U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM

313 posts, read 295,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Who's Shakira?
Never heard of him/her.
Does Shakria have a PhD in some relevant field, which might make what he/she says valuable information?
Whats your educational background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 02:53 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
I respect Shakira, who despite being rich and famous, went into disguise just so she could continue her education at UCLA.

Don't discount her as less smart because she's more attractive.

Your comments are trashy, and attack someone just for having a different political stance. But I honestly expected to find these kinds of comments on a thread about a supporter of human/immigrant rights.

You guys are like snarling wolves.
I was just about to say that. My sister had a class with her at UCLA and she says Shakira would always come to class with hats to cover her face.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I was just about to say that. My sister had a class with her at UCLA and she says Shakira would always come to class wuth hats to cover her face.
She doesn't seem like the average pop star seeking good publicity. Even being rich, she seeks education, and has used her money and fame for many good causes.

These people on here can support the bill, but to attack her character in such a baseless manner shows many of their real characters.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Shakira, unlike Paul Rodriguez who cancelled shows in AZ, us quite famous and has no problem replacing concerts in other states.

I too have been following Shakira since the 90's before she moved to the US and now Bahamas. Why are people so judgemental about her being a Colombian? For all we know, she could have dual citizenship. She spent a gear number of years living in Miami.

Besides the charity work in Colombia, a week or so ago, she visited Haiti and promised to build a school for children, victims of the quake.

I agree with Princess, this is not about social services for illegal immigrants. This is about racial profiling.
Except that racial profiling is illegal in AZ.
Despite what advocates and idiots (like our president) have been saying this isn't a law that allows profiling or harassing people. It specifically prohibits profiling. Already when the police have reason to question you they ask for ID. With the new law if they have reason to question you (the same reasons they might have had before) and you DON'T have ID you won't be sent merrily on your way, they will try to ascertain if you are or are not a citizen.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,255,825 times
Shakira can do whatever she wants. The government and the media can choose to listen or not. I am only concerned of her motives, which I assume are a combination of concern and greed. Between having concern for the welfare of fellow human beings(good) and the income potential of your fans to buy your product being higher if their in the United States and the hypocrisy of speaking out for people she probably looks down upon in a social sense anyway(bad). The net effect being "null".

Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Except that racial profiling is illegal in AZ.
Despite what advocates and idiots (like our president) have been saying this isn't a law that allows profiling or harassing people. It specifically prohibits profiling. Already when the police have reason to question you they ask for ID. With the new law if they have reason to question you (the same reasons they might have had before) and you DON'T have ID you won't be sent merrily on your way, they will try to ascertain if you are or are not a citizen.
Oh, it's illegal, and they said it's illegal, so that means its not going to happen.
I think...racial profiling is illegal in all of America, so that means it doesn't happen at all.

That's a load off my mind. Thanks yank.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Shakira can do whatever she wants. The government and the media can choose to listen or not. I am only concerned of her motives, which I assume are a combination of concern and greed. Between having concern for the welfare of fellow human beings(good) and the income potential of your fans to buy your product being higher if their in the United States and the hypocrisy of speaking out for people she probably looks down upon in a social sense anyway(bad).
Greed?

Do you think she needs the American market with Latin America right next door and Europe and Japan surely supporting her music?

Always assuming the worst out of anyone that disagrees with you guys. She's an idealist. There are idealists in this world who actually care about others, and not just those that have the same mindset.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
If she is a citizen then she has a right to state her opinion and get involved in whatever manner she chooses. If not, butt out.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:20 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
She don't need no stinkin' passport!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
What is Carmen Miranda's opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or