U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475

Advertisements

Quote:
I am saddened today at the prospect of a young Hispanic immigrant in Arizona going to the grocery store and forgetting to bring her passport and immigration documents with her. I cannot be dispassionate about the fact that the very act of her being in the grocery store will soon be a crime in the state she lives in. Or that should a policeman hear her accent and form a “reasonable suspicion” that she is an illegal immigrant, she can – and will – be taken into custody until someone sorts it out, while her children are at home waiting for their dinner.
Equally disturbing is what will happen in the mind of the policeman. The police talk today about how they do not wish to, and will not, engage in racial profiling. Yet faced with the option of using common sense and compassion, or harassing a person who has done nothing wrong, a particularly sinister aspect of Arizona's new immigration law will be hanging over his head. He can be personally sued, by ANYONE, for failing to enforce this inhumane new act.
Quote:
Abominations such as Apartheid do not start with an entire population suddenly becoming inhumane. They start here. They start with generalizing unwanted characteristics across an entire segment of a population. They start with trying to solve a problem by asserting superior force over a population. They start with stripping people of rights and dignity – such as the right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty – that you yourself enjoy. Not because it is right, but because you can. And because somehow, you think this is going to solve a problem.
However, when you strip a man or a woman of their basic human rights, you strip them of their dignity in the eyes of their family and their community, and even in their own eyes. An immigrant who is charged with the crime of trespassing for simply being in a community without his papers on him is being told he is committing a crime by simply being. He or she feels degraded and feels they are of less worth than others of a different color skin. These are the seeds of resentment, hostilities and in extreme cases, conflict.
TheCommunity.com — Blog — Arizona -- the wrong answer (http://thecommunity.com/blog/2010/04/28/arizona-the-wrong-answer/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
If we don't stop this law, we will become the next Apartheid. There are other ways to solve the illegal immigration problem. Let's start with enforcing our border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:52 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
I am saddened today at the prospect of a young Hispanic immigrant in Arizona going to the grocery store and forgetting to bring her passport and immigration documents with her. I cannot be dispassionate about the fact that the very act of her being in the grocery store will soon be a crime in the state she lives in.
What nonsense. Though federal law requires immigrants and resident aliens to carry documents at all times, nothing in the AZ law criminalizes "being in a grocery store." I swear, the world has gone mad. First, the birthers. Then the deathers. Now the grocery storers. We need a giant dose of reality. God? If you exist? Please sprinkle some sense on your people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:01 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What nonsense. Though federal law requires immigrants and resident aliens to carry documents at all times, nothing in the AZ law criminalizes "being in a grocery store." I swear, the world has gone mad. First, the birthers. Then the deathers. Now the grocery storers. We need a giant dose of reality. God? If you exist? Please sprinkle some sense on your people.
Racial profiling and descrimination as a means to check legality is the issue. I hope God does sprinkle some sense and wisdom to those that really need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Racial profiling and descrimination as a means to check legality is the issue. I hope God does sprinkle some sense and wisdom to those that really need it.
And you think cops will be hanging out in grocery stores to nab brown people? LMAO! Methinks the sense truck passed the good archbishop by. And you too, if you agree with him. But go ahead, call me a raaaaaaaaacist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
And you think cops will be hanging out in grocery stores to nab brown people? LMAO! Methinks the sense truck passed the good archbishop by. And you too, if you agree with him. But go ahead, call me a raaaaaaaaacist.
They have done it to my family right around the corner from their church...just waiting for people to come out.

The only thing I can call you is misinformed.

Here is another Nobel Peace Prize winner joining the fight:

Rigoberta Menchu

Quote:
St. Louis-based Missouri Immigrant and Refugee Advocates, along with the United Methodist Women, 1992 Nobel Peace Prize winner Rigoberta Menchú, and others will hold a march and vigil in St. Louis calling for city and county ordinances to outlaw racial profiling, and to call for keeping families together, ending immigration detentions and deportations, protecting workers' rights and supporting what the groups call just immigration reform.

Last edited by zacatecana; 04-30-2010 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: http://suburbanjournals.stltoday.com/articles/2010/04/29/north/news/0428nc-immigrate0.txt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:25 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
They have done it to my family right around the corner from their church...just waiting for people to come out.

The only thing I can call you is misinformed.
And I'm calling BS.

Do you really think cops will be checking papers at Safeway? Seriously. Do you really think that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
And I'm calling BS.

Do you really think cops will be checking papers at Safeway? Seriously. Do you really think that?
Whole heartedly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 AM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Whole heartedly!
Stick to watching soap operas. As much as you wish it to pass, reality won't bend to fit your sick "everyone's a racist" fantasy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:43 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Stick to watching soap operas. As much as you wish it to pass, reality won't bend to fit your sick "everyone's a racist" fantasy.
AZ law will be overturned. It's not a fantasy and I never said everyone was a racist.

Archibishop D Tutu has provided some very insightful information about when a community becomes intolerant of an ethnicity or community. I just think there are better ways to deal with illegal immigration. I'm not alone in this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top