Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 6,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I was just about to say that. My sister had a class with her at UCLA and she says Shakira would always come to class with hats to cover her face.
Does your sister have Shakira's phone number by any chance? Seriously, though, I'd hit that up-- becaues Columbian woman are demons in the sack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Who cares what Shakira thinks?

She's a bizarre little individual anyway. I have a difficult time taking her seriously.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:09 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpayaso View Post
I respect Shakira, who despite being rich and famous, went into disguise just so she could continue her education at UCLA.

Don't discount her as less smart because she's more attractive.

Your comments are trashy, and attack someone just for having a different political stance. But I honestly expected to find these kinds of comments on a thread about a supporter of human/immigrant rights.

You guys are like snarling wolves.
Talk about snarling wolves - did you set this one up?

YouTube - Shakira - She Wolf

Where did I ever mention her smarts or her attractiveness? My beef was with the fact that she hired a person to advise her on what her politics are. Clearly, you didn't get the message. So is Mad TV racially profiling the serious, studious, 'rich and famous' Shakira in this clip too? Face it - not too many people take Shakira seriously.

YouTube - MAD TV Shakira - Mo Collins

BTW - is that all you've got? Scold the posters you disagree with instead of explaining why Shakira's (or for that matter, any celebrity's whether Latino or not) opinion matters to the state of AZ's lawmakers and citizens? You appear to be one of the more pugnacious posters in the immigration forum. You must be such fun at parties.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Maybe someone will kidnap her while she's in Phoenix since that's the kidnapping capital of the country.

Her advisor should tell her kidnappings are against the law in the USA.

Quote:
Its capital, Phoenix, has been labeled the "kidnapping capital" of the United States. The kidnappings are for ransom. Most victims and suspects are tied to drug smuggling and usually are traced to Mexico. Arizona is the drug gateway to this country, accounting for about half of all the marijuana seized along the border.

In 2008, reported kidnappings in Phoenix climbed to 366 and in the first 11 months of 2009, the number reached 302.
http://www.barnesville.com/archives/...ment-wont.html

Old 04-30-2010, 04:21 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Maybe someone will kidnap her while she's in Phoenix since that's the kidnapping capital of the country.

Arizona law aims at doing what federal government won't - Barnesville.com
From your lips to god's ears.....

Old 04-30-2010, 04:27 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
Quote:

Arizona law aims at doing what federal government won't - Barnesville.com
Yes, it surpassed Colombia, so now I guess Shakira can pack her bags in the Bahamas and move back.

BTW, I don't care if Shakira has an opinion of Arizona politics. I'd be surprised if someone didn't...I'm especially surprised at polls of people who say they haven't heard what's going on. I also don't appreciate someone here saying we're just hostile towards her because she's hot. That's ridiculous.

My hostility of her and everyone else who thinks their celebrity status gives them more insight into the state of affairs in Arizona, is that she is no one. She's a singer. Her trip and meeting with the mayor of Arizona doesn't need to be given as much press coverage as a head of state. The girl thought it was okay to meet with a state official wearing a wife-beater tank top.

Sing, Shakira. If you feel like giving your time to charity, that's great too. I have no problem with people in the entertainment industry doing what they want to do as long as they don't get the idea that just because you can get your face on tv, doesn't mean you have any idea what's going on.

I also wonder if Shakira, on her whirlwind tour of Phoenix to tell everyone who supports the bill how bad they are, bothered to stop by to offer condolences to Robert Krentz's family.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:31 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Yes, it surpassed Colombia, so now I guess Shakira can pack her bags in the Bahamas and move back.

BTW, I don't care if Shakira has an opinion of Arizona politics. I'd be surprised if someone didn't...I'm especially surprised at polls of people who say they haven't heard what's going on. I also don't appreciate someone here saying we're just hostile towards her because she's hot. That's ridiculous.

My hostility of her and everyone else who thinks their celebrity status gives them more insight into the state of affairs in Arizona, is that she is no one. She's a singer. Her trip and meeting with the mayor of Arizona doesn't need to be given as much press coverage as a head of state. The girl thought it was okay to meet with a state official wearing a wife-beater tank top.

Sing, Shakira. If you feel like giving your time to charity, that's great too. I have no problem with people in the entertainment industry doing what they want to do as long as they don't get the idea that just because you can get your face on tv, doesn't mean you have any idea what's going on.

I also wonder if Shakira, on her whirlwind tour of Phoenix to tell everyone who supports the bill how bad they are, bothered to stop by to offer condolences to Robert Krentz's family.
That statement says it all.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,448,181 times
Quote:

I'll tell you what it is...

These celebs (left wingers) think that this is the "civil rights" subject of the moment. They think it's akin to what was going on in the 1960's and they all want to lend their names to give "support" for the huddled masses yearning to breathe free. They are jumping on the publicity bandwagon for all the wrong reasons and they all look so stupid doing it. A foreign national has NO BUSINESS meddling in the affairs of this country. Celebs need to be INFORMED first hand about what is going on in this country, I know what kind of bubbles they live in and let me tell you they think they are so above it all until something presents itself so they can "lend their name" to show that they're "in the know". Meanwhile they look like ignorant fools.

