U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Shakira is deeply concerned about the impact of this law on hardworking Latino families," said Trevor Nielson, the singer's political and philanthropic adviser. "She is coming to Arizona to try to learn more about how law enforcement is reacting to this new law and how we can ensure that people in the state of Arizona are not being targeted because of the color of their skin."

He said Shakira canceled other commitments to make the visit and also planned to meet with Hispanic families in Phoenix to see how they'd be affected by the law.

Nielson said Shakira also sought to meet with Brewer during her visit to Phoenix, but that the governor's director of scheduling told Nielson it wouldn't be possible because the governor was booked.
Shakira came to AZ to meet with Phoenix City Police and mayor. However, she was unable to meet with the mayor. Shakira has vowed to fight the AZ immigration law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:16 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Here is the link:

Shakira visits Phoenix over tough immigration law | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record

Old 04-30-2010, 06:36 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Shakira couldn't meet with the mayor because he no longer supports boycotting Arizona. At least he is showing some intelligence regarding his state. Sorry, but I feel most celebrities jump on these band wagons for publicity. Would she have come here if she were a stay at home Mom or factory worker? I doubt it.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,829,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Would she have come here if she were a stay at home Mom or factory worker? I doubt it.
If she's not a US citizen, then she doesn't have a dog in this fight. While she's entitled to her opinions, she should not be appearing in public in an attempt to influence policy of a country where she is nothing more than a guest. According to what I could find, she was born in and is a citizen of Columbia, and resides in the Bahamas.

There are plenty of problems in Columbia if she's in a problem-solving mood.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:47 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
It's obvious these celebs have never had to sit in an ER for 14 hours.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 AM

10,652 posts, read 11,345,369 times
Screw Shakira! Shut up and dance for me.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,851 times
Ah yes, Shakira...the Colombian Oracle of the American Constitution.

She was on Anderson Cooper last night and was trying to appeal to the average American.

She said that the illegals won't be able to get medical care (not true) and they won't be able to use government child care so that they can work.

Uh...thank you for spelling out exactly WHY they should leave.

BTW, don't believe for one minute that Shakira, she of Colombian citizenship who thinks Colombia is so dangerous (though Phoenix is now higher on the kidnapping scale) that she lives in the Bahamas.

She is starting a tour in a few months and wants to jump on the publicity bandwagon.

Very few people don't have a selfish reason for jumping on or off this bandwagon. Politicians want the electoral votes, Shakira wants concert tickets sold, other states want to deflect their citizens from focusing on the issues that are taking place in their hometowns, Al Sharpton just needs another way to explain to people that it's the "evil white folks who are keeping them from reaching their full potential", the Mexican-Americans who are protesting are usually in favor (and will say so if asked) of giving the entire SW region "back to Mexico" since it was "stolen", and the racists (who I won't pretend aren't out there) finally have a platform to make anyone with different colored skin "go home" (though, like my in-laws, Arizona has been "home" for generations even though they are Hispanic).

Old 04-30-2010, 08:39 AM

4,507 posts, read 7,824,676 times
Did they ask to see her papers??

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Did they ask to see her papers??
No because she wasn't doing anything "suspect."

BTW, she went on national tv last night and said she had no documentation...not a passport, nothing.

The problem people like Shakira and those who like to bloviate from a state far away is that they assume Phoenix police officers will detain every person with dark skin. Having lived in Phoenix for more than a decade, I can assure you that the Phoenix police officers are used to Hispanic people and aren't going to be "rounding" people up. It's such a stupid argument...as if the police BEFORE this law went into affect were nothing to protest over (meaning they weren't taking people and putting them in a holding cell when they were out for ice cream) and now suddenly, they're the Gestapo.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
let her take them in to live with her (somewhere else) if she's "so concerned." cook for them...pay all of their bills from her job. Roll up her sleeves, flip some pancakes in the air in a slo mo video. Shakira sings..."I care" la la la..... honk honk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or