Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I don't think the borders can be closed. That's my point - if the opportunity is here, people are going to keep coming. There's nothing for them to lose.

Take away the opportunity and most people will stop coming.

Some people mentioned that there are laws that aren't being enforced. Fair enough - enforce the existing laws.
A more than valid point.

Most problems of this magnitude require a multipronged approach. There is no silver bullet, so to speak.

Yes, penalities against businesses should be enforced. No, you will never completely seal the border, but you can cut off most of the traffic and make penalizing businesses all the easier.

Mostly, Mexico should begin to end its system of defacto apartheid, corruption, and victimization, educated her people, develop the country properly, and take her place among the wealthy nations of the world. Can you imagine a Mexico of mostly middle class folks? Who the hell would want to leave?

The thing is we are seeing one of those times when something is being touted as a civil right that is anything but (Personally, I would love to live in Ireland, but I cannot find a way and its their right to say no laddy). Nobody has the right to demand to live in another country, yet a curious coalition of bleeding hearts, greedy businesses, and ethnic lobbies has emerged that is saying exactly that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 12:28 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Because everyone in the corporate world is passing oodles of cash to one another to look the other way. They do not care about the American people, only lining their pockets. I'm hoping this changes. Illegal aliens know they are here illegally, we know it as well and they are responsible for the other half of the problem as well as them defrauding every possible avenue to "give them a better life" at the cost of the average hard working American. That's why.
This is true and without this half of the problem being addressed(even with laws on the books) and the laws enforced.The issue of Illegal Immigration will continue.It is this group that employs them that benefits at the cost of everyone else involved.

Employers and Companies that hire them should be arrested,fined and prosecuted en masse.And not just slapped on the wrist.Without this the problem will continue.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:42 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A more than valid point.

Most problems of this magnitude require a multipronged approach. There is no silver bullet, so to speak.

Yes, penalities against businesses should be enforced. No, you will never completely seal the border, but you can cut off most of the traffic and make penalizing businesses all the easier.

Mostly, Mexico should begin to end its system of defacto apartheid, corruption, and victimization, educated her people, develop the country properly, and take her place among the wealthy nations of the world. Can you imagine a Mexico of mostly middle class folks? Who the hell would want to leave?

The thing is we are seeing one of those times when something is being touted as a civil right that is anything but (Personally, I would love to live in Ireland, but I cannot find a way and its their right to say no laddy). Nobody has the right to demand to live in another country, yet a curious coalition of bleeding hearts, greedy businesses, and ethnic lobbies has emerged that is saying exactly that.
This post is very well thought out. I don't have a "right" to live somewhere or have something based on "want".

Old 04-30-2010, 12:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Neither do I, but good luck getting American business owners to adapt the same attitude. They have been selling us out for decades.
The problem lies in that there is a lot of incentive for them to do that. They're not going to simply change their minds on it. The structure of business (US tax and tax on imports, trade deals etc.) would need to be modified to see this change. I'm not sure there is the politcal will to address it.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
on the left, there are all kinds of animal rights groups, environmental groups, civil liberties groups, etc. that are out there to let americans know which companies are abusing their power. why does the right not have something similar that lets americans know about the use of illegal labor? if the knowledge was there, would the average consumer even care?
The left is actually just as much against illegal labor as any group on the right. That is an issue that crosses over the aisle.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:58 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,114 times
As I've mentioned before, there are entire industries dependent on the exploitation of immigrant labor in this country. If you want to get rid of illegal immigration, in a very real way you will have to completely restructure large sections of the American economic system. That's not easy. And that might require some "pain and discomfort" from people with money, power, and the ability to vote. This law doesn't. I know you say you want those changes to happen too, but until it does, going after the immigrants while the system remains in place is completely hypocritical and disgusting.

People say this law represents "courage," I say its the opposite. If Arizona passed a law kicking out all agricultural and meatpacking/food processing industries unless they were entirely undocumented worker free, that would take courage. If Arizona shut down every restaurant in their state unless they could prove that the people washing the dishes and serving the food were legal, that would take courage. Acts like that would cause "pain and discomfort" to powerful industries, to people who had money, who make campaign contributions, who vote. This doesn't. This causes "pain and discomfort" for the most politically powerless, marginalized group in our society, and them alone. And as it's been said in this forum, most in Arizona support it, so what's the courage? Courage would be telling people they may have to actually change some things, make some sacrifices in their own lives, if they want this problem to be fixed. Courage would be standing up to the powerful majority rather than the powerless minority.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 AM

36 posts, read 66,530 times
The problem guys is that there already here. Theres no more left to cross the bordor. Ive read of deserted mexican towns giving Uncle Sam the SHAFT. The truth hurts guys and gals.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo1052001 View Post
The problem guys is that there already here. Theres no more left to cross the bordor. Ive read of deserted mexican towns giving Uncle Sam the SHAFT. The truth hurts guys and gals.
And we can make sure they leave and no more enter by enforcing our laws on the books already.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo1052001 View Post
Then we need to boot out lots more illegal aliens OUT of the USA.

BTW: I live here in Arizona near a large foreign born Latino enclave and; suffice to say, there have been many good changes since Brewer signed SB1070. To wit: the loud Hispanic music blaring from vehicles is significantly less and more and more folks are packing up and leaving judging by lots of loaded up trucks and trailers with in many cases, Sonora, Mx license plates.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Then we need to boot out lots more illegal aliens OUT of the USA.

BTW: I live here in Arizona near a large foreign born Latino enclave and; suffice to say, there have been many good changes since Brewer signed SB1070. To wit: the loud Hispanic music blaring from vehicles is significantly less and more and more folks are packing up and leaving judging by lots of loaded up trucks and trailers with in many cases, Sonora, Mx license plates.
SB1070-
Az solves loud music problem. State bill helps noise pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration