals? I remember the news stories that said the illegals were "leaving in droves". I also remember the hotels, restaurants and resorts screaming their heads off that they would lose their employee base. Especially up here in my part of the state.

It would be nice if they would all leave voluntarily, wouldn't it? Then nobody could complain about the cost to have them deported.
Thinking back on it: said illegals started to disappear noticeably ca. July 2007........never mind our sanctions law was not slated to take effect till 2008.

Remember that we ca. 600K illegal aliens back and and we are down to about 460K............essentially a 25% drop. IMHO: we 'lost' more like ca. 30% of those losers starting 2007.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

8,221 posts, read 9,097,318 times
Quote:
Thinking back on it: said illegals started to disappear noticeably ca. July 2007........never mind our sanctions law was not slated to take effect till 2008.

Remember that we ca. 600K illegal aliens back and and we are down to about 460K............essentially a 25% drop. IMHO: we 'lost' more like ca. 30% of those losers starting 2007.
Yes, the numbers do seem to be dropping...some. But I think a lot of them came back as well. I wrote somewhere that I think our biggest complaint these days is the criminal element here. I would never say that the 460K illegals that are still here are criminal, except that they ARE breaking the law simply by being here, but is the really bad criminal element included in those numbers? I don't know. All I know is that it has gotten way out of hand and something really needs to be done. Fortunately, where I live I don't have to worry about getting in the cross fire of some drug runners, gangs etc. but I do manage to stay out of Phoenix! We do have our share of 'busts' on I-17 though.

We do have a substantial Hispanic population here where I live but many of them are descended from the immigrants who came here to work in the mines. I haven't seen even ONE protest out of any of them as concerns this immigration bill. My neighborhood alone is at least 50% Hispanic and the only complaint I have about them is their loud parties and Mariachi music blasting. But I notice a lot of them have crossed over to rock 'n roll.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Look plenty of answers to this questions, many excuses for this problem, a big negative problem for the U.S. which i believe starts with our lovely FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, who does not give a rat's --- about this problem, that is a plague to this Country, they seem to have their own agenda for this problem they do not want to solve, which i believe they could, if they gave a rat's --- about it. We could come up with all the answers in the world to this pesky problem, and getting worse by the minute, unless you live in Arizona and that State does give a rat's --- about it, and i say more power to them, good for them, they actually have the ----- to stand up to this problem, like it or not, at least they have guts, to want to see something productive done about this negative illegal problem. The buck has to start somewhere.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:47 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
The real probelm is it doesn't take much for most to come here. Lookig at what they go thru it says more about what their country offers than anyhting else. many will come just to have there babies regradless of the tripe Michael Moore puts out.Even they don't thnik being a mexican citizen has much value.I have aisiste-in-law who came legally. Even she say we have a problem and that she would never how go back into Mexico with the corrupton and general danger legal or crime wise.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:19 AM

36 posts, read 56,020 times
Quote:

Yeah your talking about Arizona on the border state huh? Im talking about the Carolinas...
They really turned Charlotte NC into a dump. It use to be alright. They turned my laudry mat into a dump in seconds where I use to live. It smelt like **** in there.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:02 PM

1,856 posts, read 2,025,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
SB1070-
Az solves loud music problem. State bill helps noise pollution.
In Phoenix this is actually a GOOD thing.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:39 PM

358 posts, read 332,648 times
I am so upset at the majority of the posts in this thread. Has ANYONE had the idea that MAYBE it's not corporate greed, but people that use FALSE identification??? In the automotive industry this problem is HUGE, I would have to say 9.5/10 people coming in for work were NOT legal citizens, but would have legal documents supporting their right to work. Forged drivers licenses, fake social security cards, etc... so what do you do? they pay taxes, then within 2 quarters the social security office is sending you a letter telling you the numbers do not match. So you go to the employee, and inquire about it- they promptly leave and go down the street to be employed by your competition. I KNOW THIS FIRSTHAND!! there are ALOT of blue collar jobs in So. Cal. that Americans do not bother applying for, the competition from ILLEGAL MIGRANTS is very fierce. So please take off the rose colored glasses and experience it firsthand, then comment on this subject.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,859,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I've read so many posts where people think that the illegal immigrants are the problem. The business owners that hire them? Not so much of a problem.

Let's be realistic - if the opportunities for a better life are here, the illegal immigrants will continue to come. We can't stop them all. They have little to lose and a lot to gain by coming over here. What's the worst that could happen? If they get caught, they just get sent back to where they came from.

We should have severe penalties for businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants. The businesses will stop hiring illegal immigrants, and the illegal immigrants won't have a reason to come here. Our border patrol will be able to focus on real criminals, like drug smugglers, rather than the people who just want to work.

Of course, we are in a situation where many businesses (such as some farms) simply won't be able to function if they can't hire immigrants. We'll also need to have a fast, simple process for approving work visas for industries that will need workers.

It seems simple enough to me. Wouldn't this solve most of our illegal immigration problems?

Employment enforcement has been tried over and over again. Of course it's met with the same criticism and allegations of racism as the new AZ law every time.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:15 AM

17,279 posts, read 24,965,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Employment enforcement has been tried over and over again. Of course it's met with the same criticism and allegations of racism as the new AZ law every time.
Exactly. Oklahoma tried (or has) an employer centric get tough on illegal immigration law a couple years ago.

The usual suspects were calling it "racist!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or