In the 1960's there were musicians who also marched and boycotted with King, so they think it's equivalent to that. The one singular truth of the matter they ignore - we're talking about ILLEGAL ALIENS who have no legal right to be in the USA PERIOD.

They all look like complete and total fools.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
Quote:
In the 1960's there were musicians who also marched and boycotted with King, so they think it's equivalent to that. The one singular truth of the matter they ignore - we're talking about ILLEGAL ALIENS who have no legal right to be in the USA PERIOD.

They all look like complete and total fools.
I lived in Arizona for 14 years and my husband's family is from there. This really isn't about illegal immigration, either, I don't think. Arizona has had a long-standing, slightly rocky relationship with illegal immigrants. Most Arizonans understood that many who were coming were willing to risk their lives and then work hard. You'd hear from a lot of Arizonans that they were angry about the "drain" on the system, but there was sort of a "live and let live" philosophy because Arizonans mostly understood that they provided the cheap labor that Americans demand.

The final straw was the murdered rancher in Arizona, but it has been building up over the last few years because it's not just the hardworking Mexican coming to make a better life for his family that's the problem. If the average illegal worker can get across the border, surely it was just a matter of time until the drug cartels found out that the border in Arizona is porous. Rarely does a month go by without another drop house being discovered and full of illegals being kept in a house while their family must pay a ransom. A year ago, rival gangs of "coyotes" (human smugglers) had a shoot-out that closed down I-10 because the gangs wanted to control yet another van load of illegals. Phoenix police officers are being murdered, the border patrol has been taking gunfire at a much higher level than ever before.

It's not the illegals who are working hard that is behind this bill. It's the crime that has followed and Arizona has cried out for help and never received it. Finally, they have to take matters into their own hands and now, guess what? Congress is finally being FORCED to do something because Arizonans are telling them "fix it or we will."

And yet we hear from Shakira, Ricky Martin and George Lopez that this bill is "wrong." No, what's wrong is doing nothing about a crime wave that puts Phoenix on the same level as NYC despite NYC having 5 times the population. I would like these so called Latino Oracles to tell us what should be done? Open the borders? Make everyone a citizen? Turn the other way when a rancher, a man who put out water jugs so the illegals crossing through his land wouldn't die of dehydration, is murdered?

You're right...they do look like fools. Perhaps they could use their celebrity for another fundraiser to clean up the massive oil spill in the Gulf. Surely there is a bird that could use Shakira's loving hand to wipe the oil out of its feathers. It would sure beat having to hear her talk to us about our country's constitution.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:04 PM

8,608 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
I lived in Arizona for 14 years and my husband's family is from there. This really isn't about illegal immigration, either, I don't think. Arizona has had a long-standing, slightly rocky relationship with illegal immigrants. Most Arizonans understood that many who were coming were willing to risk their lives and then work hard. You'd hear from a lot of Arizonans that they were angry about the "drain" on the system, but there was sort of a "live and let live" philosophy because Arizonans mostly understood that they provided the cheap labor that Americans demand.

The final straw was the murdered rancher in Arizona, but it has been building up over the last few years because it's not just the hardworking Mexican coming to make a better life for his family that's the problem. If the average illegal worker can get across the border, surely it was just a matter of time until the drug cartels found out that the border in Arizona is porous. Rarely does a month go by without another drop house being discovered and full of illegals being kept in a house while their family must pay a ransom. A year ago, rival gangs of "coyotes" (human smugglers) had a shoot-out that closed down I-10 because the gangs wanted to control yet another van load of illegals. Phoenix police officers are being murdered, the border patrol has been taking gunfire at a much higher level than ever before.

It's not the illegals who are working hard that is behind this bill. It's the crime that has followed and Arizona has cried out for help and never received it. Finally, they have to take matters into their own hands and now, guess what? Congress is finally being FORCED to do something because Arizonans are telling them "fix it or we will."

And yet we hear from Shakira, Ricky Martin and George Lopez that this bill is "wrong." No, what's wrong is doing nothing about a crime wave that puts Phoenix on the same level as NYC despite NYC having 5 times the population. I would like these so called Latino Oracles to tell us what should be done? Open the borders? Make everyone a citizen? Turn the other way when a rancher, a man who put out water jugs so the illegals crossing through his land wouldn't die of dehydration, is murdered?

You're right...they do look like fools. Perhaps they could use their celebrity for another fundraiser to clean up the massive oil spill in the Gulf. Surely there is a bird that could use Shakira's loving hand to wipe the oil out of its feathers. It would sure beat having to hear her talk to us about our country's constitution.
I bet she could just shake the oil off of the birdies...Go put yourself to good use Shakira.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration