Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 AM

412 posts, read 939,024 times

Advertisements

I've read so many posts where people think that the illegal immigrants are the problem. The business owners that hire them? Not so much of a problem.

Let's be realistic - if the opportunities for a better life are here, the illegal immigrants will continue to come. We can't stop them all. They have little to lose and a lot to gain by coming over here. What's the worst that could happen? If they get caught, they just get sent back to where they came from.

We should have severe penalties for businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants. The businesses will stop hiring illegal immigrants, and the illegal immigrants won't have a reason to come here. Our border patrol will be able to focus on real criminals, like drug smugglers, rather than the people who just want to work.

Of course, we are in a situation where many businesses (such as some farms) simply won't be able to function if they can't hire immigrants. We'll also need to have a fast, simple process for approving work visas for industries that will need workers.

It seems simple enough to me. Wouldn't this solve most of our illegal immigration problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
There are a plethora of laws against hiring illegals. The problem is a lack of enforcement, not a lack of penalties. Guess what happens when employer sanctions are proposed? Business groups sue, and pro-illegals scream racism.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 AM

36 posts, read 66,504 times
I'd have to disagree with you on the farms would dry up without illegal immigrants issue.
There's millions of ex-cons americans that cant find work due to criminal records haunting them all there lifes. Most would be more than willing to work any job. Because noone will hire them.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:51 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
The majority of Americans, we US tax payers have never hired an Illegal Alien. Shame on those that have. We, the not guilty, want the tax dollar thieves gone.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,670 times
There are a great number of posts, the majority I believe who oppose businesses hiring illegal aliens so I disagree with the conclusion most never address that issue. Stiffer fines, penalties and most importantly the enforcement of laws already on the books are the main staples of this topic. Our Government does not address this problem, citizens are by informing company's "we know the laws", do not support it, turn these cretins in, boycott establishments, challenge status's of fellow employees, etc. Our arm may not be long individually but strong collectively.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
If the federal government would do its job and close the borders, hiring illegals would largely be a moot point. Of course it would happen in some cases, but not tens of millions.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM

412 posts, read 939,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If the federal government would do its job and close the borders, hiring illegals would largely be a moot point. Of course it would happen in some cases, but not tens of millions.
I don't think the borders can be closed. That's my point - if the opportunity is here, people are going to keep coming. There's nothing for them to lose.

Take away the opportunity and most people will stop coming.

Some people mentioned that there are laws that aren't being enforced. Fair enough - enforce the existing laws.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
I don't think the borders can be closed. That's my point - if the opportunity is here, people are going to keep coming. There's nothing for them to lose.

Take away the opportunity and most people will stop coming.

Some people mentioned that there are laws that aren't being enforced. Fair enough - enforce the existing laws.
I don't disagree that we should go after companies that hire them. I think we should do both. Why can't the borders be closed - or at least significantly diminish the illegal traffic across them? Other countries seem to be able to do it.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:37 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
My question is: why aren't CEO's and hiring managers shown on the news going to jail or to trial for hiring illegals?

Have we ever seen any kind of media showing an employer in the bad light? No it is always the illegals being shown the door.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,670 times
Because everyone in the corporate world is passing oodles of cash to one another to look the other way. They do not care about the American people, only lining their pockets. I'm hoping this changes. Illegal aliens know they are here illegally, we know it as well and they are responsible for the other half of the problem as well as them defrauding every possible avenue to "give them a better life" at the cost of the average hard working American. That's why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration