U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:09 AM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,124 posts, read 21,348,150 times
Reputation: 22761

Advertisements

"political and philanthropic adviser" - well, I guess she's so brilliant she needs someone to tell her what her politics are and isn't capable of figuring out for herself how to "give back".

Probably because this is the only way she knows how to "give back":

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/...10-Shakira.jpg

So when she met with the police, did she fling herself to the floor and writhe around like a cat in heat? I'm sure that would have been an effective tool in getting her point across.

I can't believe anyone would take this low-rent Charo seriously regarding US/AZ legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
2,212 posts, read 4,521,488 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
let her take them in to live with her (somewhere else) if she's "so concerned." cook for them...pay all of their bills from her job. Roll up her sleeves, flip some pancakes in the air in a slo mo video. Shakira sings..."I care" la la la..... honk honk
She just wants to sell albums and concert tickets. Very few people don't have a selfish reason for having a "dog in the fight".

You'll also notice, when they flash photos and roll footage of the Hispanic protestors, that they like to put the camera right in the middle of the crowd to make it look like there are more protestors there. Take time to REALLY look at the photos and you'll see about a dozen protestors and even more reporters. Many Hispanic citizens in Phoenix are in favor of this law...they understand that crime has gotten out of control and also see that until the illegals and the criminals are sent somewhere else, they will continue to get "lumped in" with them because of their skin color. There is a great Hispanic community and culture in Phoenix and it's being drowned out by the criminal elements that are now overshadowing everything. It's just a few days until Cinco de Mayo and Phoenix knows how to throw a great party. It's unfortunate that many are choosing sides that they would normally have ignored because there was a respect of the Hispanic culture in Phoenix that is being drowned out by protestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
2,212 posts, read 4,521,488 times
Reputation: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I can't believe anyone would take this low-rent Charo seriously regarding US/AZ legislation.
They aren't. The only people who think it's great she came to Phoenix are the ones who are against the law anyway. Most who are for it are saying to themselves, "Who's Shakira?" Celebrities make no difference for anyone except those who already are on their side. It makes people feel good, I suppose, to think they are in with the popular crowd. I doubt anyone heard Shakira on CNN last night and changed their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,924,189 times
Reputation: 3028
I watched her “performance” on CNN last night. Holding back tears, she implored this country not to make “victims” of the Latino women who are already victims of domestic violence. She said these hardworking women are afraid to report their abuse to police for fear of being separated from their children. Funny, the law hasn’t even been implemented, yet it has already traumatized these women. I’m sure if they call 911 to report being battered, the first question from the operator will be, “Are you an illegal alien?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 10:28 AM
 
181 posts, read 276,028 times
Reputation: 170
Shakira needs to understand that there are American CITIZENS that can't go to the ER because they are afraid of the astronomical bill they will receive BECAUSE citizens have to pay for the cost of the illegals that come in and abuse services and then refuse to pay.

I don't agree with profiling, but I agree that illegals need to GTFO of the USA and not be allowed to abuse the system any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Some Beach... Somewhere...
4,604 posts, read 3,879,731 times
Reputation: 4766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I watched her “performance” on CNN last night. Holding back tears, she implored this country not to make “victims” of the Latino women who are already victims of domestic violence. She said these hardworking women are afraid to report their abuse to police for fear of being separated from their children. Funny, the law hasn’t even been implemented, yet it has already traumatized these women. I’m sure if they call 911 to report being battered, the first question from the operator will be, “Are you an illegal alien?”
Can't she take a few million of them to the Bahamas with her? Maybe they could keep busy making beds and cleaning in her palatial estate there. Or be background dancers for her, writhing and cavorting as she sings? There are lots of possibilities outside of Arizona.

Oh, what's that? The Bahamas doesn't want them? Why isn't she appealing to the governments of the Bahamas and/or Columbia to help them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 AM
 
7,022 posts, read 5,832,681 times
Reputation: 6973
WTF? Shakira's not even American. Stupid ignorant foreign b*tch needs to butt out of US politics and culture which she clearly has no understanding of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"political and philanthropic adviser" - well, I guess she's so brilliant she needs someone to tell her what her politics are and isn't capable of figuring out for herself how to "give back".

Probably because this is the only way she knows how to "give back":

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/...10-Shakira.jpg

So when she met with the police, did she fling herself to the floor and writhe around like a cat in heat? I'm sure that would have been an effective tool in getting her point across.
I can't believe anyone would take this low-rent Charo seriously regarding US/AZ legislation.
I'm no big fan of Shakira, of course she is doing it for PR purposes, I personally hate her voice but I hate when people make blank statement like that without verifying the facts. She is a philanthropist Check your facts before you post them. Here's a link to her US-based non-profit foundation.

Barefoot Foundation (http://www.barefootfoundation.com/pages/about/about_main_en.php - broken link)

EDIT: she opened this foundation many years ago when she was only 18 years old. Way before she was famous in the USA. Way before it was cool to have your own charity. Like I said I'm not fan of hers(and I'm Colombian too and know her since the 90's) but as far as her character she is one of the few artists that I think is genuine, even though I don't agree with the things she said this time. I don't agree with the law but I don't agree either with providing most social services to illegal immigrants.

Yes she uses a lot of sex images but that is something her PR people created in the USA to try to hide her horrible voice. I don't understand a word she says because she has the most awkward accent when she sings. But I don't judge her character because I think her foundation at least, whatever her motives is helping vulnerable children.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 04-30-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,924,189 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Can't she take a few million of them to the Bahamas with her? Maybe they could keep busy making beds and cleaning in her palatial estate there. Or be background dancers for her, writhing and cavorting as she sings? There are lots of possibilities outside of Arizona.

Oh, what's that? The Bahamas doesn't want them? Why isn't she appealing to the governments of the Bahamas and/or Columbia to help them?
No sooner than the ink dries on her final concert check, she’ll be back in the Bahamas, without a solitary thought for the welfare of these women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,124 posts, read 21,348,150 times
Reputation: 22761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I'm no big fan of Shakira, of course she is doing it for PR purposes, I personally hate her voice but I hate when people make blank statement like that without verifying the facts. She is a philanthropist Check your facts before you post them. Here's a link to her US-based non-profit foundation.

Barefoot Foundation (http://www.barefootfoundation.com/pages/about/about_main_en.php - broken link)

Maybe you shouldn't be so judgmental.
Maybe you misunderstood my post - I was pointing out that she has an adviser for her philanthropy/politics. The rest (the link) was in jest. Or did you think I was posting a photo of Shakira's ass as a "fact"??

The fact remains that her opinion about the AZ bill makes no difference and she isn't even American. The fact remains that she is milking this for PR. The fact remains that she doesn't even return to her own country of origin because she doesn't think it's safe.

Her sobbing about victimization of hispanic women in AZ in relation to this law is out of touch with reality. Just like Shakira.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top